Death of the Emperor

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Some animal rights fascist thinks he didn't have a good rut last year so he shouldn't have been slotted for trying to get his leg over this time around.

He doesn't even dispute the fact the hunter was licenced and everything was above board. So I don't really see what the big deal is.

I am not in the slightest part of the anti-hunting group.

That said, it sort of goes against the 'aim' of legal hunting to kill the biggest, healthiest stag in the herd, when culling is supposed to thin out the younger smaller stags and/or sick animals.

This is obviously a 'trophy' shot. The fact the stags body is alleged to have just been left doesn't exactly promote the sport either. Many will see it as a pointless killing for fun.

IMHO shooting or hunting is for fun, but it also serves a purpose, and none of my many friends who do hunt would leave a carcass, they would actually use what they have shot. And i have benefitted from their kills on many occasions.

But just my veiw.

Dons helmet and waits for incoming from the 'you don't understand the countryside etc etc' mob, when i probably spend more time out and about in the countryside than most of the country folk do.

This was just on the wireless.She said that the body was found shot.
As above,why stalk(perhaps),shoot the thing,then leave it lying there not even gralloched? Was it so huge yer man couldn't do anything with it?
It's a pity,I like a nice haunch.

Mmmmmm, veal. My chops are slavering.

Oh dear, didn't think I'd get any bites.:fish:

Wah.

That said, it sort of goes against the 'aim' of legal hunting to kill the biggest, healthiest stag in the herd, when culling is supposed to thin out the younger smaller stags and/or sick animals.

This is obviously a 'trophy' shot. The fact the stags body is alleged to have just been left doesn't exactly promote the sport either. Many will see it as a pointless killing for fun.

IMHO shooting or hunting is for fun, but it also serves a purpose, and none of my many friends who do hunt would leave a carcass, they would actually use what they have shot. And i have benefitted from their kills on many occasions.

But just my veiw.

Dons helmet and waits for incoming from the 'you don't understand the countryside etc etc' mob, when i probably spend more time out and about in the countryside than most of the country folk do.
I also agree with you.

And I've previously shot game, and used animals for neuroscience research (before I moved back to human-based stuff).

I've never understood the idea of killing intelligent animals for fun. Did these people never watch Bambi?

Bambi was mince, Thumper was the real brains of the outfit.

DD: Maybe it was Predator?

Quick question for those in the know. Isn't venison taken from stags during the rut tainted?

I seem to recall reading that the animal during the rut does not eat properly and the meat takes on a rather strong rank flavour which is why the best venison is taken from young does.

ugly

LE
Quick question for those in the know. Isn't venison taken from stags during the rut tainted?

I seem to recall reading that the animal during the rut does not eat properly and the meat takes on a rather strong rank flavour which is why the best venison is taken from young does.
It all depends upon how the carcasse is handled, if you deal with it correctly then its not a problem.

ugly

LE
Good, but illinformed is almost as bad.

Cull targets as a result of census and watching the herd ensures that the best possible genes are available to ensure the herd gets stronger, we dont have the information to dispute this

The fact that the animal was a trophy quality has little bearing on the outcome apart from the fee charged, every animal is managed to ensure the herd is preserved, the trophy fee helps the estate continue to manage the countryside for you to enjoy

Good for you, shooting may be fun but gralloching and lardering 30 beast all weighing in at about 90 kilos larder weight takes the shine of the day if that is all you are there for. The rest of us arent. The carcasse may have been gralloched and left to be recovered by mechanical means later

But just my veiw.

Not a bad view, I could educate you further but I charge for that

I've never understood the idea of killing intelligent animals for fun. Did these people never watch Bambi?
"Intelligent animals" and "deer" - not two concepts you often find juxtaposed...

As for the Emperor (thanks for that, anthropomorphs of the tabloid press), I am reliably informed that he was crap at rutting last year. He may well have been approaching his sell-by date (no pun intended) and so taking him as a trophy while he was still a vital beast and not a shadow of himself, is a more honorable course. I would be interested to know if their was any PM/butchering. Those of us from the game-shooting persuasion know only too well that if you claim that thousands of birds were bull-dozed into a landfill, why then it was in the papers and must be true. Equally, if you claim poor old Bambi got shot and left to waste, well then it must be the case...papers don't lie.

Do they?

Oh and thanks, I got the trailer sorted...needed a bigger one than I had at first thought but luckily a chap I know had a six wheeler.