Dead pool 2021

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Never heard of him, though I do recognise him from Chernobyl.
I wonder what he requested for his last meal?

Christ he looked older than 54, must have been all that acting in Chernobyl.

Try as I might, I could never warm to 'Friday Night Dinner'. The storylines were thin or nonexistent and the characters strange and unlovable. The character played by Paul Ritter was odd and annoying. He seemed borderline educationally sub-normal to me. The two brothers are infantile, irritating and pointless. Mark Heap's character was just too weird to be even slightly believable.

Someone must have liked it, though. There have been six seasons of it. Ritter's demise might now draw a line, but prepare for the endless repeats.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Try as I might, I could never warm to 'Friday Night Dinner'. The storylines were thin or nonexistent and the characters strange and unlovable. The character played by Paul Ritter was odd and annoying. He seemed borderline educationally sub-normal to me. The two brothers are infantile, irritating and pointless. Mark Heap's character was just too weird to be even slightly believable.

Someone must have liked it, though. There have been six seasons of it. Ritter's demise might now draw a line, but prepare for the endless repeats.
He was good in Chernobyl though, I just didn’t recognise the name.

. . . though I thought he was damned good as Deputy Chief Engineer Dyatlov in Chernobyl.

He captured (what we suppose to be) the rampant mediocrity of the late era Soviet bureaucracy: self-serving and morally bankrupt.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Paul Ritter apparently lived near me, just outside Faversham Kent in a converted pub. I only know this as he was on a pub quiz team and his team showed up in my local 2 years ago. No pun intended but he was the brainy one in that team and answered most of the questions correctly. Apart from that he sat quietly looking very much like a middle aged nerd. Very sorry to see him go-especially as I'm the same age!

. . . though I thought he was damned good as Deputy Chief Engineer Dyatlov in Chernobyl.

He captured (what we suppose to be) the rampant mediocrity of the late era Soviet bureaucracy: self-serving and morally bankrupt.

I have not seen Chernobyl. He may well have been an absolutely cracking actor and I'm sure he was only doing in 'Friday Night Dinner' what was required of him by the writer/producer (on whose family background the sitcom is said to be based).

Never heard of him, though I do recognise him from Chernobyl.
I wonder what he requested for his last meal?

Christ he looked older than 54, must have been all that acting in Chernobyl.

Sad to hear this, he was fantastic in Chernobyl and I found him hilarious in Friday Night Dinner, mainly because a lot of the stuff his character came out with reminded me of my own dad who died five years ago, especially the scenes where something had gone wrong and he was kicking off.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Paul Ritter apparently lived near me, just outside Faversham Kent in a converted pub. I only know this as he was on a pub quiz team and his team showed up in my local 2 years ago. No pun intended but he was the brainy one in that team and answered most of the questions correctly. Apart from that he sat quietly looking very much like a middle aged nerd. Very sorry to see him go-especially as I'm the same age!
How do you think us old bar stewards feel:???:

Worried that’s what.

How do you think us old bar stewards feel:???:

Worried that’s what.

Whilst I'm not quite 40 yet, my dad died at 58 and his dad was a similar age when he went, so it does make me feel like I've got the sword of Damocles hanging over me with each passing year (which I guess we all have). I just hope my healthier lifestyle and not working for decades among dust, smoke and pesticides that are now banned will give me a bit more longevity. If I can be like my granddad on my mums side who just turned 90 and still rides his motorbike then I'll consider it a life well lived.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I find FND to be totally hilarious, but then again, I am a 14 year old pensioner, both of which I am proud of.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm a late convert to FND and the first time I watched it, I thought it was shite, but I stuck with it and started to appreciate it. Martin Goodman was my departed dad, always complaining about the heat whilst topless or in the shed messing with something.

He was excellent as Dyatlov in Chernobyl as well, with his withering contempt and know-it-all attitude, even when the evidence was glaring him in the face.

Only a couple of years older than me, too. Sobering thought.

Maybe THOUSANDS of prayers to be answered . . . .

TONY BLAIR !!

Just seen him interviewed on BBC Parliament (Free View 232) . . . he looks really, REALLY, rough . . . grey, lost weight, frail, old . . . really old.

Unfortunately, still very articulate . . . still spouting the same self-important bollocks :( .

Last edited:

Latest Threads