Death does it hold any fears?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Jesus this thread is depressing... Death is something I dont want to think about, I have too much to do/see/look after. Call if fear... or maybe just an extreme case of FOMO.

I take it you're quite young?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I would say a young 42 years old.

That's young in terms of thinking about death. You're not ready to approach it in an accepting and sanguine manner, and that should be normal for most young whippersnappers. ;-)

That's young in terms of thinking about death. You're not ready to approach it in an accepting and sanguine manner, and that should be normal for most young whippersnappers. ;-)
I have young kids as well - When I was younger I had the usual close calls with death and wouldn't flinch. Babies have changed me a lot. Unfortunately I have seen some relatives go way too early.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I have young kids as well - When I was younger I had the usual close calls with death and wouldn't flinch. Babies have changed me a lot. Unfortunately I have seen some relatives go way too early.

I have to say I have no experience of young kids in the family; I'm sure that makes a big difference for most people in terms of wanting to stay healthy and live longer!

(Apart from the horrible types that keep popping them out with no thought to the shitty future they are condemning them to... :-( - that's a whole different topic.)

For me it's not the thought of actual death per se that worries me, it's how quickly my life so far has passed by.

The last 20 years seems to have gone by in a blur (not an alcohol induced blur as I didn't spend my career in Ze Faterland).
Is it just me but it seems the older you get the years pass by even faster. Left the army 20yrs ago in my mid 20s and dont know how the fuck my HGV medical is next month. Take it as it comes these days lost a good work mate at the age of 39 massive heart attack whilst on a conference call at work when he was working from home.

anglo

LE
Is it just me but it seems the older you get the years pass by even faster. Left the army 20yrs ago in my mid 20s and dont know how the **** my HGV medical is next month. Take it as it comes these days lost a good work mate at the age of 39 massive heart attack whilst on a conference call at work when he was working from home.
I left the forces 44years ago, the years have gone faster than the speed of light

Now aged 63 with a couple of serious scares behind me, possible prostate problem ahead, tired of the same old Shiite every day, bring it on!

(don’t want any of that painful crap though...)

Facing up to old age and I used to be worried that my sons would be stuck without me doing everything for them. Trust me Ive tried but realised its a one way trip to depression. The reason Ive started this thread isn't to get all maudlin or even god bothering but to say simply (misquoting someone famous or infamous no doubt) that if you have only death itself to fear then death should hold no fear for you.
I'm not being a hero or anything but I have sort of lined up my ducks and I know that once I am dead there is sod all that I can do about it so there you have it I dont actually give a tinkers cuss about dying, the afterlife, any fanciful story about the ever after or my non existent soul. I am but a (slightly warped) collection of cells bunged together many years ago approaching expiry and its something that whilst I am not in a rush to accelerate doesn't bother me much anymore.

Posted in the naafi for entertainment rather than help. There are enough mental health threads already and this isn't one of them, mental maybe but not healthy!
Does it hold any fears...

If Corbyn gets in it’ll be a blessed release...

I have to say I have no experience of young kids in the family; I'm sure that makes a big difference for most people in terms of wanting to stay healthy and live longer!

(Apart from the horrible types that keep popping them out with no thought to the shitty future they are condemning them to... :-( - that's a whole different topic.)
If I stop posting.. This is probably what got me.

Everyone should have twelve stellas and four margaritas in my honor... Because If I am dead, I want you all to suffer too.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a thought , looking at the deaths in the past three years of elderly veterans i've come to believe that there comes a time when you are old enough that you decide to call it a day . UIve seen them give up the ghost once their wife goes or when the last shipmate or oppo dies .

Does it hold any fears...

If Corbyn gets in it’ll be a blessed release...
Well if the recent figures regarding deterioration in NHS performance, in areas of emergency care, routine operations and cancer continue, then the Conservatives will be enhancing the likelihood of your blessed release happening sooner rather than later.

Comrade Corbyn has plans to sort it with his 4 day working week for NHS workers and such like............um yep that'll work won't it?......NOT.

Back to plan B, keep one last round for blessed release purposes.

ugly

LE
Back to plan B, keep one last round for blessed
A younger mate dying early this year asked me to shoot him as 5 inoperable brain tumours were making his last weeks unbearable!
He smiled and apologised I told him I was sorry

Last edited:
Had the big Op last friday, and am back home with a couple of drainage bags as new body enhancements, chemo starts next week, have been informed I am stage 3,so when this bout of chemo is finished,bags will be packed to go on a world search for yellow handbags ,warsteiner and Lhao Khao,before I forget all you old and bold survivors of 1960,s 59 and 54 sqn RE,s, and any other branches who served on OP Crown, next friday the 29/11/2019 is the 54th anniversary of the death of sapper James Box ,lest we forget

Just a thought , looking at the deaths in the past three years of elderly veterans i've come to believe that there comes a time when you are old enough that you decide to call it a day . UIve seen them give up the ghost once their wife goes or when the last shipmate or oppo dies .

The longer you are married, in my case 41 years, the quicker you go after your wife, or husband. A few years ago reported in the papers, a married couple of some 70+ years, one died, the other died just hours later,. ......have a nice day!