Dead Pool 2019

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
John Haynes, master of the cut & paste motor manuals.

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of John H Haynes OBE, the creator of the famous Haynes Manual, founder of the Haynes Publishing Group PLC and the Haynes International Motor Museum. John passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on the evening of Friday 8th February, aged 80, after a short illness. John was a kind, generous, loving and devoted husband, brother, father and grandfather, who will be missed enormously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Annette, his brother David and sister Mary, his sons J and Chris and their families.

Read the full obituary here: https://haynes.com/en-gb/john-harold-haynes-obe-obituary
He started his business while on National service in the RAF, building lightweight sports cars from Austin 7s, printed a few instruction manuals and away it went

1549916253788.png

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
John Haynes, master of the cut & paste motor manuals.

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of John H Haynes OBE, the creator of the famous Haynes Manual, founder of the Haynes Publishing Group PLC and the Haynes International Motor Museum. John passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on the evening of Friday 8th February, aged 80, after a short illness. John was a kind, generous, loving and devoted husband, brother, father and grandfather, who will be missed enormously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Annette, his brother David and sister Mary, his sons J and Chris and their families.

Read the full obituary here: https://haynes.com/en-gb/john-harold-haynes-obe-obituary
So sorry to hear that. His manuals brought so much happiness to so many people and have probably only beaten as a divorce reason by alcohol and infidelity! :D

His manuals live on as his legacy.

JH's manuals got me out of many a mechanical hole in the past and I have one for the Mk1 MX5 and the VW T4. Slightly overtaken by the dreaded interweb and youtube.

I loved the blurred pictures and they always seemed to have helpul slightly vague instructions like ' the speedometer cable is located on the gear box casing and is easily replaced. First remove engine." Helped me keep a succession of cars going though and I owe him.for that. Museum is good too.

The newer manuals on aircraft etc are really good too (I spent all my pocket money recently on the ones for the Mosquito, Stuka and Tiger tank as they were reduced in The Works bookshop and cheaper than a magazine from Smiths.)

One of my few books as a child was a Haynes manual. Pored over, thumbed, treasured. I remember it all.

Any cunt need help fixing up a Reliant Regal?

RIP JH.

Gordon Banks RIP. From the days when you could name every player in your team and a few other teams besides. I still vividly remember his save from Pele at the 1970 World Cup - awesome. Childhood memories. Very sad, but I believe he had been ill for sometime.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Gordon Banks RIP. From the days when you could name every player in your team and a few other teams besides. I still vividly remember his save from Pele at the 1970 World Cup - awesome. Childhood memories. Very sad, but I believe he had been ill for sometime.
Not only name them but spell them. These foreign names drive me mad, I can’t name half the players in teams nowadays and I even struggle with the team I support, Man Utd.
Sorry to hear about Gordon Banks, he never made stand out saves other than the famous Pele 1970 effort. His positioning was spot on and he made every save look easy, England missed him when he retired.RIP.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So sorry to hear that. His manuals brought so much happiness to so many people and have probably only beaten as a divorce reason by alcohol and infidelity! :D

His manuals live on as his legacy.
Very true. I had a Haynes manual for my first four cars. After that they got a bit complicated, still it was fun looking after cars back then, thank you Mr Haynes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 51
Invicta The NAAFI Bar 14
spaz The NAAFI Bar 53