Dead laptop assistance

It might be worth opening it up to see if the CPU fan need replacing and whether it can be replaced. A defective CPU fan/sensor will cause a shutdown when enough current is drawn after the system boots.
From the sound of it the laptop doesn't power up to be able to start the POST checks. Powertrain fault does sound feasible.

Obviously your laptop doesn't have any power to start a boot sequence.

Remove the battery and unplug the charger for 5 minutes then put it all back together making sure your charger is green lit. If you then get a charging light on the laptop wait another 5 minutes then attempt a restart.

If you do need a new laptop buy a hard drive reader at the same time. You can 'clone' the old drive onto the new laptop, there are free apps out there that will do this quite easily. Taking the old drive out is simple.

Be warned: There are free apps out there that will do this quite easily but after farting around for an hour or so a payment will be required to finish the job.

A bit of research prior to using a drive reader is advisable.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Obviously your laptop doesn't have any power to start a boot sequence.

Remove the battery and unplug the charger for 5 minutes then put it all back together making sure your charger is green lit. If you then get a charging light on the laptop wait another 5 minutes then attempt a restart.

If you do need a new laptop buy a hard drive reader at the same time. You can 'clone' the old drive onto the new laptop, there are free apps out there that will do this quite easily. Taking the old drive out is simple.

Be warned: There are free apps out there that will do this quite easily but after farting around for an hour or so a payment will be required to finish the job.

A bit of research prior to using a drive reader is advisable.

Just a thought- You could buy a SATA enclosure and put your old hard drive in there. Not only does it then change it to an external, portable drive, but it also gives you some extra storage space for your laptop and all your old files are "backed up."

Agreed. Good ones have lasted over ten years. Fans and keyboards can be replaced fairly easily. Replacement batteries and power supplies readily available. Questionable design decisions over recent years, particularly keyboards, though some users may not notice. Some enthusiasts go as far as fitting keyboards from older models, which requires flashing with custom software, new screens etc. This is really impractical for all but a dedicated minority. I'd be looking at a Dell business class machine as these are designed for ease of maintenance. I wouldn't touch a consumer class machine for business use. It's very likely to fail sooner rather than later and be a PITA to find spares for, due to very short model runs.
IMHO Dell has been impeccable with service commitments, I had a fried Mobo on my alienware, technician was over and replaced defective part within 3 days

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Opened it up and had the voltmeter on it.

There are no in-line fuses inside the case and power is reaching the multi-connector to the mother board. The battery is showing the rated 17.2 volts and so is holding a charge. There are no obvious blown caps or ICs. There's no power reaching the fan or anything else as far as I can tell.

I therefore conclude the the motherboard is FUBAR and that @kelvin_273 has found the correct solution of killing it with fire.

I have removed the HDD and will recover any needed files from it.

Looks like I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas.

It's a business laptop, not a gaming machine.

I'm looking online at the HP website and a decent i7 with 16GB of RAM comes in at less than £1,000.

The main requirements are that it's reasonably light, has a good screen and keyboard and at least a reasonably quick i5 or AMD equivalent plus plenty of RAM as I often have 8-9 things open at the same time.

As it's a business machine, the choices are limited. Acer have dropped the ball recently, Asus are a bit cheap & nasty so Dell, Lenovo or HP are the brands of choice.

My kids both have HPs and SWMBO has a work Dell. I'm fairly impressed with all 3 machines.
Asus make decent laptops too

Similar thing happened to my neighbour's HP Probook 4515s.

Great little 15.6" laptop that was an IT resale about 7 years ago. All he ever did on it was some paperwork, emails and surfing the internet. About a week ago the internal graphics chip stopped working and although the laptop started up the screen was dead. After some searching on T'internet I eventually had a good idea what the issue was - the video chip had gone - there were ways of heating it up to re-flow the connections but it was uneconomic to take it to a repair shop.

