Death of serving Sapper Officer - Maj Gen Hamish Rollo

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by chimera, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Just to inform the Sapper community for those that may not have heard, Maj Gen Hamish Rollo CBE, a currently serving officer of the Corps, died of natural causes last week.

During his distinguished career, Gen Hamish commanded 3 Fd Sqn and 22 Regt Regt in Tidworth, and subsequently was Comd 19 Mech Bde and GOC Th Tps. I am sure all who served with him will remember him as a great officer, charasmatic leader, a real gentleman, and a fine ambassador for our Corps.

He was given a full military funeral at Tidworth on Fri 3 Apr 09.

2. Thanks for posting this chimera. Agree with all of your sentiments. Worked for Maj Gen Rollo during one of the ARRCADE FUSIONS some years back, a calm voice in. A sad loss for all.

Rest in peace Sir.

3. R.I.P.

condolences to the family.
  4. That is very sad news - he was Course Director when I went through ACSC and we could not have asked for a more professional, but above all good-humoured, officer at the helm. Condolences to his family.
  5. RiP Sir.
  6. RIP Sir
  7. My CO at 22, great loss. RIP
  8. At the age of 53, "correct me if I am wrong" he was flying!! Now he is flying with the angels...RIP
  9. Great OC 3 Sqn< Great CO 22 Engr Regt And just a great personnel individual. A real Soldiers Soldier.
  10. The Family take great strength from the positive comments about General Hamish. He loved his job, loved meeting and engaging with all ranks and was so proud of so many. He always encouraged people to be as best as they could be - remember him fondly and he remembers you.

Attached Files:

11. Good night Sir, the Men are well

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
    The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
    Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
    The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

My heart’s in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
    My heart’s in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer;
    Chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
    My heart’s in the Highlands, wherever I go.

Farewell to the mountains, high-cover’d with snow,
    Farewell to the straths and green vallies below;
    Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
    Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

Ubique Sir Aye, until we meet again
  12. He was my Troopy at 3 Tp, 52 Fd Sqn (Const), in 1980, remember him on the piss with the lads in RAF Bruggen, smashing empty pint pots on his own head as a bloke.

13. Just read up on this, he was an awesome bloke. Knew him at 22 Engrs, very well respected and liked.