Deaths on Scottish Mountains

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Fang_Farrier, Feb 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

2. Who knows, a few more years and people may realise the countryside can be dangerous

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app
  3. A mate of mine who is a British Mountain Guide did his back coming down BN when a fog hit. He was dealing with his group, missed a drop and landed 12 feet down popping a couple of his discs.

I used to like the ones on the North Yorks Moors, there we were training with all our gear and the punters would be out in high heels and flip flops.
  4. Fang_Farrier

The thing about the deaths so far this year is that they haven't been the flip flops and "where can I buy some water" brigade but mostly experiencd climbers.

The increase in avalanche casualties has been put down to flucuating temperatures which has affected the snow pack.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just the risk of the game at the end of the day. As usual the 'elf and safety armchair warriors have suggested that people be prevented from going up the hills until they are 'expert!' I suppose it shows how little understanding of the hills the average punter has.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Fang_Farrier

It's made me re-evaluate my own going out.

I haven't gone up high this time of year for a few years due to bad knees and not putting myself at risk but even lower levels seem more dangerous just now.
  7. That's exactly how it should be. You make a decision based on your experience in a given part of the world and stick to it. I judge the hill on a day to day basis, however I do feel that the way weather is reported within the UK does not help. If a climber living in London looks at a met report that indicates reasonable conditions throughout the High hills and, based on that report travels up for the weekend only to find marginal conditions; he may well be tempted to go out rather than have a wasted journey. I sometimes wonder what planet those who write some of the met reports are on, having listened to some talking head telling the Country that the temperature in the Cairngorms is -2 when down in Granton on Spey its been -12!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I agree,in the 90s i did my UEL at the Army mountain training centre in Ballachulish along with potential RAF mountain rescue persons. Mountaineering and bagging Munro's is an extreme sport and like any extreme sport there are risks, and the unfortunate souls that have lost their lives in the hills were experienced walkers. So long as walkers carry out the basics in mountain awareness when out there should no problems, yes accidents do happen and the media and armchair H&S are all over it like a rash.

I was flabbergasted when we desended via the tourist route on BN to see a group of japanese around a third of the way up wearing unsuitable foot wear and flimsey clothing.

Hill walking and mountaineering around Glencoe and the west coast has some stunning and breathtaking views and is a relatively safe sport and can be dangerous,, however, the thrill can be infectous.
  9. Time to re-visit the idea of insurance/payment for rescue?

If you do want to do inherently dangerous things then maybe you should be required to pay for rescue if it all goes pear shaped?

Problem with it all though is how do you decide which activities should be included? Riding a motorbike in the rain on a motorway is probably even more dangerous than wandering up Scafell in a bikini in winter.
  10. Its not just hill walking that shows how little respect or understanding a great majority of the public have of the elements. A friend runs boat trips out to the islands around here, he uses a Mitchell Mk11 and runs a twenty two mile out and return. Often he has had to refuse people onto the trip because of their lack of appropriate clothing, climbing on and off a boat in high heels and shorts skirt may be fun to watch but when the weather turns its a guarantee for hypothermia. The really interesting part is just how angry these people often get, demanding on board, laughing when told that the weather will change and generally treating it all as a fuss over nothing.