Dear DG

Truxx

LE
because they fell fr a government trap. The govt "paid" for the free over 70's licenses, then a few years back in a bit of slick negotiations they passed it over to the BBC who missed the small print . So the cash strapped BBC then wer lumbered with the additional cot of "paying " for free licences. just look it up I know i'm correct on this matter .
The cash strapped BBC that intends to pay its DG half a million a year?

That cash strapped BBC you mean?

And in answer to your other post having a bleat the reason that I am minded to say my piece is that actually I am a great supporter of the BBC. I have been all over the shop doing comms stuff and across the globe the BBC is seen as the gold standard. At the same time, like other great institutions there is now clear blue water between what their reputation is and what they are actually delivering, and I for one am deeply disappointed with that.

Normally this would not concern me one iota - I am firmly from the school of thought that says "if you don't want coal don't pay miners" but the trouble is that this is a publicly funded junket, and it is high time that they did what they were supposed to be doing.

Danny Dyer doing a mockney accent in Pidgin English would be quite funny though, it might make Eastenders watchable
Nothing on earth would ever make Eastenders watchable.

You haven't listened to Radio 1 in the last couple of years, have you?
I haven't listened to Radio 1 since the late 80s, the time music turned shit and R1 DJs shitter.

@Truxx

Please could you ask the new DG to appoint Laura Kuenssberg to the role of a foreign correspondent. Somewhere like Eswatini might be just perfect.

Thanks awfully.

BT did it years ago at one time BT were the initials for British Telecom ... the Company is now listed as BT .... the BBC could revert to 2LO .... it is still London centred
They could but the history of 2LO is a chapter that should be frozen in time. Leave it remembered but untarnished. They can chose something else in 2027 to mark the new chapter after a century as the BBC if they want as long as it doesn't represent in name what it doesn't appear to represent in practice.

I would like to retain something like the World service so long as it is not anti-British and remains balanced in it's reporting. Also the sort of science and technology programming that has been appearing on BBC4.

@Truxx

Please could you ask the new DG to appoint Laura Kuenssberg to the role of a foreign correspondent. Somewhere like Eswatini might be just perfect.

Thanks awfully.

To warm and comfortable, might I suggest Fairbanks Alaska, it might just cool her down, and certainly keep her well in doors and out of everyone's way.

They could but the history of 2LO is a chapter that should be frozen in time. Leave it remembered but untarnished. They can chose something else in 2027 to mark the new chapter after a century as the BBC if they want as long as it doesn't represent in name what it doesn't appear to represent in practice.
Agreed and my 2LO comment was very much tongue in cheek ... I together with many of my relatives and neigbours have effectively stopped watching . listening to BBC .... I was an avid R4 fan but no longer ... I now mainly listen to Classic FM to get away from constant doom and gloom broadcasting .

@Truxx

Thanks awfully.
King Sobhuza's shade is already fucking livid at the antics of the shitweasel Mswati. Do you want him to go completely monkey poo having that thing soiling his country with its presence?

Yokel

LE
What thread is this in? Is it the NAAFI Bar?

1. More serious documentaries.
2. More programmes presented by Liz Bonin, Hannah Fry, Angelica Bell, etc.
3. More female nudity.
4. Show the film Flight Of The Intruder.
5. Study the ideas contained in my thread about ideas for TV programmes.
6. Save BBC4.
7. Employ Brain Blessed as continuity announcer.

No, it was not diversity of opinion. It was very much on-message and inline with the BBC's rather monocular purview.
In your opinion.
I and many others can take the same 'facts' and through selected emphasis and omission make several rather different stories. So, clearly, can you.
As I asked elswhere, did you or others challenge any of their Corbyn stuff? Rhetorical.
In fact, I'd strongly challenge your assertion that she was reporting pure facts. Many of the things she asserted were still under challenge. Several of the 'facts' of the Cummings saga have been shown to be falsehoods.
Like that Cummings had any reason at all to leave London? Glad we have that sorted.
Moreover she did not, as she asserted, speak for the nation. I'd challenge that she even spoke for a majority - that's a real majority, not the 'majority' that the cosmopolitan Left states rather unilaterally that it speaks for.
Sure Boris Johnson crisis: Approval ratings plummet 40 points - shock poll
And even were that not so, there is a place for opinion and a place for news. The clue is there - Newsnight.

