death or dinner

#25
Very few are actually deadly. The aptly named death cap is fairly common in beech woods. A greater number are considered poisonous, but they'll give you bad guts and that's it. The vast majority are just classed as inedible. There are far more edible fungi than poisonous. Fungi covers all types, mushrooms are generally the ones with a stem and cap ( deadly or edible), toadstools don't actually exist scientifically!
 
Last edited:
#26
Triggerigger's 'photo seems to show either fairy ring fungi or possibly "Magic" mushrooms, the yellow clusters seem to be Sulphur Tufts.

Both of the former are edible, the latter not.
 
#27
Dinger, Smudge and Barney ate similar before venturing onto The Balcony.
 
#28
The bloke who wrote the book “ The horse whisperer” visited my older brothers place ( big activity center in north lakes) a few years ago “ en famile”
After that they all went up to jockland for a week or so. Bear in mind he was a septic country type and therefore would one would hope know a bit about fungi.
They managed to pick and cook some that put all his family into hospital. None died but I believe liver transplants were required in some cases and all of their life expectancy was shortened.
Be very very careful.
 
#30
I'm going for Sulphur Tuft.


I've been gathering and eating wild fungi for 20 years and never been ill yet, the danger is no different from looking for black currents and then eating poison ivy, you can positively identify mushrooms in multiple ways and every type is known , every inedible type that looks like another edible type is known, there is no mystery if you learn about them. There are only a few worth eating anyway, and they are very distinct to identify.
 
Last edited:
#31
My biology master at school was Britain's leading authority on these things. 'Don't touch' was his advice.
 
#34
I'm not up on British mushrooms, but they are similar to ones over here in Catalonia and which grow at the feet of trees in humid places close to streams especially. However on consulting with SWMBO, we would be suspicious as they should be a lighter colour underneath. That's not to say they are not eatable, but I would be wary.

But think creatively, have you not got a mother-in-law to try them out on first?
 
#35
I often take a camera with me when I go running around the Wye Valley and I like mushrooms...

this was dinner... (not a great pic)

Penny bun
IMG_3402
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

This wasn't, but could've been...

(Purple Rusula I think, but it is edible)
IMG_3384
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Fly agaricus (listed as poisonous, but has been used as a hallucinogenic); best consumed after it's been filtered through some kidneys (apparently)...

IMG_3389
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Unsure, but slimy looking...

IMG_3392
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

False Chanterelle I think.

IMG_3393
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

An interesting slime mould...

IMG_3399
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Some kind of bracket...

IMG_3417
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

I haven't a clue...

IMG_3419
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

A puffball (I don't think any of these are poisonous, but some young poisonous mushrooms can look like a puffball)...

IMG_3421
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr
 
#36
I often take a camera with me when I go running around the Wye Valley and I like mushrooms...

this was dinner... (not a great pic)

Penny bun
IMG_3402
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

This wasn't, but could've been...

(Purple Rusula I think, but it is edible)
IMG_3384
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Fly agaricus (listed as poisonous, but has been used as a hallucinogenic); best consumed after it's been filtered through some kidneys (apparently)...

IMG_3389
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Unsure, but slimy looking...

IMG_3392
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

False Chanterelle I think.

IMG_3393
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

An interesting slime mould...

IMG_3399
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

Some kind of bracket...

IMG_3417
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

I haven't a clue...

IMG_3419
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

A puffball (I don't think any of these are poisonous, but some young poisonous mushrooms can look like a puffball)...

IMG_3421
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr
did you die?
 
#37
There are only a few worth eating anyway, and they are very distinct to identify.
I'm really careful. I ate the penny bun because I know the only look-a-like is a bitter bolete and that's not poisonous, it's just bitter.

I once collected some chanterelles; I was 95% sure that's what they were. But I'm lucky enough to know a local wild food expert (Henry Ashby; he's been on TV, supplies businesses with wild food, written a book) and he identified them as false chanterelles, which may not kill, but can make you ill.

So I'm ultra cautious because getting deaded by eating a mushroom is flipping stupid.
 
#39
This is a long time ago, but I remember being dispatched, along with many blokes much bigger and hairier than I, by a very old white haired lady on PATA to spend an hour finding funghi.

We found quite a lot - most of which she classified as LBJs or BBJs......
 

Latest Threads

Top