Debts and vetting

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by usmarox, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm in the process of sorting out a payment plan with my creditors at the moment; I won't bore you with the details, but something needed to be done and this was it.

My question is, am I likely to lose my security clearance? I'm cleared to SC at the moment, and I know the official line is "reasonable debt, responsibly managed..." etc etc, but what's DVA's opinion of reasonable management? Obviously by even going down this route I'm admitting things are potentially getting out of hand, but...?

I'm going to speak to my PSAO about it, but I won't be able to do so for at least a fortnight or so, so any guidance in the meantime would be gladly recieved.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I had debt issues while getting cleared for SC but no dramas with the SC itself.

Had lived in loads of addresses including abroad with all sorts of students (this was just after graduating).

Eventually defaulted on the loan and paid it off having just started a new job that same month! Lucky me!

Took 4 or 5 months for the clearance to go through mind.

I don't know what the average is...

Bet they had fun with it!
  3. I can't give chapter and verse but from what I've been informed so long as you are taking reasonable measures to pay off your debt and it is declared then it may not be a problem.

BTW I have a connection with your avatar are you still with them?