Death while mobilised (Hypothetically)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by WhiteHorse, Oct 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, morbid subject I know, however should a TA soldier die on his first day of operations, due to enemy action or RTA. What level of benefits will his widow receive? I've been reading through the Reserve Forces Pension and Compensation Benefits booklet, but I'm none the wiser. If I'm on £45K what will Mrs WH and the kiddies get when I'm gone?
  2. WH, can't believe nobody has tried to answer this. Should be the same as a regular widow without a doubt
  3. I'm not sure though, according to the booklet, the award depends upon amount of time in the pension scheme. A TA soldier would only have a couple of months contributions. So Mrs WH gets 1/60th of my army salary or my topped up salary? Or 25/60ths or what? Also how much of a lump sum?

So many questions Polar, no real answers...unless I'm being thick
  4. Also, if you took out personal accident cover with the likes of Towergate wilsons, pax forces financial etc upto max cover. then whilst on ops if you die in combat or a RTA then you get the PA cover payout as well.

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

From my mobilisation package:

It's on page Enclosure 6, page 6, para 28 of your Call Out package mate.

Edited to add: You'll obviously get a pay out from your RPAX insurance scheme also.
  6. True, however, I'd like to know now, not after I've signed on the dotted line. Don't mind putting myself at risk, but I (and others) need to know what those left behind will get, then I can decide how much RPAX etc to take out etc.
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You're better off asking these guys.

who also have this to say (my bold):

Free Veterans Helpline

Freephone 0800 169 22 77 (UK only)
    0800 169 34 58 Textphone facility (UK only)
    +44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

Telephone lines are open:
    8.15am to 5.15pm Monday to Thursday; and
    8.15am to 4.30pm Friday

Please use the following guidelines if you prefer to contact us by letter:

include your

* full name
    * address
    * postcode
    * country (if overseas)
    * daytime telephone number with dialling code
    * the best time to contact you by telephone during the daytime
    * the time difference to GMT (if overseas)

for letter contact about

* War Disablement Pension or allowance
    * War Widows or Widowers Pension
    * Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) or
    * FEPOW

please give your

* National Insurance Number or
    * reference number

for email contact please put the theme of your email in the Subject line,
    for example:

* War Disablement Pension (WDP)
    * War Widows or Widowers Pension (WWP)
    * Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
    * Service Records
    * Medals
    * Service Pension
    * Veterans Lapel Badge
    * etc

This will help us to answer, or to direct your query to the appropriate area, more quickly.

Postal address
    Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, FY5 3WP.

p.s. Have you actually being mobilised or is this all theoretical?
  8. Her Majesty is requesting my services, which I have NO issues with. I just need confirmation that Mrs WH would be as well off as if I died at work.
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You volunteered though? Maybe you should have asked your PSAO about this before you put your name forward?

To be honest mate, I've never known anyone to ask this before so all I can really say is that if you're that concerned about this you should max out on your RPAX contributions.
  10. Lets say I have a skill thats in short supply, if I go now, my kids education won't get messed about with, if I leave it a year or two then the disruption would cause serious problems. It will cause trouble at the unit too, but thats life.

The question was asked by one of my Toms, I couldn't find the answer and then it got me thinking too.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC Correctly from Telic 4 (things may have changed)
    A very nice man informed us at Chillwell we were all part of the 'Regular Army'
    Therefore if you deploy with the Regs you should be treated as a Regular
    In fairness to the HCR when we deployed we went into mixed troops and were treated no differently, Windsor invited the families to the camp for BBQ's etc and sent information out as though we were part of them
    If a member of the TA had been killed on Ops and was offered less than a Regular it would be all over the press by now surely?