Dead pool 2021

Greavsie introduced me to a new term of abuse, gink. Listen to the reaction in the background when he calls someone a gink at the one minute point. It was discussing the weather forecast and the Met Office never getting it right

RIP Greavsie. His books or after dinner speaking were a bath of nostalgia. When he started with Chelsea, they put him in the 4th XI, who played in the Hornchurch and District league! Hard to imagine now.

My favourite Greavsie story was when Alf Ramsey asked him about a couple of forwards he didn't rate

Greaves: "dunno, there's small choice in rotten apples"
Ramsey: "come on Jimmy, what was that, rotten apples we speak English, the language of Shakespeare"
Greaves: "er, Alf. That was Shakespeare"

Blimey, Boycie's carked it as well. RIP John Challis.

Greavsie introduced me to a new term of abuse, gink. Listen to the reaction in the background when he calls someone a gink at the one minute point. It was discussing the weather forecast and the Met Office never getting it right

I love his honesty and common sense. Even back then, he was calling out the ‘look at me’ style of certain TV presenters and weather forecasters. Classic example last week when BBC morning News went into almost orgasmic, gushing praise of one of their Presenters (Louise Minchin) leaving the show. I liked Minchin, but ffs, just do your job and read the News or present the Weather. Jimmy had them nailed, many years ago, bless him.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Shame, I mentioned last week that I saw him live in a play, great stage presence and a voice that filled the theatre. RIP.

I'm not sure I have a false memory here as looking back it seems so unlikely to have happened on television.

But I do have a memory of Greavsie referring to an incident in the '80s when Brian Clough slapped a supporter, as 'The shit hitting the Fan'

I'm not sure I have a false memory here as looking back it seems so unlikely to have happened on television.

But I do have a memory of Greavsie referring to an incident in the '80s when Brian Clough slapped a supporter, as 'The shit hitting the Fan'
True! At 4.30

I don't think Greavsie said it on tv though. But he definitely said it. Cloughie would probably have taken it as a compliment.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
True! At 4.30

I don't think Greavsie said it on tv though. But he definitely said it. Cloughie would probably have taken it as a compliment.
I seem to remember it being on TV with him saying something like 'there's an example where the sh1t really did hit the fan'.

Chef

LE

As opposed to Rex Harrison, who could be a bit obnoxious, who got punched by someone trying to get an autograph. As a delighted onlooker said.

'First time the fan's hit the shit!'

BlipDriver

Old-Salt
From the BBC report, a last laugh?
Screenshot_20210919-190032.png