Death Penalty

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by mortars2cg, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Regarding the recent controversy over the death penalty in China, what is the best deterrent /punishment for cases such as murder,rape ect.
    Is it life means life or is it more humane for the State to execute.
    Personally I`m for the death penalty although I don`t think it`s a deterrent,although it does stop re-offending.
    I don`t which would be a greater deterrent,being told you will spend the rest of your life in jail or being executed.
    Your thoughts,please.

2. :D that made me chuckle :D

3. Nah, the death penalty is the easy way out. I like dungeons, water torture and never ending repeats of Piers Morgan Life Stories, Celebrity (and I use that word very liberally) Big Brother and Songs Of Praise

4. I think I once read somewhere that statistically, the death penalty has never been a effective deterrent.

I'm still a supporter of it though, if someone murdered one of my loved ones the death penalty would be the only form of justice I would be happy with.

5. Life without the ability to use a space-bar :wink:

6. I was taught not to used words I didn't know how to spell or know what they mean.

Death to the ect men.

Sensible head on, if the death penalty was any kind of detterant, why tf are there so many on death row, ect.

7. Because outside China, bundling the convict out of the courtroom and into a van for the happy jab isn't considered cricket. How would all those lawyers make money without ten years or so of protracted legal wrangling?

8. My bold. So you probably shouldn't have used the word deterrent then.

9. Just torture the cnuts to death, it's far cheaper than keeping lifers fed and watered.

10. Play Barry Manilow and David Hasselhof records to them for four hours a day in solitary. That's torture and a lingering death in one go.

MsG

11. It may not show as a deterrent, but it sure as hell stops the little buggers doing it again!!!

What are the stats on convicted murderers re-offending? , particularly within the prison environment; after they have been told they are there for life!!

12. Lock them in a cell with Whet - the true horror. :wink:

13. Hmm if it doesn't work then it's probably not that useful; however that's probably because punishment is fairly abstracted. It means nothing to be locked up for 2, 10 or even 20 years as the human brain cannot conceive of what it properly means. Even 6 months is a very long time to be locked up yet pales into insignificance when compared with other sentences. The same for the death penalty, it is abstracted and there is no evidence to the individual that they actually take place, they could have been abducted by aliens instead of being killed. What is needed is public punishment. If a thief were to be given a 6 hour spell in the stocks in the center of town with his 'mates' pelting him then that would be fairly embarrassing, combined with 2000 hours of CS then might be a fairly effective punishment, with a low chance of re-offending. In the severest murder cases perhaps hang, drawing and quartering should be brought back in; very effective and even the most hardened serial murderer might quaver at the thought of:
    "Then Sentence was passed, as followeth, viz. That they should return to the place from whence they came, from thence be drawn to the Common place of Execution upon Hurdles, and there to be Hanged by the Necks, then cut down alive, their Privy-Members cut off, and Bowels taken out to be burned before their Faces, their Heads to be severed from their Bodies, and their Bodies divided into four parts, to be disposed of as the King should think fit.[6]".

However perhaps it comes under 'cruel and unusual punishment', that always seems to be the most effective though. Maybe Britain could get an exemption from the EU on it.

Perhaps Sharia law would work well as well, if a thief was to have a hand cut off every time he was caught.

14. A Judge got there before you!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3098125.html