DecAid - Honouring 10 Years in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by DecAid, Oct 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Prime Minister, David Cameron, has declared that “he cannot think of a more important cause” than the DecAid campaign which is set to raise over £350,000 for those affected by the war in Afghanistan. An ambitious team of students from the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth lead the ‘DecAid’ campaign, which will honour the decade long contribution of British Armed Forces in Afghanistan since 2001.

Mr Cameron announced in a recent letter that he is “delighted to pay tribute to the excellent initiative and very much hope that DecAid will be the outstanding success that it deserves to be.”

The DecAid campaign, which was officially launched earlier this month in London and Exeter is set to dominate 2011 in a coordinated year-long campaign.The appeal has organised a series of extreme physical challenges and memorial ceremonies which will involve several thousand people nationally, including ex-servicemen, their families and friends.

DecAid events include:

The opening ceremony, a spectacular ‘Massed Pipes and Drums’ event, on 26th June 2011, which will see 2,011 musicians march along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, in conjunction with the Armed Forces Day events.
    • The ‘Munro Mission’, in Scotland, which aims to conquer 283 mountains in 45 days, climbing the height of Mount Everest every three days.
    • ‘The Ride 2 Remember’ static bike race from London to Kabul.
    • ‘The Big Tow’, where vehicles will be towed around Rockingham race track in a tri-service competition.
    • ‘Stretched to the Limit’, in which 30 teams will attempt the arduous trek up Snowdon, the highest mountain in England and Wales, carrying a heavy stretcher.

The DecAid enterprise will donate to three service charities:

• ‘Soldiers, Sailors, Airmens and Families Association’ (SSAFA),
    • ‘The British Limbless Ex-Servicemen Association’ (BLESMA), and
    • ‘Talking 2 Minds’.

As well as its own proceedings, DecAid will oversee individually organised events which can be advertised on their website www.decaid.co.uk. All of the money raised will go towards helping those affected by the decade long conflict in Afghanistan.

As Mr Cameron emphasised: “It is so important that, as a country, we fully recognise what our soldiers, sailors and airmen do on our behalf, the service they give to our country and the immense sacrifices they make every day of the week.”

DecAid’s most recent initiative, a Christmas card competition to recognise the 10th Christmas in Afghanistan, received entries from all over the country. The winning Christmas cards, chosen by DecAid’s patron, Hamish Clark, will be on sale on the DecAid website next week.

2. Those injured from Service since 2001 are very well catered for by H4H and the plethora of other “Charities” which have sprung up since 9/11. It is those who served before who need help. Your use of Armed Forces Day to fund raise money for yet another new Service Charity will deny the long established Service Benevolent Funds, who use the AFD to collect for all injured and needy Ex Servicemen, a unique opportunity to raise essential funds.
    You are also driving a wedge between those who served just as valiantly in many theatres of war since 1945 and those who served post 2001. The feeling amongst the former is that they do not matter and it is only Telic and Herrick which produces needy heroes. This is reinforced in spades by charities such as yours and the others new “Kids on the Service Charity Block”.

OC

3. Old codger. I think that's a bit harsh - it is a fundraising initiative for SSAFA, BLESMA, and Talking2Minds, not a new charity that might take money or attention away from them.

4. Oldcodger, you seem to have missed/misread/misunderstood this bit of the post.

I'm sure you are aware that SSAFA and BLESMA have a long history of supporting those in need, and do not restrict themselves to recent conflicts.

5. Good aim, much appreciated. Please note there was an army doing stuff before Afghanistan and there were plenty of us being injured.

However the name DecAid is pushing use of names a bit much surely? DEC is the big Aid organisation which pulls funds together for the big disasters on behalf of major UK charities. Is DecAid actually linked to DEC?

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Would it not be written DECAid then?

7. I donate direct so it's not a concern for me. My query is due to the way major organisations are very protective of their names and even very thin links to the name usage. This could impact on the good work of both Dec Aid and DEC in my humble view.

