Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dead Pool 2018

Aretha has had top billing over the last day or so, and rightly so, but I wonder how many spotted the demise of Lorrie Collins.

I only knew of the "Collins Kids" through a record (Beetle Bug Bop) which was repeatedly played at a rockabilly venue I used to go to as a teenager. I researched them and assumed they were just a "one hit wonder", a novelty act by a couple of kids.

I've since found out that they were one of the most talented and innovative acts of the late 1950s in the US, the younger brother Larry co-writing "Delta Dawn", and being top class musicians in the days when recording was done in one hit, without sophisticated tweaking (see also Buddy Holly).

It's a shame these things only come to light when people pass away.

Aretha has had top billing over the last day or so, and rightly so, but I wonder how many spotted the demise of Lorrie Collins.

I only knew of the "Collins Kids" through a record (Beetle Bug Bop) which was repeatedly played at a rockabilly venue I used to go to as a teenager. I researched them and assumed they were just a "one hit wonder", a novelty act by a couple of kids.

I've since found out that they were one of the most talented and innovative acts of the late 1950s in the US, the younger brother Larry co-writing "Delta Dawn", and being top class musicians in the days when recording was done in one hit, without sophisticated tweaking (see also Buddy Holly).

Here you go

Not quite one hitters, I remember 'Hoy Hoy'. I think they were a bit of a novelty act, actually. Talented, for sure, but I think that after their initial flourish they just lived on their early success without developing. They got to the stage where their early precociousness didn't count for much anymore.

Hettie Williams.
You won't have heard of her but she is well worth a mention:

Aberfan Teacher

Hundreds came to pay their respects to the teacher at her funeral on Thursday - including some of the pupils whose lives she saved that day.

The 23-year-old schoolteacher led her pupils to safety as the school was engulfed.

Hettie Williams died in early August and her funeral was held at St David's Church in Rhymney on Thursday.

Speaking to BBC Wales on the 50th anniversary of the disaster in 2016, she described how she could "still see the children in the classroom" at the spot where the junior school once stood.

Nobody forgets a good teacher.

RIP

He will always be remembered as the UN Secretary-General with the funny name... but not nearly as funny as Ban Ki-moon, U Thant, Trygve Lie or Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

I think that he probably failed, in that respect.
He will always be remembered as the UN Secretary-General with the funny name... but not nearly as funny as Ban Ki-moon, U Thant, Trygve Lie or Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

He had some criticism but on balance he seemed to do quite a bit of good.
I noted an amusing anecdote about him being mistaken for Morgan Freeman and signing autographs as Morgan Freeman, just so he could escape the fans. I was going to quote the reference but it looks like the article has since been post edited...

Last edited:

For some reason, the name that always got me smiling when read out by newsreaders was Joshua N’Komo, Bob Mugabe’s side kick. Silly really, similar to replying “the c*nt” every time Jeremy Hunt gets a mention on the radio! Small things keep small minds amused! :smile:

For some reason, the name that always got me smiling when read out by newsreaders was Joshua N’Komo, Bob Mugabe’s side kick. Silly really, similar to replying “the c*nt” every time Jeremy Hunt gets a mention on the radio! Small things keep small minds amused! :smile:

Yes indeed, I think the desperate attempts to pronounce "NKomo" sparked a pisstake by Not The Nine O'clock News, if I remember rightly. :D

Yes indeed, I think the desperate attempts to pronounce "NKomo" sparked a pisstake by Not The Nine O'clock News, if I remember rightly. :D

I think that was in acknowledgement some of the newsreaders and announcers of the time going slightly over the top with foreign pronunciations - similar to the way some insist on 'Cheeleh' for Chile. Yes, it may be the way they say it over there, but I bet that they're quite happy pronouncing British place names in their own way.