Death of Rupert Hamer Daily Mirror journalist in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC just reported that Daily Mirror Defence Jounalist has been killed by an IED, whilst embedded with USMC in Afghanistan.

edited to add link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8450603.stm

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Phil, the photographer, is reported to have lost a leg and has spinal injuries. I worked with Rupert Hamer a couple of times and he was a nice enough bloke if a little clueless about military matters and terminology despite having been the defence correspondent for the S.Mirror for at least a decade.

3. Dross deleted.

Rupert was a nice feller , an Arrser and certainly very helpful during the 36 Grays Lane campaign.

RIP Rupert, condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. Best wishes to Phil his snapper, get well soon.

4. well said sir

5. Well done for deleting it PTP, Bobthedog and the other numpty are uneducated, ignorant delicate dullards who need the protection of your moderation.

6. This is a serious question, please do not use as a reason to beat up on either me or journos.
    Will the injured photographer go to Headley court for rehab?
    It would seem to me to be a good idea. He will receive the best care and be surrounded by people in the same boat.
    Or will he go through the NHS/Private route.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

He won't go to Headley Court as that is a Defence Establishment. Staff media workers are insured by their organisations when they go out to areas of conflict, which does include medical treatment. Whether this will cover private rehabilitation therapy though, I can't say.

8. RP578, thanks for the quick reply. Seems a bit of a shame really, he would probably do better at Headley court The staff are massively experienced and the other patients would be a source of mental strength for him.

9. Why? He's not a squaddie.

10. Correct he is not a squaddie. He has however received injuries that very few people other than squaddies receive. So the staff at Headley are likely the best to treat such injuries. As I have already said being surrounded by the military patients who are in the same boat would provide great mental support to him.
    It's an opinion, not an argument.

11. Not after an arguement I just don't see the point. The civvie contractors and private security are getting injured as well.

12. By how much would you like the current military capability of Headley Court reduced to provide beds for civilians?

After all, if it is to accommodate British journalists, you will similarly be including British aid workers, civil servants , UN staff etc - all of whom could also recover much better at HC, but for whom (like this poor chap) other med plans are currently in place?

13. I was deeply saddened to learn today of the un-timely death of Rupert Hamer, Sunday Mirror Defence Correspondent.

This is the second time in less than six months I have come face to face with the harsh realities of this conflict, as someone I have known personally is killed.

The relationship between the media and military can sometimes be a poisoned chalice; but on the few occasions that I spoke with Rupert Hamer, we were always focused on the best interests of those serving.

The last time we chatted was to set up the Christmas messages thread on this forum, so that we could stimulate demand so the Sunday Mirror could send a morale lifter for the troops in theatre over the Christmas period. We were due to meet when he returned from this trip to Afghanistan, and the fact that we won't echoes and reverberates through me as the memory of his voice drifts into the emptiness.

Not only has the Sunday Mirror lost a fine journalist, but so too has the military. He was on the right side.

My thoughts and condolences go to his wife and children.