Dead Pool 2020

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BBC News - Jack Charlton: England World Cup winner and ex-Republic of Ireland boss dies aged 85
That's sad, another of a great sporting era gone. I did like the Charlton brothers, always came over as down to the ground people.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That's sad, another of a great sporting ear gone. I did like the Charlton brothers, always came over as down to the ground people.
He was a guest speaker in my works canteen in the year 2000-ish. Very accomplished speaker and raconteur. Highly amusing, particularly on the subject of Gary Sprake throwing the ball into his own net.

He was a guest speaker in my works canteen in the year 2000-ish. Very accomplished speaker and raconteur. Highly amusing, particularly on the subject of Gary Sprake throwing the ball into his own net.
.... to his pride he never quite lost his Ashington accent ... one of the old school of Footballers who wore dubbined boots , bamboo shin pads and played with a real leather ball in a time when it was still more of a game than big business ... RIP Jack Charlton .

BBC News - Jack Charlton: England World Cup winner and ex-Republic of Ireland boss dies aged 85
When he was manager of the Republic of Ireland the story was that he never paid for a drink. He would go to a pub and set up a tab. At the end of the night he would settle up and pay by cheque. The cheques would end up being framed and displayed by the pub landlords so never actually cashed.

.... to his pride he never quite lost his Ashington accent ... one of the old school of Footballers who wore dubbined boots , bamboo shin pads and played with a real leather ball in a time when it was still more of a game than big business ... RIP Jack Charlton .
They just showed him scoring his first England goal against Finland at Wembley. The leather ball looked the size of a small asteroid!
RIP to one of the old school. My claim to fame is I once met his Mum and she was full of pride for her two lads.

Latest Threads