Dead Pool 2020

Sounds like Ian Anderson may not be with us much longer, particularly if he doesn't have an effective self-isolation strategy during the current pandemic, presumably on his estate on the Isle of Skye. A sad loss to the music world when he goes.

'Ian Anderson has revealed he’s suffering from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and was diagnosed with the lung condition a couple of years ago. The Jethro Tull leader makes the comments on the new episode of Dan Rather’s The Big Interview, which will be broadcast tomorrow night (May 13) at 8pm ET on AXS TV.

'In a video clip from the show, Anderson says: “I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anybody in public before – I am suffering from an incurable lung disease which I was diagnosed with a couple of years back. “I do struggle. I have what are called exacerbations – periods when I get an infection that turns into severe bronchitis and I have maybe two or three weeks when it’s really a tough job to go out there on stage and play. Fingers crossed, I’ve gone 18 months now without an exacerbation and I’m on medication. If I’m kept in a reasonably pollution-free environment in terms of air quality, I do OK. But my days are numbered. It’s not yet at the point that it affects my day to day life – I can still run for the bus."

'Asked what the prognosis is, Anderson replies: “Fight it all the way – keep using as much of your lung power as you’re lucky enough to have and push it to the limit all the time. The minute you settle back and say, ‘I can’t do this any more,’ it’s a slippery slope. The answer is keep pushing.”

'Asked what the disease is called in medical circles, Anderson replies: “Popularly termed COPD, where you lose some of the ability of your lungs to give you enough oxygen. I spend 50 years of my life on stage among those wretched things that I call smoke machines. Today, they’re politely referred to as hazers, as if they’re somehow innocent and not damaging to you lungs. I really do believe that’s a very significant part of the problem I have.”

'In the interview, Anderson also touches on a variety of topics, including his work on raising awareness about climate change, the new biography The Ballad of Jethro Tull and how Eric Clapton inspired him to become a flute player.'

Has he got Aqualung?

Kirkz

LE
Ask cross eyed Mary.
I guess he'll be fighting the Beastie before he says Cheerio, with a slow marching band.

Kirkz

LE
I still rate Tulls Broadsword and the Beast as the best live concert I've been too.

exspy

LE
The Jethro Tull leader makes the comments on the new episode of Dan Rather’s The Big Interview...
Quite frankly, the surprising thing to me is not poor Ian's sad medical condition but that Rather was able to find another gig and is still working. Gormless git.

One of the first LPs I ever got was This Was, when Mick Abrahams was still the guitarist. It's stood the test of time. I wasn't so fond of them after he'd gone. They had changed direction.

Kirkz

LE
Saw him at Wembley with Fleetwood Mac wasn't impressed with either, very disapointed. Hall and Oats were good though
Hall and Oates should be shot for what they did to Mike Oldfields Family Man.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
Hall and Oates should be shot for what they did to Mike Oldfields Family Man.
Haircuts was enough to get them shot

Last edited:

TheAssassin

War Hero
Astrid Kirchherr has died.

She was the girlfriend of the talented one from The Beatles (Stuart Sutcliffe) until he died.

Died three days ago, Pete Best actually tweeted her a Happy Birthday yesterday.

Sounds like Ian Anderson may not be with us much longer, particularly if he doesn't have an effective self-isolation strategy during the current pandemic, presumably on his estate on the Isle of Skye. A sad loss to the music world when he goes.

'Ian Anderson has revealed he’s suffering from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and was diagnosed with the lung condition a couple of years ago. The Jethro Tull leader makes the comments on the new episode of Dan Rather’s The Big Interview, which will be broadcast tomorrow night (May 13) at 8pm ET on AXS TV.

'In a video clip from the show, Anderson says: “I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anybody in public before – I am suffering from an incurable lung disease which I was diagnosed with a couple of years back. “I do struggle. I have what are called exacerbations – periods when I get an infection that turns into severe bronchitis and I have maybe two or three weeks when it’s really a tough job to go out there on stage and play. Fingers crossed, I’ve gone 18 months now without an exacerbation and I’m on medication. If I’m kept in a reasonably pollution-free environment in terms of air quality, I do OK. But my days are numbered. It’s not yet at the point that it affects my day to day life – I can still run for the bus."

'Asked what the prognosis is, Anderson replies: “Fight it all the way – keep using as much of your lung power as you’re lucky enough to have and push it to the limit all the time. The minute you settle back and say, ‘I can’t do this any more,’ it’s a slippery slope. The answer is keep pushing.”

'Asked what the disease is called in medical circles, Anderson replies: “Popularly termed COPD, where you lose some of the ability of your lungs to give you enough oxygen. I spend 50 years of my life on stage among those wretched things that I call smoke machines. Today, they’re politely referred to as hazers, as if they’re somehow innocent and not damaging to you lungs. I really do believe that’s a very significant part of the problem I have.”

'In the interview, Anderson also touches on a variety of topics, including his work on raising awareness about climate change, the new biography The Ballad of Jethro Tull and how Eric Clapton inspired him to become a flute player.'

Don't write off Ian Anderson for some years yet. Dan McCafferty from Nazareth also has COPD. He retired from Nazareth in 2013 but recorded a studio album in 2019, "To go into a studio and sing isn't like doing a gig. I could always make another record, but getting up to do an hour and three-quarters, and get people to pay money to come and see me — I can't do that." Dan McCafferty - Wikipedia
It is an evil condition though.

ACAB

LE
IF Trump and Pence kick it Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the house becomes president. If you think Palins a moonhowler get a load of san fran nan

What a feckin moonhowler!!!

One of the first LPs I ever got was This Was, when Mick Abrahams was still the guitarist. It's stood the test of time. I wasn't so fond of them after he'd gone. They had changed direction.
They started off as a Rock/Blues band but morphed into a Prog Rock/Folk outfit after his departure. Their first album with Martin Barre, his replacement, was a cracker - Benefit. Aqualung remains my all time Tull favourite. Here’s wishing Mr Anderson many years yet!

Latest Threads