Dead or alive...........your coming with me!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Skunkmiester, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if it will have the same impact as the original. I remember the original scene when Murphy gets killed to be pretty shocking. But now that kind of thing is on Youtube and it's for real so I doubt this version will have the wow effect.

ROBOCOP - Official Trailer (2014) [HQ] - YouTube

Still looks good though.
  2. I was having this discussion with the Mrs the other day. It's a bit old codgery of me but there seems to be very little in the way of original script writing. So much money spent on the films means that they are so risky that they seem to be written by committee. The only genuinely original film I can think of in the last few years is Avatar. The rest seem to be remakes or unoriginal comedies.

Still, it looks pretty good, I'll give it a whirl.
  3. There have been a few pants remakes over the last few years, Red Dawn, Total Recall, etc etc, but there has been original stuff too.
    The blood and ice cream trilogy from Simon Pegg has been original.
    Dredd was a decent enough film and almost wiped the memory of the atrocious Stallone disaster.
    The last Star Trek one (haven't watched Into The Darkness yet) was an interesting take on an old favourite.
    Warm Bodies was an excellent twist on the normal zombie genre.
    Cloud Atlas is a completely original and probably ground breaking film.

I'd always say that remakes should be given a chance. At times they exceed what the original was simply because they can use techniques not available when the first film was made.
    Of course the opposite can also happen where the filmmakers are so obsessed with using new special effects they forget the bits of the film that made the original a classic.

I'll give Robocop a chance, as long as Ed209 is still in it

Sent via Crayola, using the red crayon
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

summer blockbusters are predominantly cgi and little acting, half the promotional material is based on the amount it cost to make and the huge fee for its 'star'* the reboot thing is an attempt to get the middle aged to watch stuff they have been shying away from by playing the nostalgia card so people will go along to see what might have changed with smith in 'I am legend' vs hestons 'omega man' or how they might work the A team into a movie.

* will smith/tom cruise delete as applicable.

at least it's better than when we were kids and they would re release old films making out they were new for the younger viewers - jason and the argonauts for example, not that they were bad films but we were conned a bit into paying full price. it was pre video clubs, multi channels and internet though and to be fair cinema was a lot cheaper compared to now.
  5. And of course, the original Robocop was 26 years ago.
    Apart from the 30-50 year olds who'll see it for the sake of nostalgia the other demographic they'll be aiming for, the 17-25 year olds, weren't even alive to see the original so it will all be new to them

Sent via Crayola, using the red crayon
  6. The Italian Job and Get Carter were made long before I was born and I wont give the remakes the time of day
  7. There are some decent films out now and then, despicable me and despicable me 2 were ball bouncingly funny.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

get carter I thought was a reasonable remake and worked as a film without the title.