Death does it hold any fears?

It's normal for grandparents to go first, then parents, and so on in the normal way.

Just had a call from a "mature" student of mine - I knew something was wrong when I missed a call from her last night, she left a message to say she would call at 1000 today.

Her son has been diagnosed with Stage 4 bone cancer which has spread to liver and lungs.

Why is life so ******* shitty??
Our Godson died suddenly after contacting a blood condition which killed him in less than 36 hours. He was 29 years old. He had already lost his mother when he was about a year old.

I don't know how his dad found the strength to pick himself both times.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
An army mate recently slipped his mortal coil. Our military facebook page had the usual messages of condolence and asking about funeral arrangements. Turns out that his wishes were just to have a direct cremation. No fuss, no ceremony, no weeping by the side of a coffin, no 'Final songs' for the family to sit through during the service.

It wasn't for any desire to save money and have a pauper's funeral, it was just that he'd made his peace and after a short bout of illness fighting the C he was ready and didn't want any fuss for the family. Just asked for to put a coin or two in the tin on Remembrance Day and raise a glass to him and others gone before....

A death like that, where you can speak to your family, even if that is by the side of your death bed and comfort them as you slip away, allows them to grieve without having to go through the grief all over again in a ceremony of opening and shutting curtains a few days or weeks later... (it was nearly a month before my FiL was cremated because of the numbers waiting for a service that had died before him)

Direct cremation. No bother with viewing, embalming and all the other associated faff. Less money lining the pockets of the funeral directors (there isn't a poor one amongst the lot of them)

I quite liked the sound of that actually.
There’s a company called Pure Cremation who offer that service. No messing about, they give you a card for your wallet and it’s all taken care of. My mum ended up getting stung for £3500 to have a 20 minute crem do for my dad.

Not for me, life insurance only goes so far and I don’t want to waste money. I’ve told the wife that I want some of my ashes made into a pendant that she can wear. That way, I get to spend a bit more time nestled between my wife’s fantastic breasts.

And no, no pictures.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’ve told the wife that I want some of my ashes made into a pendant that she can wear. That way, I get to spend a bit more time nestled between my wife’s fantastic breasts.

And no, no pictures.
I'll send you some.

Its a rare day to be able to skate in hell but I'm with Stephen Fry on the issue of if there is a god why does childhood leukemia exist?
If there is a God, he’s a weird fucker to say the least. I could understand an omnipotent creator just having the time and resources for the big picture but He / She has obviously had the time to knock up some really fucked-up little details too.

There’s a company called Pure Cremation who offer that service. No messing about, they give you a card for your wallet and it’s all taken care of.
My neighbour works for them. His 'company car' is a big black van private ambulance with the Pure Cremation logo on the side which is always parked on the driveway ready and on call to cart corpses off to the ovens.

My brother-in-law is also sales director for a company that builds high quality stretch limousines and hearses. It doesn't half get curtains twitching in our street when he turns up at my place in one of his gleaming Jaguar hearses... especially when he's here every couple of months. My neighbours must wonder what's going on with so many deaths in the family...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Our Godson died suddenly after contacting a blood condition which killed him in less than 36 hours. He was 29 years old. He had already lost his mother when he was about a year old.

I don't know how his dad found the strength to pick himself both times.
Can't give you a like as that's terrible. Hope things get easier for him and he can find a way through it.

My neighbour works for them. His 'company car' is a big black van private ambulance with the Pure Cremation logo on the side which is always parked on the driveway ready and on call to cart corpses off to the ovens.

My brother-in-law is also sales director for a company that builds high quality stretch limousines and hearses. It doesn't half get curtains twitching in our street when he turns up at my place in one of his gleaming Jaguar hearses... especially when he's here every couple of months. My neighbours must wonder what's going on with so many deaths in the family...
"Pickup or delivery?"

Club Swinger

War Hero
Thought this was a fairly poignant photograph with a message just as important.
20191010_222828.jpg

20191010_222853.jpg

Forgot about this side of things. Because of what happened to my dad, I'm a registered organ donor.

Even if there is absolutely nothing after death, hopefully at least parts of me will still be going strong in other people and that they'll always be thinking off me.

Kommandant van Heerden walt

I recently went through the examination and colonoscopy but came out with a clean slate, but it was a bit worrying wondering what would happen to my family if it turned out to be something serious.

I hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck.
How TF did you get a slate up there? Did you accidentally "fall on it" while getting in the shower?

Always wanted to buy an old classic car hearse, put a roof rack on it and drive around with a sealed, insulated coffin on the roof of the car, full of ice and beer.

Fishbulb

Clanker
Always wanted to buy an old classic car hearse, put a roof rack on it and drive around with a sealed, insulated coffin on the roof of the car, full of ice and beer.
Perhaps I'm being a mong, but if you had a vehicle designed to carry a coffin internally and very visibly, why would you strap it to the outside?

Comfy futon inside and the hounds would be riding with me.

Also, probably not a good idea to have access to beer while driving if stopped by les flics.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yep we've discussed this.
You have your classic:

Lowrider:

Understated:

Fast:

Rodded:

Rat Rodded:

And just plain stupid:

Which one do we get and when's the road trip to LM ?

Oh hell yeah! I think getting that through the Moz border would be the biggest problem. The thieves in white would find a million reasons to delay you in order to extract wonga.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m currently reading a book for reviewing on this site.
All that Remains. The author is Professor of anthropology Sue Black and it’s rather interesting especially if you are seriously thinking of donating your body for dissection.
She discusses death in all its forms and I’m about half way through.
This thread appears to have attracted quite a few posters, Im hoping to finish the book by next Friday so hopefully the review will be up in just over a week, for now I will just say this, it’s very thought provoking.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh hell yeah! I think getting that through the Moz border would be the biggest problem. The thieves in white would find a million reasons to delay you in order to extract wonga.
How about Beira via the Kruger ?
If not, Salisbury's broken, so Windhoek it is.

I visited my estranged brother yesterday , he has undergone treatment for prostrate cancer , and it was sucessful, but has now returned and he has it in his ribs as well,
We hadn't spoken civilly to each other for a number of years , and I only found out that the cancer had returned from my sister who metioned it in her weekly phone call
I went over to see how he is , and he is in shit state to put it bluntly , he has Crohnes syndrome as well and this was masking the effects of the cancer and delayed testing
he's pretty poorly, but I noticed he has gone full out repairing and completing all his model boats , he was always a very skilled modeller and I suppose they will be a bit of a legacy when he goes in the not too distant future.
A pleasant couple of hours , no mention of our disagreement, and the hatchet , as they say , has been buried. He and I both know that he's not got long , although my niece seems to be under the impression he is over exaggerating a bit ,I left there knowing that probably wont see each other again , but knowing that nothing important hasn't been left unsaid, after all , we're a long time dead. Now a visit to his eldest son next week to get him to go round and sort his (also totally irrellevant) shit out with his Dad while he still has the time

Swakopmund. There's a brewery and the fishing is excellent. Got a mate in the area whose missus makes dry wors using gemsbok with garlic and a drop of brandy - lush!

Latest Threads