Death in Service

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Danny_Dravot, Apr 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just ruminating over this ....let me know your thoughts...

If a married soldier is dies whilst serving then his spouse gets the death in service package and a widows pension etc. This also applies to Civil Partners whereby the surviving Civil Partner becomes the beneficiary.

For single soldiers, unless i'm mistaken, no such package exists and upon their death there is no such payout or pension to parents or NOK.

Therefore, pri to deploying on ops, Pte A & Pte B could enter into a civil partnership on the understanding that if one one of them is KIA the surviving 'civil partner' inherits a significant amount of cash and a pension, which he could either keep, or give to the parents of the deceased!

Is this possible? Should we encourage it? Or would it lead to increased blue-on-blues motivated by cash!

have i lost the plot - i think so???

2. Mate dont they have to consummate (sp) the relationship 8O
    Could be worrying :wink:

3. who check the hoop elasticity to confirm it?

4. You could be on to something there for the singlies. Why not?

5. Sounds like a good idea to me... although I don't think many of the lads would feel comfortable keeping the money, it would be a nice thing to do if the money was given to the family, gf etc.

6. Fun idea however,

When they both arrive back in the UK still "married" along with another 2-300 "couples" who then decide that bumming life isn't for them you have 2-300 "divorces" and lots of happy tabloid editors.
    Then 12 months later when the next deployment arrives you go through the same circle again. Although 300 stag do's does sound quite appealing and a mass "partnership ceremony" like the moonies.

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hang On a minute! Are you seriously telling me that there is no Death In Service provision for single people under the new pensions scheme?

8. I don't see a problem with that - we've set the conditions for the acceptance of civil partnership - its merely exploiting the system for the soldiers benefit!
    Actually, why go through a divorce, as long as they continue to be in CP they can move out of the block into a quarter....every young toms dream!