Debation! The english language

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by baby_officer, Feb 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While exploring new words and areas of my second to my sixth language, I still have my "debations" regarding my first language. That being english.
    I was ploughing through my history essay just now (which has to be in tomorrow ah!) and I came to write "...pressure on the government to disemband the Free Corps." and yes I get those squiggily red lines underneath disemband.
    I consult my mother, and she hasn't got the foggiest, and so I get out the Oxford dictionary. And bugger me it isn't in. There is disembark, disembarrass and disembody, but no disemband.
    Many times I have heard of regiments being disembanded.
    I try and see what the internet reveals and I only find two sites that have used this word. A disembanded group and a disembanded army. But the search engine asks me if I ment "disbanded." I know of this word yes, but diembanded is a word!!!!
    What do you think?

:D Al :D
  2. Fcuk off Troll.
  3. DD you smooth talking devil you...! :lol:
  4. I thank you...............

5. Someone called?
  6. Try using the unabridged Collins English, The Oxford is a "Right-On" dictionary and a total waste of money even though it is used as the defacto source. Have tried looking for a online version but could not find one in short time.

I know its pretty pointless saying so as your thesis needs to be in Monday, sorry
  7. I knew you were ugly, O Cromwellian one, but that's uncannily Toonie-like. Especially after her trips to the South West.

Oh and by the way try this
  8. Cheers johno

:D Al :D
  9. Thou barkesteth up thine wrongeth tree oh Jammy Dodgers :roll:
    The Witchfinder General is having a layeth in, hence my appearance. 8)
  10. The word is disband, no "em"
  11. :

:evil: Duckster wait until I'm in jock land you are sooooooooooo in trouble 8O pmsl and omg was that troll in Amesbury?..very similar to the hillbilly troll who tricked to pinch my banjo :lol: 8O
  12. Seven years of continuous improvement in education under the Great Leader and we are still turning out knobs like this. Whats worse the little tart thinks he's fitted to go for a Commission.

New Labour, same old crap.
  13. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

can we burn him? :twisted:
  14. you sure do have a purty mouth boy
  15. Quality quote from the great speller himself.

"How do I spell Majesty"