Death of the Nimrods.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Jan 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After all the years of effort and money put into the latest version of Nimrod for the protection of our great country, what sort of government gives the order to do this ??

Link....... Death of the Nimrods | The Sun |News

2. I'm livid enough about the images because of the implications for our safety at sea and national security. However, I'm not one of the hundreds of decent people (they exist) who spent a good part of their time pouring their hearts and souls into the project, even if they did get paid for it.

3. That picture caused a little misting of the eyes… Bastards.

4. Utter utter bastards. This will cost us dearly in skilled jobs, capability and overseas confidence in our ability to see a project through. Unless as mentioned on a previous thread their was a massive fault (which seems unlikely as we are the world champs at finding fault with ourselves). This was a key piece of our national deterrent, a long range reconnaissance asset and an all seeing eye in the sky. No UAV can come near nor can Boeings "lashup" Posidon. Camerons ship of fools are just as bad at defence as the last lot of shisters. muppets clockweights numpties nomarks laughingboys lickspittle simpletons that shouldn'tbe running a sweet shop nevermind a country. Give me strength.

5. It's all been said before, but the willfull destruction of a national asset you, me and the rest of the British taxpayers have all paid for beggars belief. Yeah, it was a badly managed project, but **** it, it was all bar finished. I saw it fly. Destroying it, as opposed to mothballing it, is tantamount to an act of treason. Especially as we will now have to pay for something less good to fill bits of the capability gaps.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

300% over budget, years late, still not operational, one aircraft completed that has still not certified flight worthy - is not a "national treasure" - it's a scam.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

What he said.

8. Tourn between that and that it is such a vital asset that will take years to rebuild the capability gap

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The capability gap has existed since the requirement was written for these planes, scrapping them is at least drawing a line under another defense procuremnt fiasco. Whether or not we should have bought off the shelf no longer matters the fact that we wont waste any more money is more important!
    I do wonder if one was offered to Duxford or would it prove too embarrasing?

10. More wailing and gnashing of teeth guff.

As has been said, overdue, over-budget, not proven, only 9 that were near completion out of the 26. As Dr Liam Fox noted, this is not about removing a capability. They were on the ground, had not been proven, they therefore are not a capability. Better to save £2bn then sling good money after bad. Where else would you have saved that sort of figure?

11. International Aid?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I agree, I cant fathom out why that is a sacred cow?

13. Have any of the Arvo Shackletons been mothballed, let's bring them back

14. Well, I do agree that is a little excessive. However, the cut had to come in the defence budget so to clarify Within the defence budget, where else would you have saved £2Bn".

On the International Aid bit, I think that it could be viewed as pre-emptive to fund some countries less they fall into complete anarchy resulting in the rise of a further rogue state.

15. Sacred 'cos' DC and NC (cnuts) think it makes them look like elder statesmen, handing out largess to those poor countries who are so cash strapped ("look at us, we are properly in the shit at the moment, but here is a few hundred thou' to help you out"). However, lets not forget that most of those "cash strapped" countries have been on the receiving end of overseas aid for fkukin years, and are still "third world". Mostly because they are run by thieving bstard's who are more concerned with lining their own nests than worrying about the populace.

The sad fact is, and I know I will get incoming, but this country has been in the shit since Maggie lost power. I KNOW she was not perfect (far from it), but at least she understood how defence worked. Since then, the country has been run by fkukwits.

As for NIMROD, well, just another prime example of fkukwittery. CNUTS.....