• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Death by Rumour

B

benjaminw1

Quote from the local IoW rag today...

Last Post for infantry TA

The Island's only Territorial Army platoon may be axed by the Ministry of Defence in April.

If 9 Platoon of C Company, the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Royal Rifle Volunteers), disbands it will be offered the choice of joining it's parent unit in Portsmouth or re-badging to a unit of the Royal Logistics Corps to be established in Newport, said a TA spokesman. The Drill Hall in Newport will continue to have a TA role on the Island.

Capt Harry Wragg, the Island's TA's administrator, said "I will be saddened if the Island's infantry link with the mainland is crushed. It would be the end of anera. We are waiting for a final government decision."

Watch out Ben - no TA on the island means they're about to give you to the Frogs. Hope the Secret Army is going to co-ordinate its efforts with an Legion of Frontiersmen who can make themselves available.

whiffler said:
Watch out Ben - no TA on the island means they're about to give you to the Frogs.
No, other rumours abound that the Island is going to be made a 'Holding Area' for unwelcome visitors to the UK (Australians, Kiwi's, South Africans)... there they will be 're-educated' in the ways of civilized culture and the need to walk up and down outside my house at 3 in the morning singing 'Crowded House' songs will be erased from their brain (cell).

It is also reported that once the Education Centre is established it's location will be leaked to the first emerging Middle Eastern Nuclear Power with the suggestion that this may make a perfect 'First Strike' location...

Or maybe I made that all up...

Quote from the Guardian today, 2012...

Last Post for infantry TA

The Island's only Territorial Army platoon may be axed by the Ministry of Defence in April.

If 9 Platoon of C Company (Royal Regiment of Britain) European Army disbands it will be offered the choice of joining it's parent unit in Paris or re-badging to a unit of the Euroyal Logistics Corps to be re-established in Grantham, said a TA spokesman. The Drill Hall in London will continue to have a TA role on the Island.

Capt Harry Wragg, the Island's TA's administrator, said "I will be saddened if the Island's infantry link with the Continent is crushed. It would be the end of an era. We are waiting for a final Euro Parliament decision."

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Harry Wragg - Top PSAO, and all-round good egg.

Can anyone tell me the title of the IoW PWRR Platoon? I seem to remember that it was the longest title I'd ever seen - something like "9 (Princess somebody's own Regiment) Platoon, C (Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment) Company, the Royal Rifle Volunteers."

Needed a sign the size of the Drill Hall.

I've done my Tafs 1 & 2 and will be doing my first Tuts next weekend at Bedford, and I have my CMSR in April/May at Bassingborne

Try 9 Platoon, (Princess Beatrices' Own), C Company (Duke of Connaughts), Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment (Queens and Hampshires) or something like that.
A Caulkhead sends.

OldSnowy said:
Harry Wragg - Top PSAO, and all-round good egg.

Can anyone tell me the title of the IoW PWRR Platoon? I seem to remember that it was the longest title I'd ever seen - something like "9 (Princess somebody's own Regiment) Platoon, C (Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment) Company, the Royal Rifle Volunteers."

Needed a sign the size of the Drill Hall.
Was it not something like "Duke of Connaught's".

I should know, really. I was at Hilsea for about three months. Hi, woody! I'm the Gwarr Greenjacket from the Londons. J** C**k'll know who I am if you don't remember.

P.S. you should have seen the amount of TRFs they wore - the indian tiger, PWRR DZ flash and the RRV stag. They had a few probs fitting on the old ISAF flash IIRC.

9 (Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles) Platoon, C (Duke of Connaught's Own Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)) Company, The Royal Rifle Volunteers.

The Pl Comd got some tired of waiting he left the island and went elsewhere, it's almost a year since the Pl were told they were being cut.

Rumour (death from) of course, but I was led to believe that for some weird and wonderful reason (no doubt kept quiet from the incumbent), that the Pl Comd had as an unofficial title 'Supreme Commander Channel Approaches'.

I really do hope it is true. Now is there time to apply, and where has all that gold braid gone?

Also known as supreme commander land forces lsle of wight :lol: . Odd place and some decidely odd soldiers .Guess they will be missed if only as the rest of the coy cant whine about them .Dont mention the effing tiger trf caused trouble in iraq last year so I'm told.

Oi that is utterly out of order .Lets not mention the Islander who went awol .Which we dont as too many of the head shed come from the island at least there not scummers ?

Latest Threads