Dear DG

Truxx

LE
@Truxx
Obviously, you are wasting your time. You know that, I know that.

However...

You might like to invite him to focus initial thoughts on News and Current Affairs. He has the background, and it is the area that, at the end of the day, invites the most brickbats thrown at the DG, rightly or wrongly.

Now, given his background, he will doubtless be inclined to think that BBC News is wonderful. Polling indicates that, amongst the public at large, broadcast TV is still the most trusted source of news in the UK. (Stand fast the teens of course.) However, ever since Saville (but not necessarily just because of him), said trust has nevertheless roughly halved. So for the BBC to be more trusted by the UK public than The Sun or The Telegraph or Bob down the Slaughtered Lamb pub is not something about which one should be overly smug if you are a DG.

Impartiality does not mean giving equal weight to every single opinion. The BBC have already picked one notorious issue on which they are prepared to take such a stance - anthropogenic climate change. (I think they are wholly wrong, personally, but that is another matter.) So they are willing and able to ignore minority views when it they judge it right so to do.

Points of detail - stop News being so bloody patronising. Nothing sets my teeth on edge more than hearing Huw or Fiona or Rita or George introduce a piece with "X now explains..."

You and I have spent too much time dealing with supposedly expert journalists, assigned to cover Defence. You and I know how fecking ignorant they tended to be, and worse, how if they actually acquired any knowledge, they would quickly be transferred to another role for the crime of "going native". (Are they still allowed to say that in the Beeb?) So given that I know just how ignorant Defence corrs are, why should I believe that Fergus Walsh has a bloody clue about Health? Or Bronwen Maddox about Education? OK, Robert Peston is no longer a BBC problem, but it is perhaps worth pointing out to Mr Davie that Peston in his Beeb days was chosen by the estimable editors of the Viz Profanisaurus as the exemplar of AFKIAWKFA - A Fecking Know It All Who Knows Feck All. He is an extreme example of an all too common malaise. That is Viz talking, not some crazed right wing ex mil discontents.

So, who are they to "explain"?

Oh, and scrap things such as Reality Check. The Beeb is supposed to be impartial. Yet the issues that come up on "Reality Check" are always highly politicised. And the facts are often debateable. So either the Beeb compromises its impartiality, or, wimps out with a classic bit of "on the one hand, on the other hand..."

Stop applying Brit liberal editorial overlay to your US reporting. (This is not just about their hatred of Trump.) Firstly, none of your "US Editors" understand the Yanks. Second, you are damaging not just the Beeb's reputation, but also the UK's reputation, with the Yanks by preaching about gun control or law enforcement or health care or whatever.

Now, the only way you might get Mr Davie to read this is by affixing your missive to the radiator of one of your Scammells and driving it through his living room wall. But that would be sheer vandalism. Of your Scammell. But do crack on old bean!
I was giving some thought earlier about how I could actually get him to read it.

Brown envelope marked "HMRC" probably.

Truxx

LE
@Truxx
Obviously, you are wasting your time. You know that, I know that.

However...

You might like to invite him to focus initial thoughts on News and Current Affairs. He has the background, and it is the area that, at the end of the day, invites the most brickbats thrown at the DG, rightly or wrongly.

Now, given his background, he will doubtless be inclined to think that BBC News is wonderful. Polling indicates that, amongst the public at large, broadcast TV is still the most trusted source of news in the UK. (Stand fast the teens of course.) However, ever since Saville (but not necessarily just because of him), said trust has nevertheless roughly halved. So for the BBC to be more trusted by the UK public than The Sun or The Telegraph or Bob down the Slaughtered Lamb pub is not something about which one should be overly smug if you are a DG.

Impartiality does not mean giving equal weight to every single opinion. The BBC have already picked one notorious issue on which they are prepared to take such a stance - anthropogenic climate change. (I think they are wholly wrong, personally, but that is another matter.) So they are willing and able to ignore minority views when it they judge it right so to do.

Points of detail - stop News being so bloody patronising. Nothing sets my teeth on edge more than hearing Huw or Fiona or Rita or George introduce a piece with "X now explains..."

