Dealing with Equiniti

AFox

Crow
Long term reader, first time poster.

I receive a SAP following a medical discharge under AFPS75/15. I left the service back in October 2017, and pension payments kicked in immediately, but were initially taxed. In April 2018, my primary invaliding condition was accepted as attributable to service, and the pension became non-taxable. Since April 2018, every payment's been fine and as I'd expect it to be.

I've been trying to reclaim the tax paid between Oct 17 and Mar 18. Because it fell in a previous tax year, HMRC (who've been very useful) told me that Equiniti, as the ones who pay my pension, need to send a "previous year correction" to HMRC, at which point HMRC will refund the tax paid.

Trying to get through to Equiniti is extremely painful. I've emailed, sent letters, sat on the phone for ages, but just keep getting fobbed off. First few phone calls told me to write to them, but 2 recorded letters and 2 or 3 emails have gone unacknowledged and unanswered. Last person on the phone barely listened to my name, didn't ask for a reference number or any details, and then just said "no problem, I'll get the admin office to do it" and hung up on me. Unsurprisingly, nothing's happened; it's been a good 6 or 7 months I've been trying to do this now.

Anyone been in the same situation, or have any advice on how to contact someone competent at Equiniti?

Chief Customer Officer
Company Name
Equiniti Full-time
Dates Employed Aug 2019 – Present
Employment Duration10 mos
LocationLondon, United Kingdom

As the Chief Customer Officer for Equiniti, I champion customers and drive growth by embedding a culture of customer satisfaction and advocacy across the business.

I know Equiniti’s customers, and the insights we gain from them, and lead innovative programmes across brand and creative, sales enablement and marketing, communications and corporate responsibility. My passion lies in sustainability and inclusive growth.

First para I understand, second para WTF?! Shiny shoed sales speak.

I know Equiniti’s customers, and the insights we gain from them, and lead innovative programmes across brand and creative, sales enablement and marketing, communications and corporate responsibility. My passion lies in sustainability and inclusive growth.
CV Buzz word generator on steroids?

AFox

Crow
Unfortunately, sending her a message is locked behind the LinkedIn Premium paywall. Not sure it's worth the price :)

Equiniti are pretty poor in dealing directly with customers. I’ve found that to get anything done requires the intervention of The Veterans Agency, who are able to bypass the ignorant fückers receiving calls.

You need to avoid the mistake of calling the general phone number for the VA, they are as much use as chocolate teapot.

Find your regional centre and call them.

@AFox,

A letter to your MP might be helpful, though it would depend on who your MP is.

A bit surprised by the responses above, as it does not mirror my dealings with them. Admittedly they have been few and far between.

I left the service back in October 2017, and pension payments kicked in immediately, but were initially taxed.
In April 2018, my primary invaliding condition was accepted as attributable to service, and the pension became non-taxable. Since April 2018, every payment's been fine and as I'd expect it to be.
@AFox

I know nothing about invaliding pensions. However, it appears to me that you pension payments taxed between Oct 2017 and Mar 2018 might well have been subject to tax as you yourself said above, your pension became non taxable from Apr 2018 and subsequent payments have been fine.

A bit surprised by the responses above, as it does not mirror my dealings with them. Admittedly they have been few and far between.

@AFox

I know nothing about invaliding pensions. However, it appears to me that you pension payments taxed between Oct 2017 and Mar 2018 might well have been subject to tax as you yourself said above, your pension became non taxable from Apr 2018 and subsequent payments have been fine.
You were correct, you do know nothing about invaliding pensions. The tax free status is backdated to award day.

Concur with posters recommending you ask Veterans UK to prod Equiniti

Chimp

ADC
Went through the same thing. Equiniti contacted me and the major hassle was with HMRC. I wrote to Equiniti and HMRC and eventually got it sorted out. This included a pleasant wodge of tax back and a reordering of the tax I had paid on my then job.
Always worth seeking advice from the Armed Forces Pension Society and mentioning this when you write. HMRC will give you the run around, I found Equinti played with a straight bat.
When you send any correspondence always get it signed for - I learned this the hard way from sending stuff to the Veterans’ Agency.
Finally, AFPS subs and signed for postage was a bout £50 and secured many, many more beer tokens.

Unfortunately, sending her a message is locked behind the LinkedIn Premium paywall. Not sure it's worth the price :)
I have all the bells and whistles on LinkedIn and none of her contact details are listed, although this may change if a direct connection is made. I do have the ability to email her directly but that would be from my LinkedIn profile. Obviously if I can help any way just drop me a PM

AFox

Crow
Thanks gaijin, much appreciated; I'll see if I get further with VWS and trying Equiniti again first but might take you up on that.

Others who've had success with Equiniti, what number did you use?

oldfecker

Swinger
Credit where credit is due.

Equiniti and HRMC have both been extremely easy to use and helpful (once you get through).

Having worked in customer services, if you talk to them like sh*t, expect a similar response

Latest Threads