debriefing query

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by starfish17, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, my first post to ARRSE, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I've read messages sometimes and liked the forums. Please can anyone help - I am an author looking for info for my fiction novel. After a winter military exercise in Norway, multi-national forces involved, what happens at debriefs? Three questions:
    Does each country's forces hold debriefs for their own forces or are there also debriefs for all nationalities together?
    Would any of the international forces share technology info with allies if the techonology used on exercise is new, or do they keep it to themselves (guarding intel etc)?
    Do all nationality forces get together for a piss-up afterwards?

Thanks if anyone can help.

2. Debriefs are held at each level, at some point there will be a multinational washup

Normal security applies, if there is shared tech already, then it would be shared. I remember when Ptarmigan came (SCRA) we let other people play with the terminals, but the interesting bit was off limits to just about everyone

International piss ups happen, but only if you like the Johnnies

3. Thanks very much, it helps a lot - scuse my ignorance (which is considerable when it comes to military matters) but are the Johnnies ....Johnny Walker Whisky? Or something else?

4. Mr Jonathan Foreigner, Esq.

So there'd be a multinational pissup with the vikings, because they can be a laugh, not the Belgians or the dutch as they go home at 17:00, and with the yanks only because they bring steaks with them

• Like Like x 1
  5. Love it! Thanks a lot, I've learned something new today!

6. Depending on the countries playing on the ex, technology is not only shared but often common, especially for the 28 NATO members. This works by steering the design to comply with what are called STANAGs or Standardization Agreements. Most of these are unclassified and available to manufacturers and designers.

They don't always contain the actual specification of devices, but how they interact wherever they come into contact with devices of other nations. This is particularly useful if you want to share bullets, meet each others' cargo and transport standards, communicate with each other or even write things like operations orders or logistics plans.

Piss-ups are almost obligatory, but in NATO speak they are officially known as 'ice-breakers' and can attract low levels of central funding in the right circumstances.

7. I suppose I should make it clearer as to what I mean by technology, I was thinking more on the lines of new weaponry as in a new type of grenade fired from an underslung grenade launcher. The nearest equivalent I can get to in real life would be the 'flashbangs' stun grenades - when they were first produced here, how quickly did they get rolled out to other armies, given that someone must have been manufacturing them and would want to be paid for doing so? Every nation now uses them as far as I know, but I wondered how soon they got hold of them, and I assume the people developing them wouldn't want the secret out straight away.

8. That would depend on the weapon type, but dont forget in most cases its private companies doing the research and they want to see whatever it is to the widest possible customer base, the UK Gov will have the say on who they can offer it too but after that its just a sales job (think of BAE trying to sell planes)

Chobham armour was invented/developer here but shared with the Yanks and others quite quickly

9. That's impossible to answer really, because the number of possible responses is probably infinite. In truth all military organisations like to show off a bit, so quite often technology will be widely known about before it comes into service with any force. This is reinforced by the fact that military bodies rarely develop their own technology, but buy it from defence manufacturers, who advertise very early in the CADMID cycle in order to mitigate develop costs, generate revenue and sell the maximum number of units and support contracts before some other defence manufacturer develops a counter-measure.

Sharing is not something the military get to decide on, it would normally be the security elements of the government organs, or the manufacturer who may have licence rights on his intellectual property.

10. The actual technology isn't though, the Yanks don't let everyone see the Tomcat (for example) software because the aircraft is going to be refuelled at their airfield. Apart from comms, everything you list is not really a technology item

11. Many thanks to all who replied, my first venture into ARRSE has been a treat - and I was a bit daunted before posting, since I have not been in the armed forces. The info has really helped. Just for interest my books are a fusion of sci-fi, military adventure, spy intrigue and (hopefully) a dash of humour. If you are interested in taking a look they are on Amazon as Starbirth Assignment books. They aren't making me any cash to speak of, but who knows....

Thanks again, I hope I can come back with other queries from time to time.

12. Jarrod is the one to speak to about starfish assignments. He loves that stuff

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

have you tried the self publish book for quid/dollar thing then?

there's a few have made a very decent living out of that - even if the books aren't so good people will take the chance if the price is right.

14. Yes, two books are just £1 each and the third is £1.99. Paperbacks don't sell at all in my experience unless the writer gets a human publisher, not an internet one. The ebooks are the only ones selling at the moment. A trickle of sales but no tsunami like the Fifty Shades stuff. Guess there isn't quite enough sex in mine. Maybe I should start writing about sex in space.......

15. I saw a film like that once. The "worlds first zero g cumshot" was a bit crap and not very zero g