Dead Simple Naan Breads

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dhgrainger1, Mar 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Easy naan breads, much better than any poxy microwave job from Asda:

Schlep 250 grams of Natural Yoghurt into a bowl, with 150 grams of flour. Add any spices you like, I use cumin, poppy seeds, ground coriander, paprika and a bit of chilli powder, and mix it all together with a wooden spoon into a dough. You may need to add extra flour, my quantities are very much what looks right might be right! Once it's in a dough, whack it onto a board with plenty more flour and squash it out nice and thin. You may need to divide the dough up into a number of breads, you're looking for a thickness of only a few millimetres. Make each bread aproaximately twice the size intended, then fold them in half, knead a bit more to seal them, then fry in a very hot pan with no fat or oil. They'll only take a couple of minutes on each side, then serve up!

IF you're not having a curry, they're also great for barbeque's etc, with a sweet tomato and lime salsa.

Enjoy!

2. What sort of flour

3. Plain flour will do it fine mate.

4. Garam flour would be better for this, could I also recommend using garlic and fresh coriander in this recipe for naans.

5. Tried it last night with garlic and coriander, funnily enough.

The naan's were not bad at all.

I reckon missing out the 'fold in half' step, and use this as a base for home made pizza.

6. Didnt get a bad result when I tried it the other night. Reckon I should have rolled it out a bit thinner though as parts of mine werent "done"

7. The pizza base idea struck me too, I think I may try that next time! I've done naan bread pizzas with those pascket jobs from Asda, they're pretty good, may be onto a winner there Ringdoby.

8. I tried this on Sunday, now I am pretty good with chappatis, pooris, and rotis but I just couldn't get your to rise as in a naan. Still good though.
    Will try with yeast next time. And perhaps cover the pan.

Do you get yours to rise much?