Dead Pool 2020

Clive Cussler has filled his last page, aged 88.

I enjoyed his books when I was a teenager, but now I find them unreadable, whether it's finding Abe Lincoln's body in a ship a hundred miles inland in the Sahara, or a treaty signed between the USA and UK that sold Canada to the States, they were mindless entertainment.
Agreed. Pure cut and paste jobs.

Agreed. Pure cut and paste jobs.
As soon as an author does books 'with', it is time to stop reading 'em, IMHO.
Cussler 'with', Wilbur Smith 'with', WEB Griffin 'with', Tom Clancy 'with'...
Yep, all just sausage machine/contractual obligation airport novels nowadays.
I gave up on all the above a long time back.
And Forsyth's last saga (SWIDT?) was one which made me think 'Ok Freddie, good story, but wasn't ALL your own work, was it?'
It just didn't 'read' like a Forsyth novel.

philc

LE
A name from the past, would of thought she would of been disappeared.

Nexhmije Hoxha, the widow of Albania’s Stalinist dictator Enver Hoxha, died on Tuesday aged 99, her son said, having fallen dramatically from grace following his death but remaining the staunchest defender of his isolationist regime.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Clive Cussler has filled his last page, aged 88.

I enjoyed his books when I was a teenager, but now I find them unreadable, whether it's finding Abe Lincoln's body in a ship a hundred miles inland in the Sahara, or a treaty signed between the USA and UK that sold Canada to the States, they were mindless entertainment.
Wasn't he one of those American authors like James Michener, who outsourced the actual writing of his books once he became famous?

Certainly agree on your summary of his oeuvre.

Wasn't he one of those American authors like James Michener, who outsourced the actual writing of his books once he became famous?

Certainly agree on your summary of his oeuvre.
I have no idea, but I'm grateful for Cussler in one sense because he was the first author I read for pleasure, instead of the books assigned by my teachers which I loathed without exception. He whet my appetite for books.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have no idea, but I'm grateful for Cussler in one sense because he was the first author I read for pleasure, instead of the books assigned by my teachers which I loathed without exception. He whet my appetite for books.
I still read Cussler, he's written several different characters now, I quite enjoy the Isaac Bell series, a private detective (think Pinkertons) set around the turn of the century with all of the technological discoveries of the age written into the stories.

I still read Cussler, he's written several different characters now, I quite enjoy the Isaac Bell series, a private detective (think Pinkertons) set around the turn of the century with all of the technological discoveries of the age written into the stories.
Fair dos, but I gave up on Cussler probably over 20 years ago when he started collaborating with other authors and we were getting into "A novel from the NUMA files" type stories, instead of his Dirk Pitt/Al Giordino novels. Incidentally, that's also when I gave up on Tom Clancy, as he was getting into his "NetForce" dreck.

As @CaptainRidiculous says, as soon as an established author starts collaborating "with", it's time to throw in the towel.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I enjoyed most of Cussler's books, except when he made a cameo appearance in each one. Surely the heroes of the story must have realised this old codger kept turning up! That said, the stories were fun and if taken with a decent sized pinch of salt, were decent bedside reading. They are harmless fun as opposed to the bollocks and Bullshit churned out by certain ex-THEM who really should know better!

I enjoyed most of Cussler's books, except when he made a cameo appearance in each one. Surely the heroes of the story must have realised this old codger kept turning up! That said, the stories were fun and if taken with a decent sized pinch of salt, were decent bedside reading. They are harmless fun as opposed to the bollocks and Bullshit churned out by certain ex-THEM who really should know better!
I agree entirely that the stories were fun, mindless diversions that I enjoyed when I was a young lad, but my tastes have changed over the years. I tried revisiting "Vixen 03" a few years ago just to see what it'd be like, but I gave up because it just didn't interest me anymore.

But Cussler in a roundabout way did give the world a great quote about the movies. When "Raise the Titanic" was made into a flop of a movie that lost money, the director Lew Grade said "Raise the Titanic? It would've been cheaper to lower the Atlantic".

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah, one of the last great character actors. He could be found in every genre. The go-to bloke for a "chirpy cockney geezer".

Latest Threads