Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead pool 2021

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Begining to look like the way to become 'famous' is to die!

Punk rock was created?

I always thought it was largely just the noises of of people with no talent bought by people with no taste.
Siouxsie Sioux would like a word with you.

screen-shot-2015-08-31-at-11-40-25-am.png

Punk rock was created?

I always thought it was largely just the noises of of people with no talent bought by people with no taste.
I did say "some would say" :p Personally not a fan.

I did say "some would say" :p Personally not a fan.

They opened the Blackpool Punk weekend about 11 years ago, I was there to see SLF

Kirkz

LE
They opened the Blackpool Punk weekend about 11 years ago, I was there to see SLF
American punk wasn't really punk though was it, it was just rock under a different name.
Utter shite.

American punk wasn't really punk though was it, it was just rock under a different name.
Utter shite.
That'll probably be why they quickly re-labelled it as New Wave.

Kirkz

LE
That'll probably be why they quickly re-labelled it as New Wave.
I keep seeing The Ramones labled as a Punk band.
I think Jilted John were more punk than The Ramones were.

pc flaps

War Hero
Utter shite.
Can't remember who but someone said in the US, punk was just "an excuse for badly played hard rock" at a faster tempo. Over here punk was cool. In America it was massively uncool. I mean, Devo?

Anyway, who's on the cover of the (few remaining) music mags now? All the bands punks hated and wanted to kill off.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Anyway, who's on the cover of the (few remaining) music mags now? All the bands punks hated and wanted to kill off.
Geldoff detested rock. He took Waters' shilling to star in The Wall, then finally understood what he thought he'd hated. Within three years Geldoff wanted Floyd to open Band Aid, but they'd split. Waters disappeared for a while. Gilmour played backing guitar through the day. I especially remember seeing him behind Roxy Music.

Come Live 8, there was one band more than any other that he wanted to see on stage, and for one night only, Pink Floyd and Waters played together. I remember watching the BBC interview Gilmour before Live 8, where he described Geldoff's desperation to get them on board.

I also remember BBC interviewed Gilmour right after Bowie.

"Thanks David, and now let's speak to Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour."

"How come you call him David, but I get 'Dave'?"

Kirkz

LE
Can't remember who but someone said in the US, punk was just "an excuse for badly played hard rock" at a faster tempo. Over here punk was cool. In America it was massively uncool. I mean, Devo?

That was never going to happen, even the Pistols sold out eventually, though it took Sid killing himself and the spilt up to cause it.

Latest Threads