Death of Anthea Bell

Who she, many may say?
Anthea Bell was arguably the finest literary translator.
It was she who translated the Asterix BDs from the original French into English, maintaining the humour, puns and national traits of the originals.
She was also renowned for her German - English translations, notably Franz Kafka's work.
Those of us who are proper translators know the aim of a translation is to produce a work that reads as if the the translation is the original language: something she always believed in and practised.
No online translator will ever match a good human translator and certainly not Anthea. RIP

Who she, many may say?
It was she who translated the Asterix BDs from the original French into English, maintaining the humour, puns and national traits of the originals.
She was also renowned for her German - English translations, notably Franz Kafka's work.
Those of us who are proper translators know the aim of a translation is to produce a work that reads as if the the translation is the original language: something she always believed in and practised.
No online translator will ever match a good human translator and certainly not Anthea. RIP
" Your Rome may be bigger than my garden, but my Pilum is harder than your Sternum!"

RIP Anthea

As someone who writes technical documents, I sometimes have to put stuff in for translation. I try and back translate with my limited knowledge of languages and know how difficult it is get the meaning without transliteration. A lot of background knowledge about the subject is required as well to make it flow.

Who she, many may say?
Not the finest. Her German was durchschnittlich at best.

MsG

She definitely achieved the "you'd think English was the original" level. Am also a translator, living almost in sight of the thingy in your avatar, so I know how difficult that is.

She definitely achieved the "you'd think English was the original" level. Am also a translator, living almost in sight of the thingy in your avatar, so I know how difficult that is.
After leaving the Army I spent five years in Geneva as a writer/editor/translator on the original (proper) International Defense Review when it was a four-language monthly.
That was our goal, too, whatever the subject matter.