DEATH OF MAJOR MATT BACON

PLEASE CAN ANYONE CONFIRM IF THE OFFICER WHO WAS KILLED THE OTHER DAY IN IRAQ WAS COMMISSIONED FROM THE ARMY AIR CORPS? ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

at_ease said:
sorry to say it was the same person RIP Maj Matt Bacon.

Thanks for that. Indeed RIP BIFFA

A great loss to the Corps. Thoughts are with his family and also now with the others who were quite seriously injured.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
RIP & sympathy to all those that knew you

From a friend and ex-collegue - peace be with you.

Sad loss of a man who was evidently well liked and respected. RIP

Well as people know I don't frequent this site, it takes a big event for me to get involved. I've known about this site for 3 years now but still havn't registered till today.

When Biffa arrived at Hilderbanna in 1990 he was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard in Command Troop, like all little boys who turned up out of Wallop (me included). He was immediately taken under the wing of Mick Parkinson and Nelly's brotherly wing (hope people won't mind me using names today?).

He progressed a great extent like all nigs who joined HQ Sqn at the time, beer swilling dpm clad anglo-saxon warriors.
OK OK so none of this reading pams stuff just right down to Dickies Bar every night. That after successful tours in Op Granby, he came to the attention of Maj. R. A. "Ron" James. Now Ron had higher visions of our Biffa, that no else saw! He decided Biffa should take a journey down to Sandhurst!

Well I think the collective thought was "Officer, Biffa but he's thick as sh1t!"

Well Biff you showed us all, at least Ten years as one of the army's Finest Officers.

In tours in Afghanistan, Ireland and Iraq x 2 and in situations that us "crap hats" couldn't imagine to be in.

Saw you 2 years ago in Bristol with the lads, still the same old Biffa, not fazed or bothered. I know you would have been a soldiers Officer, as I know you where taught what was right and wrong. It wasn't your training in Sandhurst that made you a gent and scholar but the Beer and Blow nights down in Hannover! And the copious amounts of Wednesday night sessions in Dickies the night before a squadron run!

Fond memories I have.... PUP on the Himmelstuhr, weekly trips to Verdun for electrolyte et al.

I won't be able to go for your final meet and greet as I am stuck in San Francisco but I will be thinking of your Family at this time and will definately sink a few for you.

Cheers mate...

Adieu.

Ruth

This was originally posted on a Aviation thread but thought the Green Slime would be privileged to know where Mat came from.

Very sad to hear about the death of Matt Bacon, one of the nicest, most genuine, professional, blokes I've ever met. An excellent boss, a great soldier, a real loss to the Int Corps, those who worked with and for him and indeed the wider forces world. My thoughts to his family, friends and loved ones at this time. RIP.

Had the privilage to work with Matt for a short time in Afghanistan, but instantly liked and respected him as an Officer, Soldier, professional and top bloke. A sad loss to the Corps and Army as a whole. My thoughts are with his family.

RIP Matt.

A great loss, I had the honour of knowing Matt briefly in Hildesheim and was fortunate enough to meet up with him again in Bristol a couple of years ago.
He was a genuinely good guy and my condolences go out to his family and friends.
RIP Matt

Issi

Sad loss indeed. Deepest sympathy to his family.

*edited*

I have just heard from a good friend of mine out in Iraq doing work on the civvy side that 2 other blokes died in the same attack - force protection guys. Thinking of their families as well.

Only the good die young.