You and I have spent too much time dealing with supposedly expert journalists, assigned to cover Defence. You and I know how fecking ignorant they tended to be, and worse, how if they actually acquired any knowledge, they would quickly be transferred to another role for the crime of "going native". (Are they still allowed to say that in the Beeb?) So given that I know just how ignorant Defence corrs are, why should I believe that Fergus Walsh has a bloody clue about Health? Or Bronwen Maddox about Education? OK, Robert Peston is no longer a BBC problem, but it is perhaps worth pointing out to Mr Davie that Peston in his Beeb days was chosen by the estimable editors of the Viz Profanisaurus as the exemplar of AFKIAWKFA - A Fecking Know It All Who Knows Feck All. He is an extreme example of an all too common malaise. That is Viz talking, not some crazed right wing ex mil discontents.

So, who are they to "explain"?

Oh, and scrap things such as Reality Check. The Beeb is supposed to be impartial. Yet the issues that come up on "Reality Check" are always highly politicised. And the facts are often debateable. So either the Beeb compromises its impartiality, or, wimps out with a classic bit of "on the one hand, on the other hand..."

Stop applying Brit liberal editorial overlay to your US reporting. (This is not just about their hatred of Trump.) Firstly, none of your "US Editors" understand the Yanks. Second, you are damaging not just the Beeb's reputation, but also the UK's reputation, with the Yanks by preaching about gun control or law enforcement or health care or whatever.

Now, the only way you might get Mr Davie to read this is by affixing your missive to the radiator of one of your Scammells and driving it through his living room wall. But that would be sheer vandalism. Of your Scammell. But do crack on old bean!
oh and that explaining thing? Like discovering and explaining the "r" number weeks after it was first raised at the press briefing (too busy gobbing off about PPE).?

I have dubbed that "beebsplaining"

I expect it to appear in the COD soon.

So for the BBC to be more trusted by the UK public than The Sun or The Telegraph or Bob down the Slaughtered Lamb pub
What about ‘Karen from Facebook’ or ‘Random Knobber‘ on Twitter? Is the BBC more trusted than those two unimpeachable gold standards of news delivery?

Bodenplatte

War Hero
(oh how I miss Bill McLaren).
"There'll be singing and dancing in the streets of Hawick tonight . . ."

"That one will have snow on it when it comes down . . . . . "

We need Steve "stroppy little Frog" Smith, and Brian "M'sieur Pitbull" Moore as the only commentators on all England v France fixtures, and Erica Roe as the half time entertainment.

Last edited:
Can you ask him to commission a TV drama series about black slavery? ...however instead of the focus being on 'White Masters' which we all know about now because of the valuable education that BLM has given us, the series could instead concentrate entirely on the slave trade period before the nasty Europeans became involved.... dramatise it.... Eastenders in loincloths sort of thing maybe., but with better acting and scripts ... or 'Kunty Kinte the Early Years'.. inter tribal rivalry and taking of slaves for work, prostitution and human sacrifice.. the sort of thing that was the norm between African tribes at the time.

The historical context could be set around the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey (now Benin) at the time of King Agaja as that gives some cultural interest what with around 500 to 4,000 slaves being offered as human sacrifice by beheading as an integral part of the annual ceremony. I'm sure there's a rich vein of untapped historical drama, with an educational slant, to be brought to the public's attention now that black oppression back through the mists of time is front and centre of everyone's minds....

Last edited:
Can you ask him to commission a TV drama series about black slavery? ...however instead of the focus being on 'White Masters' which we all know about now because of the valuable education that BLM has given us, the series could instead concentrate entirely on the slave trade period before the nasty Europeans became involved.... dramatise it.... Eastenders in loincloths sort of thing maybe., but with better acting and scripts ... or 'Kunty Kinte the Early Years'.. inter tribal rivalry and taking of slaves for work, prostitution and human sacrifice.. the sort of thing that was the norm between African tribes at the time.

The historical context could be set around the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey (now Benin) at the time of King Agaja as that gives some cultural interest what with around 500 to 4,000 slaves being offered as human sacrifice by beheading as an integral part of the annul ceremony. I'm sure there's a rich vein of untapped historical drama to be brought to the public's attention now that black oppression back through the mists of time is front and centre of everyone's minds....
Yes but what was whitey's role in all this?