8. I thought the between the charities they've tried to cover everything?
    E.g. H4H is fantastic with a lot of support - But aren't they focused on rehab. E.g. It's broke, do what you can to fix it and set them up so they can support themselves through life? Many other charities do other longer term work over many years and form groups, to say, allow people to have a support network for life- such as BLESMA? H4H might end up with this as well, not sure, been out 10 years so I stick my money in the pot, run a couple of miles to raise cash and read up on websites.
    Don't forget all of the legal aspects that a lot fo the charities do as well.

9. Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall has generously agreed to support the young team running the DecAid appeal by becoming their Royal Patron. DecAid is set to raise over £350,000 for those affected by the war in Afghanistan. The idea of an ambitious team of students from the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, DecAid will mark the decade-long commitment of British Armed Forces in Afghanistan.

Her Royal Highness’s affirmation comes just weeks after Prime Minister, David Cameron, stated in a personal letter that he is “delighted to pay tribute to the excellent initiative and very much hope that DecAid will be the outstanding success that it deserves to be.”

DecAid, which was officially launched in October this year, is organising a coordinated year-long campaign. The appeal has organised a series of extreme physical challenges which will involve several thousand people nationally, including ex-servicemen, their families and friends. Other events include a spectacular ‘Massed Pipes and Drums’ event, in which 2,011 musicians will march along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. The DecAid events will culminate in October 2011 with a ‘Light for Life’ ceremony in Salisbury Cathedral, which will mark the 10th Anniversary of the War in Afghanistan.

As the sole Royal Patron of DecAid The Duchess of Cornwall joins a number of other influential supporters of the charity, including General Sir Nick Parker KCB CBE AdC Gen Commander-in-Chief of Land Forces and BBC war correspondent, Martin Bell.

The team running DecAid are all aged under 25 and working voluntarily. All funds raised will be donated to three service charities:
    • ‘Soldiers, Sailors, Airmens and Families Association’ (SSAFA Forces Help),
    • ‘The British Limbless Ex-Servicemen Association’ (BLESMA), and
    • ‘Talking 2 Minds’.

DecAid is currently seeking corporate sponsors to fund the running of the major events. Their sponsorship packages offer excellent marketing opportunities for the sponsors and an ideal opportunity for companies to show their support for the service personnel and their families.

Further information on DecAid can be found on Dec Aid Website || DecAid

10. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just thought I'd let everyone know that we actually know the guys behind this personally (well Evil_Adj does) and they are a top bunch of blokes.

You also cannot fault their ambition (£350k) and success in getting Royal Patronage (not easy, I'll wager ....). Wonder how many people around here had done anything similar before they were 25. I certainly know I wouldn't have tried anything like this!

11. Cannot disagree with the points above but at the same time I tend to agree with OC's points also. Whilst i can see that Blesma etc. will be beneficiaries; is the GBP350,000 before or after costs?

Because that is the problem with the proliferation of charities all the admin cost are deducted before anyone sees a penny. And, without, I hope, being to harsh on the very good intentions of the wide variety of adventures that people enjoy; it does seem that many make little or no personal contribution (other than said adventure).

12. bokkatankie,

Our goal is to raise £350,000 which will be split evenly between the three charities. Not a penny of the money that is donated to us has been/ is/ or will be used to cover the costs of putting on the events that we are running.

There is obvioulsy quite a substantial cost in putting on the events that we want to and these costs are being covered entirely by corporate sponsorship which means that absolutely every penny that we raise will go exactly where it should....to the charities.

Hope that clears it up a bit! And thanks for the comments!

13. In which case I will be delighted to support you.

14. Thank you very much!! You can see more about what we are doing here: Dec Aid Website || DecAid

And you'll find us on facebook, twitter, youtube, flickr if you do a search!

15. Sadly my donation will not make much of a dent but every little helps and good luck.