Death by smoking

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BiscuitsAB, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

in the Uk according to current TV adverts there are 2000 smoking related deaths a year.

Smoking is bad terribly bad and it kills you.

Except that there were 611800 deaths in the UK in 2004.

so by my reckoning thats around 0.33% of the annual death toll that can be contributed in some way to smoking.

looks like another government con for the masses.

2. Its all nonsense; i fail to see how smoking can harm the health.

[​IMG]

fcuk it, im off for a harry rag.

3. Smoking killed my uncle,he was crossing the street to buy fags and got run down by a bus

4. The only fags that are guaranteed to kill you are American ones. They get terrifically jealous then buy a Colt and stalk you.

5. This is from personal experience?

6. More on thread. About 4 years ago I had a full medical check-up. Doctor said, You, Scrof, are one in 5000 people, you are likely to be able to smoke to your heart's content without ever meeting the Grim Reaper vis a vis tobacco. I said Got a light?

7. There are many cases where people who have given up smoking have died as a result. I cite the case where many gave it up and saved the money they would have spent for something special. They booked a flight on Concorde - and it crashed. So giving up smoking killed them.

8. Nah, I pack a Glock!

9. I can't imagine what use a curtain rod* would be to you when there is a rampant bandit out to plunder your starfish

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, me and the good lady are giving up on Sunday. Been to the doctor; said give us some drugs to help us give up the drugs (Champex - methadone for smokers), as we've tried every other alternative remedy including acupuncture (got stabbed up), aversion therapy (did crack for a while), herbal alternatives (got arrested), sleep therapy (sleep-smoked), hypnososis (how was I to know I was robbing a bank for the cnut - I was under officer), patches (got completely off me t!ts before falling over in a swoon and breaking my nose, before vomiting all over myself and nearly choking on it - not nice them patches), inhalers (increased, not decreased my addiction, although I DID smell nicer), smoking pens instead (got ink poisoning) and now we're trying this.

Helps that we're skint of course. We'll be saving the money to pay for a holiday - but not flying on concorde, and we'll be following the green cross code when crossing the road.

11. I must say though that those Nicorettes are bloody handy when it comes to a long haul flight, especially in combination with liberal g n t's, ice and a slice and can I see your panties stewardess?