Death of the Regular AMS?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Ventress, Aug 2, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

As a TA Fd Hosp returns from OP TELIC, having done the business- which cannot be denied even by the hardened TA hater within the Corps.

They have built a superb hospital, put systems in place that are the envy of the US Medical Commander and have even coped with the rigours of a desert deployment.

Is it a sitiuation the bean- counters will lock onto and say, well if the TA can do this then maybe we can use the TA do all the deployments- like Afghanistan and the Balkans- which they are doing already.- And therefore look at down sizing the Regulars and increasing the Permanent Staff within TA units and have 8-9 deployable TA hospitals and have no Regular ones. They already have TA Sqns within the GS Regts and have shelved any plans for another Regular one.

(If posting replies please note what your experience of the TA is- if any so we know at what level you are speaking. PSI are especially welcome to post on this subject. If you want to slag the TA off then nip in the NAAFI board and do it there- there are loads of similar pieces of benign drivel for you.)
  2. Thats almost censorship Qman ..The TA did nothing more than what they were expected to do. Meanwhile the Regs returned to the UK in order to Regroup and Re-org so as to be ready for those other very short notice or immensley unpopular bothersome yet important because 'I need to be important' commitments that TB can find. As I have already written elsewhere, they (The TA) should not expect any special recognition...they takes the money, they takes the chances. A for building thinsI refer you to Soldier mag!!
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I didn't say they did more than they were expected to do- they did it as well as a Regular Unit would have. They don't expect any special recognition- I certainly don't. The post is trying to suggest the MoD may see it as an oppotunity to cull the regular AMS Fd Hosps and replace ithem with the TA Fd Hosps. I am sure TB would rather pay some one £4,000 a year intsead of £30,000!

I am fully aware of the Regular point of view as I am serving with one said unit and have just left it as a Regular. Can you explain what is' almost censorship'
  4. Q man you are right, they are going to cotton on to this cheaper option soon! But did the TA have to rob all the kit when they left and leave the systems with no way of backing up files, and no bloody batteries! The STAB GITS!
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Your just pi$$ed off cos they didn't leave you a Shogun to cut about in as you only got a Trailer trash pick up!

That is my point- LWM, the MoD will spot the cheap option and the axe may well fall! Hey- even I dont agree with it!
  6. Qman Thankyou I understood your point! I believe however that after the recent Public Unhappiness within the AMS, and the highlighting of the desperate state of the AMS you would be a foolish PM to not ensure that in the future you had a loyal; and entirely 'Won't run to the Newspapers at the first opportunity' Medical Support structure. Sadly though, what I believe, and what goes on in fantasy land are two entirely different things. :(
  7. how will the AMS survive with the TA as our main course of medical care, I mean what will our hospital facility be, seeing as the regulars had to build the hospitals for the TA to work from in the Gulf, and they also went back to take it down and tidy up the lovely cigarette carpets the TA left!
  8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

do you know the full story?
  9. As far as I can see Q man NBinB does not know the full story as it stands at the moment the regular AMS have built one 200 bed facility and the TA have built one 200 bed facility all be it with a little help from our Gurka engineer colleagues. Although I do have to agree with the comment about cleaning up of the cigarette carpet, aswell as the rest of the rubbish that was left behind. Great hospital bit more work on the camp admin side needed.
  10. Well, the next few months will be very telling, as the Deployable Medical Capability Study looks into the required Regular/Reserve mix to meet operational requirements...
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Maybe the 'powers that be' should re-eveluate the AMS LSL and FTRS then- instead of discharging soldiers one month and calling them up 4 months later! The thought of STUDY and AMS gives you a cold shuder down the spine!

One thing, its nice to know one of the players in DCS 15 is now the DG -gives us even more of a fuzzy feeling!