Death from above: how Predator is taking its toll on al-Qaed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times
    January 3, 2009
    Death from above: how Predator is taking its toll on al-Qaeda
    Unmanned and heavily armed drones are killing off the 'senior management'

A Predator drone: from as far away as Nevada, in the heart of the US, controllers on the ground are able to strike at bases used by the leadership of al-Qaeda in the borderlands of Pakistan. Casualties have been heavy and new leaders are often not well-known
    Michael Evans
    The top hierarchy of al-Qaeda has taken such a hit from US missile strikes that Osama bin Laden and his deputy have had to replace people in the terrorist organisation with men they have never met, according to Western intelligence sources.

A dozen of al-Qaeda’s “senior management” have been killed by Predator drone attacks, which have been so effective in locating their targets that the militant group has been forced to move from traditional outdoor training camps to classroom-style facilities that are hidden from view.

After the success of the new weapons, which are unmanned and operate by remote control from 15,000 feet, the United States is to step up its drone attacks. On January 1 Hellfire missiles, operated from an air force base in Nevada, hit targets in the South Waziristan region of Pakistan, close to Afghanistan, and yesterday two missiles slammed into the stronghold where Baitullah Mehsud, the Pakistani Taleban leader, is believed to live.
    More on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5435471.ece

2. Jolly good show.

We need more of these drones, with more rockets.

Really put a squeaze on the terrorists.

Always dubious about the working out of USA bases though.

Airman comes home, "what did you do today dear!, says the mrs.

"oh, just dropped 2 Hellfires in to some Terrorists about 45 minutes ago".

Very surreal, to be sure

3. In 1973, my Mom and I travelled to Guam to stay with my Dad while he flew B-52 combat missions into SEA. We shared a rented house offbase with my Dad's EW Officer and his family. As a 4 year old, it didn't really register with me, but it surely had to be surreal to Dad to kiss the wife good bye, fly 16 hours, drop several tons of bombs, and be home for a late dinner...

4. Must have been very wierd, YL.

When the bad guys explode on the TV, does a score pop up?

Simulated image of what a predator drone target screen MIGHT look like in a nest of AQ.

[​IMG]

5. I'm not suprised after what he did to Arnie and his mates!

Taxi? Already?

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Let's not forget the immense POLITICAL advantage of being able to bomb without PoWs resulting (cue pic of John Nicol in Iraqi custody) (let alone kia/mia).

7. I wonder if I can borrow one of these things so that I can wipe out the fat obnoxious c*nt who works on the tills at Tesco in Catterick?

8. fck that, take out the entire shit hole

9. Xbox achievements unlocked I'd assume.

10. [quote="Yank_Lurker
    In 1973, my Mom and I travelled to Guam to stay with my Dad while he flew B-52 combat missions into SEA. We shared a rented house offbase with my Dad's EW Officer and his family. As a 4 year old, it didn't really register with me, but it surely had to be surreal to Dad to kiss the wife good bye, fly 16 hours, drop several tons of bombs, and be home for a late dinner...[/quote]

Thank you YL. You've raised the game here.
    the real point here is whether Predator is Counter Productive. Are the users sure of the guilt of the targets? And the By Standers?
    Compare Predator use to Denis Healey's use of air in the Confrontation.

11. They do seem to be achieving the desired results. I believe this is more due to an improvement in intelligence than the capabilites of the Predators though. I really doubt that SIGINT is achiving quite this level of return. The US HUMINT effort does seem to have improved greatly over the last 5 years. The Predator attacks could equally have been achieved using manned aircraft, the drones do allow more flexibility of operating in areas where the US (and ourselves now) 'shouldn't' be. They can operate in Pakistani airspace where a manned aircraft would 'have' to be challenged by the Pakistani Air Force, with consequences that could be embarassing.