Death of Colonel the 2nd Viscount Slim - Son of 'Bill' Slim

He used to regularly write, on behalf of the Association, sending CV's to the Mrs and a couple of other top HR people in UK banking to arrange employment for THEM and the Shakey's. He did an awful lot of work to help secure respectable post-military career employment for THEM.

A life well lived, RIP, Sir.

He used to regularly write, on behalf of the Association, sending CV's to the Mrs and a couple of other top HR people in UK banking to arrange employment for THEM and the Shakey's. He did an awful lot of work to help secure respectable post-military career employment for THEM.

A life well lived, RIP, Sir.
Very necessary. Imagine what they'd get up to if they had to decide for themselves.

Very necessary. Imagine what they'd get up to if they had to decide for themselves.
I only know he used to do this as the first time Mrs Effendi received a letter from him with an enclosed CV for a soon to retire individual she bought it home. "Is it real, or is someone having a bit of a larf"? Yes dear, it's real.

Imagine the first contact, getting a letter: Dear Mrs Effendi, I am told you are the person to contact. My name is Viscount Slim and I was wondering if you could cast an eye over this CV from a soon to be former Warrant Officer of the SAS.

He actively helped look after the members of the Regiment, respect to him - he must have been in his late 70's/early 80's at that time.

I had the pleasure of briefing him at MOD some years ago. He was an absolute gentleman and couldn't have been nicer.
It was the SERE brief, I asked him (which in retrospect was a bit of a daft question) if he was familiar with the subject "well maybe a little bit. I used to command the SAS".
"Right you are sir" closing the laptop , "I'll go get the kettle on!".
He laughed and said, no no, we must do these things properly; he was very interested to see how things had changed; so we proceeded with the briefing.

He clearly had a very sharp mind and a great sense of humour. I introduced him to viscount biscuits which he had never heard of and was quite enthused about.
We also had an interesting conversation afterwards and I must say it was one of the more stand out days of my time in uniform.

He told me he was head of the SAS Association, and said to me "well if some poor chap needs an artificial leg, I'll make damn sure he gets the best artificial leg there is to have".

Go in peace sir, your place in elysium is well earned.

Latest Threads