If she wants to be some form of Leftist columnist, do it in a forum that people can voluntarily pay for.
Pointing out the bollocks is hardly leftist. As I said at the time, an old colleague, ex RAF, ex Police and current RNLI volunteer, lifelong Tory and Brexit voter, was fuming.

Truxx

LE
In your opinion.
As I asked elswhere, did you or others challenge any of their Corbyn stuff? Rhetorical.
Like that Cummings had any reason at all to leave London? Glad we have that sorted.
Pointing out the bollocks is hardly leftist. As I said at the time, an old colleague, ex RAF, ex Police and current RNLI volunteer, lifelong Tory and Brexit voter, was fuming.
Nice crayoning

Anything useful to add*

* tweets don't count.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In your opinion.
Given that you've shared opinion as fact, bore off. It'll save us both the energy.

Agreed and my 2LO comment was very much tongue in cheek ... I together with many of my relatives and neigbours have effectively stopped watching . listening to BBC .... I was an avid R4 fan but no longer ... I now mainly listen to Classic FM to get away from constant doom and gloom broadcasting .
Occassionaly radio 2, but for preference, smooth radio, or as my Doris calls it " Old Farts radio"
Classic FM is on when I am driving, a very calming effect when surrounded by either static traffic, or cut up by a reversed hatted troglodyte in a souped up prat mobile.

Nice crayoning

Anything useful to add*

* tweets don't count.
You appear confused, no crayons involved. Did you eat them all?

Given that you've shared opinion as fact, bore off. It'll save us both the energy.
Said the man who posted a load of opinion as fact. You're not in the least little bit interested in diversity of opinion on here, let alone the BBC.

@Truxx
Obviously, you are wasting your time. You know that, I know that.

However...

You might like to invite him to focus initial thoughts on News and Current Affairs. He has the background, and it is the area that, at the end of the day, invites the most brickbats thrown at the DG, rightly or wrongly.

Now, given his background, he will doubtless be inclined to think that BBC News is wonderful. Polling indicates that, amongst the public at large, broadcast TV is still the most trusted source of news in the UK. (Stand fast the teens of course.) However, ever since Saville (but not necessarily just because of him), said trust has nevertheless roughly halved. So for the BBC to be more trusted by the UK public than The Sun or The Telegraph or Bob down the Slaughtered Lamb pub is not something about which one should be overly smug if you are a DG.

Impartiality does not mean giving equal weight to every single opinion. The BBC have already picked one notorious issue on which they are prepared to take such a stance - anthropogenic climate change. (I think they are wholly wrong, personally, but that is another matter.) So they are willing and able to ignore minority views when it they judge it right so to do.

Points of detail - stop News being so bloody patronising. Nothing sets my teeth on edge more than hearing Huw or Fiona or Rita or George introduce a piece with "X now explains..."

You and I have spent too much time dealing with supposedly expert journalists, assigned to cover Defence. You and I know how fecking ignorant they tended to be, and worse, how if they actually acquired any knowledge, they would quickly be transferred to another role for the crime of "going native". (Are they still allowed to say that in the Beeb?) So given that I know just how ignorant Defence corrs are, why should I believe that Fergus Walsh has a bloody clue about Health? Or Bronwen Maddox about Education? OK, Robert Peston is no longer a BBC problem, but it is perhaps worth pointing out to Mr Davie that Peston in his Beeb days was chosen by the estimable editors of the Viz Profanisaurus as the exemplar of AFKIAWKFA - A Fecking Know It All Who Knows Feck All. He is an extreme example of an all too common malaise. That is Viz talking, not some crazed right wing ex mil discontents.

So, who are they to "explain"?

Oh, and scrap things such as Reality Check. The Beeb is supposed to be impartial. Yet the issues that come up on "Reality Check" are always highly politicised. And the facts are often debateable. So either the Beeb compromises its impartiality, or, wimps out with a classic bit of "on the one hand, on the other hand..."

Stop applying Brit liberal editorial overlay to your US reporting. (This is not just about their hatred of Trump.) Firstly, none of your "US Editors" understand the Yanks. Second, you are damaging not just the Beeb's reputation, but also the UK's reputation, with the Yanks by preaching about gun control or law enforcement or health care or whatever.

Now, the only way you might get Mr Davie to read this is by affixing your missive to the radiator of one of your Scammells and driving it through his living room wall. But that would be sheer vandalism. Of your Scammell. But do crack on old bean!

Last edited: