Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Pool 2020

syrup

LE
Didn't James Bolam do something of the kind with the Likely Lads? Although it was said that in this case it was more to do with Bolam ******* over Rodney Bewes by cutting off a badly needed income stream after they had had a very acrimonious falling out.

According to Bewes it was costing them £150k per year in repeat fee's.

I am not from the sceptered Isle, but I have seen references to the expression 'boom-boom' on older British television shows. I distinctly recall an episode of Minder where a ne'er do well character played by James Booth ended all of his sentences with boom-boom. By the end of the episode Terry, Arthur and Dave were using it too.

Can one of you kind gentlemen please explain to me the significance of this? Who, why and where?

Thanks.
Let us not get into such delights as :
"they don't like itup 'em!"
"I'm free..."
"My pussy..."
and

Let us not get into such delights as :
"they don't like itup 'em!"
"I'm free..."
"My pussy..."
and

'My pussy' (or 'may posseh' as Mrs Slocombe pronounced it) still makes me laugh out loud. Not because it was a particularly effective or clever catch phrase, but because every time it was used, the intended double entendre was being got past the censorious BBC suits. I believe that a similar strategy was employed by the writers of Round the Horne and Spike Milligan. It was pure point scoring for the simple joy of spreading mischief.

Very few catch phrases make much sense The science reached its zenith (nadir?) with ITMA, which seemed to consist entirely of nonsensical catch phrases. ("Funf speaking", "Can I do you now, sir?", "I don't mind if I do").
Similarly, who can forget Hylda Baker's memorable, "She knows, y'know"

I think that "boom-boom" predates Basil Brush's adoption. It is probably a vocalisation of the old music hall and variety theatre cliche (Max Miller?) when the orchestra pit drummer would play a rapid double strike on the bass drum to emphasise a comedian's punchline.

"Where's me washboard, eh... eh?"

'My pussy' (or 'may posseh' as Mrs Slocombe pronounced it) still makes me laugh out loud. Not because it was a particularly effective or clever catch phrase, but because every time it was used, the intended double entendre was being got past the censorious BBC suits. I believe that a similar strategy was employed by the writers of Round the Horne and Spike Milligan. It was pure point scoring for the simple joy of spreading mischief.

Very few catch phrases make much sense The science reached its zenith (nadir?) with ITMA, which seemed to consist entirely of nonsensical catch phrases. ("Funf speaking", "Can I do you now, sir?", "I don't mind if I do").
Similarly, who can forget Hylda Baker's memorable, "She knows, y'know"

I think that "boom-boom" predates Basil Brush's adoption. It is probably a vocalisation of the old music hall and variety theatre cliche (Max Miller?) when the orchestra pit drummer would play a rapid double strike on the bass drum to emphasise a comedian's punchline.

"Where's me washboard, eh... eh?"

Spike got around the prissy BBC censors, by naming one of the characters in the goon show as Mr Huw Jampton.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
A legend among great Welsh & Lions Rugby
View attachment 516119

And a day when Rugby Royalty was on show.

JJ off to play with the other greats forever.
When rugby was proper rugby and entertaining.
Great players and not stop start every ten seconds, a scrum was a scrum which was set and the ball put in straight away. Today’s players wouldn't come close to those greats especially playing on those pitches.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Now that is sad. I liked Sir Tom. He was never a shrinking violet and got up a lot of peoples' backs.

I liked his films where, regardless of the role, he played Sean Connery :)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

syrup

LE
At least there will be some decent films on in his memory

We can relive the moment in Goldfinger where he gets defeated by a mirror and loses a game of chicken with himself

Probably fancies a cup of Hancocks tea about now

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
1604147872508.png

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
1604147939013.png