What about ‘Karen from Facebook’ or ‘Random Knobber‘ on Twitter? Is the BBC more trusted than those two unimpeachable gold standards of news delivery?
Depends on the demographic.

As far as most of the older generation are concerned, the Beeb is more trusted.

As far as millennials, and septuagenarian Marxist politicians / allotment horticulturists from North London are concerned, then obviously...

Yes but what was whitey's role in all this?
Suppressing it. Rob's Dad's series could end with a downbeat spot of insensitive cultural vandalism by the RN turning up in HMS Black Joke (herself a repurposed Brazilian slaving ship that had been captured), with appalling 14 year old English midshipmen, such as young Mr Hinde, leading boarding parties to steal African trade goods (ie other Africans).

EDIT - by the bye, Black Joke, a ship so small and poorly armed (one 18 pdr) that she does not even make it into Colledge's Ships of the Royal Navy, yet rescued in excess of 3800 slaves in five years off West Africa, including the single biggest ever "slave bust" of 645 on 16 May 1828.

Last edited:

The historical context could be set around the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey (now Benin) at the time of King Agaja as that gives some cultural interest what with around 500 to 4,000 slaves being offered as human sacrifice by beheading as an integral part of the annual ceremony. I'm sure there's a rich vein of untapped historical drama, with an educational slant, to be brought to the public's attention now that black oppression back through the mists of time is front and centre of everyone's minds....
An excellent idea, now obviously there needs to be some written eye witness accounts from those around at the time.
I'm sure that in that vast continent there must have been some scholarly erudite types taking copious notes...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

JuniorBod

War Hero
Dear DG,
Will you please change BBC culture to realise that London does not represent the UK as a whole and that BBC thinking needs to recognise that London actually is an outlier for UK statistics, especially in BAME.
That's you on ze list....

JB

Maybe you could point out to the DG that not every Police Detective Department, Military Battalion, Large Corporation, or Government Spy agencies are run by five levels of female supervisors before seeing the level six chap who just happens to be a male and the series know nothing dick-head.

You may also want to mention that BBC America is still broadcasting in non HD and still showing continual repeats of Top Gear 2004,5,6,& 7.

Both items are embarrassing the U.K!

Last edited:
Ask him to ‘retire‘ Andrew Marr! This mornings example, questioning Matt Hancock - “why are there no blacks in the Cabinet”?!
From the 2011 census: Black citizens in England constitute 3.4% of the population. White British represent 80%, while Asians number 6.8%. Chinese, Arab and 'others' amount to less than 1% each.

65 MPs (10%) in the current parliament are from ethnic minority backgrounds. 45 (6.8%) of MPs are Gay, 41 Labour MPs are from Ethnic minorities (23.2% of Labour members). Basically, pro rata representation is not possible because of the demographic and spatial distribution of minority ethnicities. That apart we are not doing too badly.

Labour, it would appear are pandering to the minorities rather than attempting to represent the majority given that minorities are over-represented in the parliamentary party. There are also more women than ever in Parliament - more than half of Labour and the Liberal parties MPs are currently female. So progress is happening.

Perhaps when some of them focus on current issues instead of sectarian agendas and stop flogging the British people for the sins of the fathers, we might actually restore our high standards of public service and get a grip on the immediate threats to the country.

From the 2011 census: Black citizens in England constitute 3.4% of the population. White British represent 80%, while Asians number 6.8%. Chinese, Arab and 'others' amount to less than 1% each.

65 MPs (10%) in the current parliament are from ethnic minority backgrounds. 45 (6.8%) of MPs are Gay, 41 Labour MPs are from Ethnic minorities (23.2% of Labour members). Basically, pro rata representation is not possible because of the demographic and spatial distribution of minority ethnicities. That apart we are not doing too badly.

Labour, it would appear are pandering to the minorities rather than attempting to represent the majority given that minorities are over-represented in the parliamentary party. There are also more women than ever in Parliament - more than half of Labour and the Liberal parties MOs are currently female. So progress is happening.

Perhaps when some of them focus on current issues instead of sectarian agendas and stop flogging the British people for the sins of the fathers, we might actually restore our high standards of public service and get a grip on the immediate threats to the country.

Shortened version of the above:- Do the bloody job you are paid for, without the bias, and self important bollox.