Discussion in 'Infantry' started by adamd, Jul 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Newbie - so go easy on me!

So last night, i went to begin the process of signing up at my local AFCO. I'm 21 - had a cracking past couple of years since i left college, did a bit of travelling, partied a lot etc, and picked up the obvious credit card debt. Now i feel i'm ready to dowhat i've always wanted to do and sign up.

So things were going great last night - started talking with the recruiter, and all of a sudden he asks do i have any debt?!? I was a bit taken a-back by this one, thinking it not relevant to my desire to join the Infabtry, but was honest and informed him of the couple of grand i have on credit cards. To which he replied "well you need to get rid of that before you start selection!" He even said it like it wasn't a problem, just in passing!!

So my reason for posting is, can i wait the two years it's going to take me to clear the debt and apply then, or will i look a bit out of place applying at the grand old age of 23/24?

Alternatively, any ideas to earn the couple of grand in a couple of weeks so i can get my arrse signed up?!

2. I don't see why the recruiter thinks it is a problem. All they are worried about is that you can pay the debt without problems from your Army pay. Obviously, they don't want Bailiffs, Court action etc on serving soldiers as it brings the Army into disrepute.
  3. Debt is not a problem. Tell any recruiter that joining the Army will help you to pay it off! Better than being unemployed. An operational tour will sort out your problems. You do need to show, though, that you have faced up to the problem and are trying to deal with it.
  4. Drug dealing, pimping, stealing (ciggarettes, alcohol and computer hardware are popular choices) as well as the usual petrol station banditry are all tried and tested methods on my estate.

Which is why i'm farking penniless with a thirteen grand student loan debt and the obligatory student overdraft hanging over me.

Why don't you get your friends and family to sponsor you to join the Army? Christ, i'm talking sh!te this morning.
  5. If you can get the debt under £2000 then there is no reason you cannot enlist. For your info, student loans and mortgages are exempt from this rule.

If you need money I understand there are interesting opportunities around naval Bases doing favours for sailors.

A placard reading "Get it Here" may be useful.

6. Hey, thats not a grand old age 8O You should be fine anyway, when I went down to the AFCO, I was asked the very same question, do you have a debt? how much? as long as your up front with them. I mean, nowadays most people, owe some sort of debt or another.

7. Well said SD!
  8. Tried that - those sailor types are getting picky - apparently i'm not pretty enough?!?! They like young lads with long hair so they can at least pretend!
  9. I dunno, you make it sound like I am not as good as some student. What's wrong with leaving school at 16?
  10. As you've said that it's a couple of years since you left college and that you're now 21, I gather that your debt is not education-related, merely a result of entertainment expenses exceeding your income. You've also not mentioned being in employment, so I'm further presuming that you're "state sponsored."

To get a couple of grand in a couple of months should be relatively easy. Get a job and cut down drastically on your leisure expenses. Even at minimum wage, by putting in some overtime you should make a big dent in your debt, if not fully clearing it. Any job will do - it's not as if you intend to make a career of it.

When the Army is asking about your debts, they're not really that bothered about the actual extent of your debt (unless it's so high that you're not going to be able to pay it off with your Army wage). It's more that they want to recruit somebody who is going to concentrate on his training, rather than be worrying about his finances.

The Army starting salary isn't great, but if you're financially on a par with your peers, you won't miss out on the social life. If you have major debts, you either miss the social side of things or scrounge, either of which don't do a lot for comradeship.

You come across as having realised that you need to be more responsible with regard to finances. It's a good start, work on it.

Good Luck!
  11. No my debt isn't education related - i have lived a little out of my means - i have however always been employed full time and have never been on the doll or claimed any kind of benefit. I always wanted to join the army, i just never realised that this would be a problem!! the beauty of hindsight!!!

Thanks for all the help and advice!!
  12. In that case, sell the Ferrari and get a Porsche instead. ;)
  13. Debts can place young soldiers in an horrendous position very quickly, which is why the Army is circumspect about recruiting people with large debts; a large debt implies a lack of control over one's expenditure and personal life.

I have seen several soldiers discharged because they accumulated such debts that they could no longer cope.

I agree with the contributor who wrote that student loans and a mortgage are not necessarily a problem. However, I have recently discharged a soldier who had taken on a large mortgage on the back of his wife's good job and prospects, only to find that she had fallen pregnant during his basic training. Without her large salary, the sums didn't add up and they couldn't sell the house without taking a 15% hit (who says the housing market is booming?). He did the sums, found they didn't add up and presented me with a sensible and well argued case that he should resign. I reluctantly agreed. Even now, some months later, I am still not certain that I did the right thing because if he was sensible and courageous enough to admit that he had got it wrong, he is the kind of soldier who would have done well in the Army. Oh well. Some you win and some you lose.

14. It's funny how things can get out of perspective on these threads.

The answer to the question is simple. If it's a debt which is being repaid properly and you can prove that - it doesn't count.

What would be a problem is if you have debt and you are not making the agreed payments to your debtors.

Simple as that.,