debit card need to be taken during phase 1 start?

Hello

I start my Phase 1 tomorrow :lol: , enough butterflys in my stomatch for a nature sanctuary! :p , anyway, on to the question..

The question is, do I need to take my debit card with me?

As the form says I will take £50, but I'm just wondering whether I will need my card to withdraw the money once it is paid into your bank account.

I obviously don' want to lose the card, but I need to be able to access my money, what do i do:p

Please try and reply promptly, Im rushing about like a mad fool here trying to sort all my bits and bobs, wish me luck 8O :D

Cheers

BW

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
You will need access to money.

Take your card; you will be paid into the account that you nominate assuming that it is this one.

Leave the details with someone that you can trust (and I don't mean your girlfriend) Sorry to sound poisoned but a teenage girlfriend is the least reliable person in the world. We all had one, they will work you over at some point.

MIB....aged 42 and still sore.

most certainly you'll need your card. Keep it in you and have your bank details separate from your card in case you need to cancel. Best of luck with your training

Take money as the cash machines on camp will rob you.

As stated remove your details from your wallet and bring a strong padlock.

If possible leave your card at home and manage with what you have.

htb.

Headless_Chicken said:
What you carry in your own wallet is your own business, as long as it includes your ID card.
Why would he have an I.D card? He's just starting phase one and asking for some relevant advice. Why bother t post such nonsense.

Mate, take your debit card, from my experience you will have a cash machine on hand, but don't expect to have much time to spend the money. I got paid about £30 in cash for the first few weeks basic training as I recall. I also remember getting a few weeks pay on my first leave. But that was a while ago now.

Hope it all works out well for you mate, it won't be anything like you expect, it never is, but I hope you like it anyway.

martin7606 said:
Headless_Chicken said:
What you carry in your own wallet is your own business, as long as it includes your ID card.
Why would he have an I.D card? He's just starting phase one and asking for some relevant advice. Why bother t post such nonsense.

Mate, take your debit card, from my experience you will have a cash machine on hand, but don't expect to have much time to spend the money. I got paid about £30 in cash for the first few weeks basic training as I recall. I also remember getting a few weeks pay on my first leave. But that was a while ago now.

Hope it all works out well for you mate, it won't be anything like you expect, it never is, but I hope you like it anyway.
So why take it?

You get paid case weekly. Around £50. Rest of your money gets paid to you when you get to phase 2 so unless you've a stash of your own you'll have nothing extra going in. Take it but you shouldn't need it.

Top tip, no matter what you do don't give your card and pin number to anyone because you haven't got time to go to cashpoint. You may think your fellow squaddies would die from you but most of them will steal from you....you have been warned.

Do you not have pay parades in basic anymore then?

I will always remember a bloke in my plt in basic marching smartly up to the table and halting in front of the PC, but whilst halting he hits the table with his knee sending the nicely staked cash flying everywhere.

duffdike said:
If you have money in the bank then the debit card could be handy. You might need to go AWOL. :)
Excellent post, throbber. Don't you think the forces have enough retention problems without you giving potential recruits ideas about how to screw the system?????? :evil:

saintstone said:
duffdike said:
If you have money in the bank then the debit card could be handy. You might need to go AWOL. :)
Excellent post, throbber. Don't you think the forces have enough retention problems without you giving potential recruits ideas about how to screw the system?????? :evil:
Don't get a co ck-stand fella, me thinks he was joking. You'll give yerself a heart attack.

Big thread for a small question. Take yer chuffin' bank card, you're not going 'behind enemy lines'!

You will get enough money weekly in basic to buy all your requirements. Leave the card(s) at home with you parents but, as you obviously have an existing bank account, take the account details with you so that this can be used as your direct paying in account ... otherwise at the end they will insist on setting up an account for you!

I was an instructor at a depot for 3 years (admittedly several years ago) and IMHO if you have a card;

a) you will get ripped by the machines that they have on barracks as they tend to be the type that charge for a transaction;

b) some toe rag will steal it and cause you admin problems;

c) others in your section will not have as much as you/not have a card and you will end up feeling obliged to help mates out ... 'just until pay day of course':

The least personal clutter you take for the first few weeks the better able you will be able to concentrate on the job in hand. Besides, if there is something that you desperately need, including your debit card, it can be sent on by registered post ... it's not like you are going to Outer Mongolia!

Well done anyway feller, good sensible question ... now deep breaths, calm down and enjoy the adventure you are about to set out on. Good luck!

K13

Good luck in your training. Leave the card at home. Take details of your Bank Adddress, Sort Code & Account Number. Don't forget to take your parents/family out for a meal on your first home leave and pay for it with your Debit Card. It will mean a lot to them, to see you on a mans wage treating them. Then afterwards go on the sauce and chase skirt with your mates and act like a typical soldier.

Keep us informed of your progress and all the very best.

If you do need money in a hurry you'll need your debit card and sending for it can take a couple of days, it,s not going to take up a lot of space is it?.If it's in your wallet , and the pin is in your head, it's quite safe . Personally I'd take it .

Some wonderful answers in amongst them I see and between you all you've got it right, I think.

It will tell you on your joining Instructions when your first pay parade will be, dependant on ATR it will be around £50 on the first Wednesday/Thursday then weekly until your bank paid. I would honestly take your card for emergencies only (you should have enough money and not much to spend it on) and lock it away in your locker....good padlock. Even though you have got a bank account already it will still take a while to set up and with the introduction of JPA it could take weeks or even months but you will have weekly pay parades and on week six get a big wedge of your credited money if you need it for your long weekend. Keep a note of all your credits you get so when you get your pay statements you can confirm all is correct. Regarding using cash machines, most of the ones in the NAAFI's I saw were ripping people off at around £1.99 a time to withdraw :x but a lot of the NAAFI shops do cash back if you spend over £5 i believe. As said aswell keep your things secure because there are occassionally fingers needed breaking.

Duffdike another outstanding contrabution to the training wing i see :roll:

ben1985 said:
I start my Phase 1 tomorrow :lol: , enough butterflys in my stomatch for a nature sanctuary! :p
I'll use MY visa to buy some off you, target practice, aye!

ben1985 said:
Im rushing about like a mad fool here trying to sort all my bits and bobs
Arn't they usually hanging in between your legs, what are you sorting those for? Your gonna be around quiet a few men mate 8O

and for the serious ones, I'm joking because he's gone already...

unlucky he starts on a monday morning, nice, cold and crispy:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
uncle_vanya Economics 62
uncle_vanya Finance, Property, Law 45
AT55 Finance, Property, Law 13