Death Proof

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Sangreal, Mar 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched Tarantino's latest film last night and must say it was utter shite! I have long admired his flicks and, like many, rate Pulp Fiction as one of the best films of all time but DP was pants. There was no doubting that visually it was clever and the dialogue was superb but the story line/plot was about as watertight as Clarkson's Rover! I had soon resigned myself to the fact that this was going to be a long film (it seemed, after a couple of hours, to be finally picking up pace) when it facking ended!!!!

The most perplexing thing about it though is what warranted the 18 certificate?

2. you mean apart from all the gratuitous graphic violence? (that car crash?)

i thought it was a laugh.

3. But that was about a 30s sequence in a 2 hour film!

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

18 certs are required, because otherwise, the audience is too cool to watch it.

It was a p-poor movie, which whilst having some very good verbal interaction was full of nothing action and frankly, 2 hours of this is mildly more interesting than stagging on at Colchester ranges. But only just.

5. I liked it! but then again I think it had a bit of girl empowerment twist to it....especially when she brings her boot heel down on his face! nice!

Remember it was originally meant to be two films, but apart from the gratuitous violence...(excellent!) even I thought it dragged a bit!

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

The second film is the movie about some bird with an m16 for a leg.

7. I'd pay to see that!!!

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I thought it was like watching paint dry. The big problem for me is that the whole tedious set-up with the girls talking about their weekend and drinking in the bar is entirely irrelevant to what happens next. They just wipe out. The second half is better in that respect in that we establish that Zoe Bell and co are actually fairly tough cookies and probably better at what they do than 'Stuntman Mike' but Tarantino could have established that with about 2 minutes of dialogue. I'm told that Tarantino is big on the nasally introduced stimulants which may explain why he thought it was so great and nobody else does but there we go. Planet Terror is much, much better but ultimately still pretty forgettable.

9. I watched Planet Terror and thought it was utter garbage. Apart from the fact that Rose Mcgowan was nice to look at until she started hobbling along with her machine gun leg. It was def tongue in cheek and utterly beyaond belief. If Death Proof is of the same ilk, I wouldn't bother, total cack.

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Quite. Its his familiar characterisation party trick with lots of irrelevence and people being real people (the constant texting on the mobile particularly!) rather like the start of Pulp when Sam L Jackson and John Travolta are driving along. But it goes on too long, and has nothing to do with the movie, plot or events. Its simply fleshes out the characters (very well) before killing them all in one car crash. Sorry for the spoiler, but trust me, you'll thank me rather than seeing it.

The only way that Mr T could be proud of this movie is when he looks at the "cost of investment vs profit" ratio. The movie can't have been expensive and I imagine plenty of people would have ignored the professional reviewers comments assuming that "they just didn't get it - Tarantino is on a different level to them". They reality is its a gash movie.