Dead Pool 2022

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah, the wonderful Violet Carson. Appeared many times with Wilfred Pickles on his game show 'Have a Go, Joe' on the steam wireless. A contemporary of Betty Driver, also known as 'Bet of the Rovers', who was quite a glamorous actress and film star in the 40s. And a very close friend of the ex speaker of the HoC. Betty Boothroyd.
I have a vague memory of Violet Carson as a piano player, or did I just imagine that.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have a vague memory of Violet Carson as a piano player, or did I just imagine that.
Nope, you are quite right. She played for Wilf and had a successful career on things like 'Worker's Playtime' etc.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Cheers, I was beginning to think I'd slipped into some kind of alternate reality.
Nah, we've all been in one for years now.

JAD

LE
Almost deja vu here @Kirkz. I'm sure we have discussed similar in the vinyl group a good while ago, possibly on a Friday night after a few beers and a curry :).

More recently, we also recalled Winifred Atwell and Hilda Woodward (Lieutenant Pigeon) who were who were music hall pianists with Betty Driver (of Corrie Hotpot fame) who was a post war 'singist'.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Almost deja vu here @Kirkz. I'm sure we have discussed similar in the vinyl group a good while ago, possibly on a Friday night after a few beers and a curry :).

More recently, we also recalled Winifred Atwell and Hilda Woodward (Lieutenant Pigeon) who were who were music hall pianists with Betty Driver (of Corrie Hotpot fame) who was a post war 'singist'.
We did, but I don't remember Violet Carson being in there.
Surprisingly while thinking about VC being a pianist it brought back memories of Reg Varney of On the Buses fame, I remember seeing him tickling the ivories on a few entertainment progs back in the day. He was also the first person to use a cash machine.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Surprisingly while thinking about VC being a pianist it brought back memories of Reg Varney of On the Buses fame, I remember seeing him tickling the ivories on a few entertainment progs back in the day. He was also the first person to use a cash machine.
Reg Varney and the cash machine; yep, in Enfield.
He was also a performer on the stage in music halls and made a number of films. His first big part was in 'The Rag Trade'.

JAD

LE
How weird @Kirkz, I was watching a youtube clip just last night on Michael Robbins (Arfur) from 'On the Buses', he was the long suffering husband with the motorbike and sidecar combo with his with Anna Karen (Olive). As you do, I then watched several related clips with the actor Stephen? who played Blakey and then Reg Varney.
He was a lad in his day was Reg, just like his character 'Butler', with an eye for the ladies. Yes, he used the first ATM cash machine in 1967? Then, I seen a picture of him doing the full Jerry Lee Lewis on the piano in a music hall. I never knew Reg was a concert hall veteran after my 55 years on this planet and here I am talking about it twice in 24 hours.
This is twilight zone stuff Kirky lad.

As for Winifred Atwell, I saw an interview a while ago with Chas Hodges. He was a very talented multi instrumentalist and a very sought after session player in the 1960's along side Ritchie Blackmore and Jimmy Page amongst others for his guitar work. But as well as being pretty good on the drums too, he put his musical influences down as Winifred Atwell on the piano that forged his stomping, key thumping and then soft ivory fettling style he showed when he was with his musical partner Dave. Cheers.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Everybody out!! Was that Nellie Pledge in the rag trade @old_fat_and_hairy ?
The actress was Miriam Karlin, I can't recall her character name.There were a plethora of (now) well known faces in that series. Babara Windsoe, Sheila Hancock, Christopher Beeny, Gillian Taylforth,Wanda Ventham and many, many more.

Ah, the wonderful Violet Carson. Appeared many times with Wilfred Pickles on his game show 'Have a Go, Joe' on the steam wireless. A contemporary of Betty Driver, also known as 'Bet of the Rovers', who was quite a glamorous actress and film star in the 40s. And a very close friend of the ex speaker of the HoC. Betty Boothroyd.
Thread drift ..... my Bold ... incredible wireless programme .... memorable for when the list of prizes / donations was read out near the end by Mable at the table .... typically ... a plucked chicken , bunch of flowers , a home made cake , a mixed bag of vegetables , money to the value of five pounds two shillings and sixpence , a Postal order to the value one pound ... how times have changed .... back on thread .
I was not aware that Violet Carson and Betty Boothroyd were close friends ... obviously from her entertainment days .

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thread drift ..... my Bold ... incredible wireless programme .... memorable for when the list of prizes / donations was read out near the end by Mable at the table .... typically ... a plucked chicken , bunch of flowers , a home made cake , a mixed bag of vegetables , money to the value of five pounds two shillings and sixpence , a Postal order to the value one pound ... how times have changed .... back on thread .
I was not aware that Violet Carson and Betty Boothroyd were close friends ... obviously from her entertainment days .
I may have written that in a slightly misleading way, it was Betty Driver and the Ex Speaker who were close friends. Allegedly.

But as to the prizes etc, indeed how things change. If you recall 'Take your Pick' with Michael Miles. Prizes on offer ranged from 5 shillings to -I think - 25 Pounds. Perhaps even less, my memory fades somewhat.

I may have written that in a slightly misleading way, it was Betty Driver and the Ex Speaker who were close friends. Allegedly.

But as to the prizes etc, indeed how things change. If you recall 'Take your Pick' with Michael Miles. Prizes on offer ranged from 5 shillings to -I think - 25 Pounds. Perhaps even less, my memory fades somewhat.
"Open the box!"

"No! Take the money!"

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
Everybody out!! Was that Nellie Pledge in the rag trade @old_fat_and_hairy ?
Didn't Nellie Pledge star with Arthur English? Eee I must get a second hand for this watch.
Stood standing there naked nude with nothing on.
Speaking of Blakey from On the Buses I have a vague memory of a series where he retired to Spain with his sister (can't remember the actresses name) called Don't Drink the Water Iirc.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Didn't Nellie Pledge star with Arthur English? Eee I must get a second hand for this watch.
Stood standing there naked nude with nothing on.
Speaking of Blakey from On the Buses I have a vague memory of a series where he retired to Spain with his sister (can't remember the actresses name) called Don't Drink the Water Iirc.
Yup. Nellie Pledge was the wonderful Hylda Baker and co-star Jimmy Jewel. He, of course had been one half of the very popular ( at the time) comedy act Jewel and Warris. The show was 'Nearest and Dearest. It was all about the pickles.

I will go ask Miss Dianne (quoting Benny here).
Anyone here old enough to recall who was the Rolls Royce chauffeur when Meg Richardson got married. Please no using the google foo folks. You were either there or you won't.
Also, did Paul McCartney and Wings play the outro music to Crossroads?
Sorry, its a slow news day :)
Larry Grayson.