Dead Pool 2022

Ray Liotta… heard he was a good fella too…
I'll get caned for this, but I have never watched Goodfellas in its entirety. For me, the defining role for Ray Liotta was his portrayal of a Detroit policeman alongside Jason Isaacs in "NARC".

Or his portrayal of Tommy Vercetti in "Grand Theft Auto:Vice City"

Depeche Mode were THE band for girls when I was at school. Good looking, well turned out lads who could talk about their feelings, which was unlike most of the lads they knew who could merely grunt and were only interested in getting a feel.

Roll forward a few years and in the mid 80s I found myself working as a lowly filing clerk for a life insurance company. This was when the photocopier rather than the computer was the mode of information transmission. As such, it was virtually impossible to keep anything confidential and the medical information of anyone well known was passed around the office for all to snigger at.

The two that stick in my mind are firstly of an ITV news presenter, who picked up a particularly virulent strain of syphilis whilst reporting on the Suez Crisis in 1956 which nearly thirty years of medical science had yet failed to cure. I was going to name him, but it seems at 96 he's still alive, so I'll not worry the mods just yet.

The other was a proposal for insurance from a record company who had invested a significant amount of cash into Depeche Mode and wanted to protect their investment.

All the band, being young, fit lads sailed through except for the singer Dave Gahan whose doctor disclosed had a longstanding addiction to heroin which was likely to be terminal due to the amounts he was taking. The insurance company was keen to retain the business as the premiums were significant and took it on by getting a number of other insurers to share the risk on the basis of that if Gahan died through drug abuse the insurance would be void.

Slightly surprising then that Gahan, despite his well documented brushes with the Reaper is still with us whilst the apparently clean living Andy Fletcher is now playing keyboards for the choir eternal.
He's had an interesting life. Didn't know that snippet.

Does Kevin Spacey own a Webley?

If these are four more 'frequent early hours of the morning dog walkers' attending The Rookery at the top of Streatham Common, where apparently the alleged conversation between strangers encountering KS was the latest showing at Crufts, then the only winners will be the legal teams, kerchiiing!

Last edited:
View attachment 665703
Never heard of one of those. It looks a naughty little thing.

It would mean a two-handed grip for Bernie.

Pah, I had one of those things when I was about eight.

1653633899595.png

Ray Liotta, unlike a lot of actors, he didn't play himself- despite his often demonic roles, folk who have met him often say how much a pleasant, regular family man he was off-screen.
Now he is dead, what will they now say?

an ITV news presenter, who picked up a particularly virulent strain of syphilis whilst reporting on the Suez Crisis in 1956 which nearly thirty years of medical science had yet failed to cure. I was going to name him, but it seems at 96 he's still alive, so I'll not worry the mods just yet.
Apart from being two years out with his age, his name was not only the first one I thought of, but he is the only male newsreader alive from that era. I'm galled by this.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad to see Ray Liotta gone.

Career-defining role in Goodfellas and unfortunately, he played the psycho far too well, causing him to be typecast for the rest of his life.

If you wanted mob menace, or even a crooked cop, cast Ray. Last thing I saw him in was some TV series with J-Lo, which was really bad. He wasn't bad - but you can only work with what you've got and Jello was utter shite. She can't act for toffee.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Is that the same as what ELP used to do? About 12 minutes of bright flashing lights, keyboards and drums. Prog rock in its pomp!
Never saw ELP do it. Even as a youngster I thought they were a bit pretentious. Maybe now I'm a pensioner I should listen?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Apart from being two years out with his age, his name was not only the first one I thought of, but he is the only male newsreader alive from that era. I'm galled by this.
Thanks. Saves googletime.

Sad to see Ray Liotta gone.

Career-defining role in Goodfellas and unfortunately, he played the psycho far too well, causing him to be typecast for the rest of his life.

If you wanted mob menace, or even a crooked cop, cast Ray. Last thing I saw him in was some TV series with J-Lo, which was really bad. He wasn't bad - but you can only work with what you've got and Jello was utter shite. She can't act for toffee.
Those weird and bloody horrible shirt collars (70s?) that they were wearing in Goodfellas, did they ever make it to the UK? I don't remember them.