DEALING WITH DRUG ADDICTS: A POISONED CHALICE?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Opiates are morphine and its derivatives like heroin, codeine, buprenorphine etc. They all have the same opiate skeleton and the difference is which extra chemical groups are bolted on the edges.

Opioids are drugs that produce similar effects but may not be related to morphine. Tramadol and fentanyl are the classic examples.

Almost all drugs work because they fit into receptors in the body like a key into a lock. Opiates (through a combination of size, shape, charge and hydrophilic/phobic interactions) fit into the opioid receptors and trigger an effect. Synthetic opioids can trigger those receptors (fentanyl has basically been designed to do that as efficiently as possible) but may trigger other receptors as well with consequent side effects. Tramadol's potential side effect of hallucinating large hairy spiders is one example.

Jarrod has already mentioned the three opioid receptors I know (mu, kappa and delta). I can't remember which ones do what in particular but they are all similar. The opioid receptors control a number of bodily functions but the main one people care about is pain. Trigger enough opioid receptors and pain signals are still generated but the brain essentially ignores them.
I think most are in brain, Kappa is related I think to spinal anaesthesia such as epidural

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Sub groups of receptors but I don’t remember and it’s not that relevant to clinical practice unless perhaps if you’re an anaesthetist.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Remove the source.
Dealers get executed.
Drugies committing crime to feed a habit get hammered by the courts with draconian sentencing.

Those importing the drugs get ALL assets removed, including the assets of immediate family, they are then publicly executed.

I don't agree with a lot of Islamic law, but they've got it right in dealing with the Scum that peddle hard drugs.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Remove the source.
Dealers get executed.
Drugies committing crime to feed a habit get hammered by the courts with draconian sentencing.

Those importing the drugs get ALL assets removed, including the assets of immediate family, they are then publicly executed.

I don't agree with a lot of Islamic law, but they've got it right in dealing with the Scum that peddle hard drugs.
But still people use drugs

Remove the source.
Dealers get executed.

Would you do the same for alcohol? Booze causes more harm to society than almost any other drug (I think heroin still holds the top spot).

How true is this with the middle east area though, genuinely interested to know if harsh sentences (death etc.) deter import and distribution ?

Iran has a terrible problem with opiates. Cheap smack and opium floods in from Afghanistan. Youth unemployment exacerbates the situation.

Sharia doesn't work, especially when half the authorities are corrupt.

Makes a lot of sense.

If I was going to spend money on anything apart from education, it would be on preventing the criminal underclass (and teenagers and anybody in fragile circumstances) from breeding.

Anybody with a conviction for child abuse, serious or habitual domestic violence, or child neglect would go straight from court to hospital for compulsory sterilisation.

Long term contraceptive implants (3-5 year doses) should be compulsory for any women receiving community sentences, or upon release from prison, who are judged unfit to be mothers. If the technology becomes available, men should face the same treatment. It's utterly wrong for a crack addicted prostitute to have babies, or for a habitual criminal to impregnate half a dozen feckless teenagers during his brief periods of liberty.

The Guardianistas would have an orgasm of rage if this became policy, but it would dramatically reduce the number of junkies within a generation.
You don’t have to be a Guardianista to think your nuts. This was the sort of thing the Nazis got up to how long in your utopia would it just be addicts or and underclass before you end up reciting “and then they came for me”

Can you show times where tramadol is prescribed to induce vomiting? I've never heard of it being used as an emetic.

What tramadol does do is act at opioid receptors and produces similar effects to morphine and heroin; the main one in medicine being analgesia.
It may not be prescribed to induce vomiting , but in my case it is very effective at doing so, it also works as an analgesic.

Other analgesics such as morphine have the same outcome for me. Not much fun when recovering from spinal surgery and you projectile vomit vertically upwards, only one place it’s going to land.

Can you show times where tramadol is prescribed to induce vomiting? I've never heard of it being used as an emetic.

What tramadol does do is act at opioid receptors and produces similar effects to morphine and heroin; the main one in medicine being analgesia.
I often see heroin addicts projectile vomit immediately after smoking heroin, and occasionally after injecting. I've yet to catch it on camera. As heroin and tramadol are both opiods I would imagine tramadol could technically induce vomiting.

It may not be prescribed to induce vomiting , but in my case it is very effective at doing so, it also works as an analgesic.

Other analgesics such as morphine have the same outcome for me. Not much fun when recovering from spinal surgery and you projectile vomit vertically upwards, only one place it’s going to land.
I often see heroin addicts projectile vomit immediately after smoking heroin, and occasionally after injecting. I've yet to catch it on camera. As heroin and tramadol are both opiods I would imagine tramadol could technically induce vomiting.
Opioids do often cause nausea and may cause vomiting in some people, no argument there. I take issue with someone describing tramadol as an "emetic with opiate like side effects , including for some people pain relief". I've eaten tramadol like smarties after a couple of operations and never threw up as a result.

I'd also take issue with someone describing morphine as a diarrhoea treatment that sometimes produces analgesia or chemotherapy as a hair removal treatment that occasionally cures cancer.

Opioids do often cause nausea and may cause vomiting in some people, no argument there. I take issue with someone describing tramadol as an "emetic with opiate like side effects , including for some people pain relief".

I'd also take issue with someone describing morphine as a diarrhoea treatment that sometimes produces analgesia or chemotherapy as a hair loss treatment that occasionally cures cancer.
I agree totally, I was merely pointing out in my experience it acts as an emetic, and was always prescribed as an analgesic but having unfortunate side effects.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Iran has a terrible problem with opiates. Cheap smack and opium floods in from Afghanistan. Youth unemployment exacerbates the situation.

Sharia doesn't work, especially when half the authorities are corrupt.
They do have some Methadone prescribing now but it’s limited and sanctions make availability difficult

endure

GCM
How true is this with the middle east area though, genuinely interested to know if harsh sentences (death etc.) deter import and distribution ?
Most of SE Asia has the death penalty for drugs but people still take them.

Due to many many broken bones and some other gravity related injuries , plus Lymes related joint pain one tramadol taken an hour before bed has kept me relatively sane.
Lorazapam mitigates the raging tinnitus to some degree . Has worked relatively well for more than 5 years. As my last decent Dr quoted it's the least worse solution. I am dependent but absolutely take a max of two tramadol a day (on rare occasions) and only ever one lorazapam. Last time I was without the lorazapam I was awake for 5 days and nights . That is horrendous.
Still mustn't grumble:):)