Death while mobilised (Hypothetically)

#1
Ok, morbid subject I know, however should a TA soldier die on his first day of operations, due to enemy action or RTA. What level of benefits will his widow receive? I've been reading through the Reserve Forces Pension and Compensation Benefits booklet, but I'm none the wiser. If I'm on £45K what will Mrs WH and the kiddies get when I'm gone?
 
#3
I'm not sure though, according to the booklet, the award depends upon amount of time in the pension scheme. A TA soldier would only have a couple of months contributions. So Mrs WH gets 1/60th of my army salary or my topped up salary? Or 25/60ths or what? Also how much of a lump sum?

So many questions Polar, no real answers...unless I'm being thick
 
#4
Also, if you took out personal accident cover with the likes of Towergate wilsons, pax forces financial etc upto max cover. then whilst on ops if you die in combat or a RTA then you get the PA cover payout as well.

Stilts
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
From my mobilisation package:

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) is effective from 6 April 2005 and is managed by the Veterans Agency. The AFCS covers benefits a reservist may become eligible to receive in the event of an attributable injury or death in service that occurs on or after 6 April 2005. The scheme provides the payment of a Lump Sum Award and a Guaranteed Income Payment in the event of death in service and also for some tariff-based injury payments dependent upon severity. Full details of the scheme will be provided to you at the Mobilisation Centre.
It's on page Enclosure 6, page 6, para 28 of your Call Out package mate.

Edited to add: You'll obviously get a pay out from your RPAX insurance scheme also.
 
#6
RP578 said:
From my mobilisation package:

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) is effective from 6 April 2005 and is managed by the Veterans Agency. The AFCS covers benefits a reservist may become eligible to receive in the event of an attributable injury or death in service that occurs on or after 6 April 2005. The scheme provides the payment of a Lump Sum Award and a Guaranteed Income Payment in the event of death in service and also for some tariff-based injury payments dependent upon severity. Full details of the scheme will be provided to you at the Mobilisation Centre.
It's on page Enclosure 6, page 6, para 28 of your Call Out package mate.

Edited to add: You'll obviously get a pay out from your RPAX insurance scheme also.
True, however, I'd like to know now, not after I've signed on the dotted line. Don't mind putting myself at risk, but I (and others) need to know what those left behind will get, then I can decide how much RPAX etc to take out etc.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
WH,

You're better off asking these guys.

who also have this to say (my bold):

Pensions / Compensation

Death occurs whilst Serving in HM Armed Forces

Stage 1.

All Deaths that occur whilst a person is Serving in HM Armed Forces are notified to Service Personnel and Veterans Agency normally within 24 hours of death.

Upon receipt of notification, we establish if there is a surviving adult dependant, this could be a widow, widower, civil partner or a partner of the opposite sex if they were in a substantial relationship at the time of death. We also establish if there are any eligible children.

Stage 2.

If it is established there is a surviving adult dependant and/or eligible child, we arrange for a War Pensions Welfare Officer to visit to assist in the completion of a pension claim form. The Welfare Officer will also offer advice regarding other benefits that may be available to claim.

Evidence is obtained to establish if Service was the predominant cause of death.

The type of evidence varies depending on the cause of death, for example:

* if death is due to natural causes we would normally obtain the Service Medical Documents and any hospital records; or
* if death is due to an accident we need to obtain details from the Commanding Officer and any board of enquiry reports.

Stage 3.

Once all the evidence is obtained clerical staff consider the case.

If an award of Survivors Guaranteed Payment (SGIP) and/or Childs Guaranteed Income Payment (CGIP) is appropriate, we obtain details of the deceased’s salary at the time of death and pension payments due to the widow, widower or partner. This information is obtained from the Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency (AFPAA)

Stage 4.

The amount we pay is calculated by multiplying the salary by a factor based on age at the time of death. 60% of that figure will be paid for the surviving adult dependant. The SGIP is reduced by any benefit paid under the Armed and Reserve Forces Pension Schemes by 75%. Please note any money due is taxable.

In addition we can also pay a Bereavement Grant of up to £20,000. If the deceased was a member of the AFPS75 Pension Scheme we can pay the full grant.

If the deceased was a member of the AFPS05 Pension Scheme and the salary was less than £20,000 we would pay the balance between the salary and £20,000. If the salary is more than £20,000 no Bereavement Grant is payable.

All decisions are notified in writing and we also notify Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency (AFPAA).

If you wish to make an enquiry about these procedures, timescales involved or any other related matter, please contact us.
Free Veterans Helpline

Freephone 0800 169 22 77 (UK only)
0800 169 34 58 Textphone facility (UK only)
+44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

Telephone lines are open:
8.15am to 5.15pm Monday to Thursday; and
8.15am to 4.30pm Friday

Please use the following guidelines if you prefer to contact us by letter:

include your

* full name
* address
* postcode
* country (if overseas)
* daytime telephone number with dialling code
* the best time to contact you by telephone during the daytime
* the time difference to GMT (if overseas)

for letter contact about

* War Disablement Pension or allowance
* War Widows or Widowers Pension
* Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) or
* FEPOW

please give your

* National Insurance Number or
* reference number

for email contact please put the theme of your email in the Subject line,
for example:

* War Disablement Pension (WDP)
* War Widows or Widowers Pension (WWP)
* Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
* Service Records
* Medals
* Service Pension
* Veterans Lapel Badge
* etc

This will help us to answer, or to direct your query to the appropriate area, more quickly.

Postal address
Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, FY5 3WP.

Email: veterans.help@spva.gsi.gov.uk

p.s. Have you actually being mobilised or is this all theoretical?
 
#8
RP578 said:
WH,

You're better off asking these guys.

who also have this to say (my bold):

Pensions / Compensation

Death occurs whilst Serving in HM Armed Forces

Stage 1.

All Deaths that occur whilst a person is Serving in HM Armed Forces are notified to Service Personnel and Veterans Agency normally within 24 hours of death.

SNIP...

p.s. Have you actually being mobilised or is this all theoretical?
Her Majesty is requesting my services, which I have NO issues with. I just need confirmation that Mrs WH would be as well off as if I died at work.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
WhiteHorse said:
Her Majesty is requesting my services
You volunteered though? Maybe you should have asked your PSAO about this before you put your name forward?

To be honest mate, I've never known anyone to ask this before so all I can really say is that if you're that concerned about this you should max out on your RPAX contributions.
 
#10
RP578 said:
WhiteHorse said:
Her Majesty is requesting my services
You volunteered though? Maybe you should have asked your PSAO about this before you put your name forward?

To be honest mate, I've never known anyone to ask this before so all I can really say is that if you're that concerned about this you should max out on your RPAX contributions.
Lets say I have a skill thats in short supply, if I go now, my kids education won't get messed about with, if I leave it a year or two then the disruption would cause serious problems. It will cause trouble at the unit too, but thats life.

The question was asked by one of my Toms, I couldn't find the answer and then it got me thinking too.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
IIRC Correctly from Telic 4 (things may have changed)
A very nice man informed us at Chillwell we were all part of the 'Regular Army'
Therefore if you deploy with the Regs you should be treated as a Regular
In fairness to the HCR when we deployed we went into mixed troops and were treated no differently, Windsor invited the families to the camp for BBQ's etc and sent information out as though we were part of them
If a member of the TA had been killed on Ops and was offered less than a Regular it would be all over the press by now surely?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top