Death laser on a plane

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by box-of-frogs, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I look forward to the headline: "Taliban fighter destroys US super weapon jet with $1 make-up mirror".

2. The CIA have had the ATL for years, thats what they used to drop the WTC.........apparently. :roll:

3. Interesting? I'm not sure how they will achieve this exactly and how safe it will be?

4. Probably only a limited arc that the lasar can move about in, whilst the Spectre circles about pointing in the general direction.

5. Presumably, they'll use one of these.

[​IMG]

6. What? A big finger pointing in the general direction? :)

7. So they will use a pulse repetition Laser to direct the aim of a Laser from an aircraft?? Again I'm not sure how that is going to work?

Edited to add: They would need a laser laser designator as opposed to a laser target designator :? ...............

As an aside, The picture above is from Ex Red Flag at Nellis AFB, taken about 3 yrs ago. :D

8. It'll be just like CoD 4!!!!!

9. Not sure if I would fancy standing there!

[​IMG]

10. it's burnt thru his hair already!

11. Some where someone has just realised he can get a chally 2 polished to a mirror like shine :twisted:

12. Bring on the tinfoil tanks Terry!

(A ton of postings! WooHoo!)

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yes tied in by highly effective neuro and syntaptic transmission systems to that other high tech piece of gadgetry the mark1 eyeball.

14. In 2002 i sat in a laser optics lecture given by an expert speaker. He said that these 'Star Wars' project style lasers will never work because theory tells us that for the divergence angle to be small enough to keep the energy concentrated over long distances the aperture would have to be huge... over 1m, and thats just not feasible.

Well, 5 years on and that looks like a 1m aperture laser to me.

I assume it comes with a 100Km long power cord? Thats gonna take some juice.

TB