I got him a 2 year old 17" HP laptop from Fleabay for £145, again another IT resale which had been returned to the shop and the software reinstalled. Nothing too spectacular in terms of performace but then again he doesn't need it to be. Once I'd set Win 10 up for him and installed Office 2010 plus some ad-block and privacy extensions onto Google Chrome I took the HDD out of the old laptop and stuck it in a caddy. After that then it was copy and paste his work files over to the new laptop and he was up and running less than 4 days after his old lappy went pop.

If it's knackered and the business is paying get yourself something with a decent spec to it and just stick the old HDD in a caddy, save yourself the problems of trying to get replacement MoBo.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking at a 15" Intel i7 HP Probook for about £900 with 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD. There is also an AMD equivalent at a similar price.

I will lose the VAT so it will cost £700 which I can write off through tax via the business.

Had a look at Dells, but they are significantly more expensive for the same spec.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Never had a bad HP, suffered a few early-life failures with Dell, everything from laptops to servers. maybe just luck, but my experience non the less.

Looking at a 15" Intel i7 HP Probook for about £900 with 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD. There is also an AMD equivalent at a similar price.

I will lose the VAT so it will cost £700 which I can write off through tax via the business.

Had a look at Dells, but they are significantly more expensive for the same spec.

There is purchase cost and there is cost over life. I suppose it may depend on how long you intend to use it before replacing it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
There is purchase cost and there is cost over life. I suppose it may depend on how long you intend to use it before replacing it.
I'm planning to retire in a couple of years, in fact, 2022 will be my last year of working full time. I'm then dropping to part time [no more than 50%] and working only for those customers that I want to continue working with.

But I tend to keep my computers until they die. I have a 13 year old Acer laptop running Win7 [originally came with Vista!] known as "the slab" -- short for paving slab. Which is fine for working at home and has had a bigger hard disc fitted to enable using it as backup and a new keyboard which cost all of £11. The battery life is only about 2 hours - which is all it ever was and I wouldn't want to lug it around.

It also has the advantage of running some legacy software, and if all I'm doing is typing a report then it's fine. But for serious work and travel, I want something lighter and faster.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Agree. Had loads for work since about 1999. Suffered all sorts of unintentional abuse and still going strong. I have a T430 with the noisy fan feature and found some software to sort it out as I am too lazy to take it to pieces. Last one before I retired was an X1 Carbon, bought a decent spec one for £169 from a charity store on ebay and so far it has not disappointed and is what I am using now. Dropped a couple of times onto carpet due to mongery, but so far so good. Felt slightly cheated as the power brick I "kept" from work failed as it was newer than the one the ebay one came with, but £9.99 inc. shipping from a UK seller on the auction site sorted that.
@RBMK I can also recommend the X1 Carbon, although apparently the older models are superior to the current ones. I have a 2015 one that I've abused and its still basically fine.

Also since electronic anything prices are still batshit insane, a refurb or second hand might be your best option. Bad luck having to buy a new thing in the middle of a worldwide component shortage.

Oh, and from what you've described it's not the RAM because the onboard would get further through a startup than that, so you're narrowing it down to processor or integral motherboard component of some kind.

I have an Acer Travelmate Pro 2410. Core i5, 12GB of RAM and 500GB HDD.

It's about 4 years old and is my work / travel machine. Sitting in a hotel Tuesday evening writing an email, there was a "ping" noise and the machine died instantly.

It's not the PSU as I've tried another one and it's not the HDD. There is a charging light on the front but this isn't coming on at all. The light is orange when charging, blue when fully charged.

Plugging in and pressing the on/off button doesn't even get to the BIOS boot stage or power on password.

It's deader than disco.

Fortunately I haven't lost much as all my work is backed up onto an external drive, all that's gone is a couple of files that I'd put on the desktop temporarily and my "to do" list, but I expect to be able to recover these by taking out the HDD and connecting to another machine.

Before I start taking it apart any clues as to what has gone titsupp would be appreciated.

Is there an internal fuse or has the motheboard gone chips? and the big question of whether it's likely to be fixable or do I bin it and buy another one?
I don't understand why @pc supa gave you a 'dumb' without any explanation for what I thought was a reasonable question.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't understand why @pc supa gave you a 'dumb' without any explanation for what I thought was a reasonable question.
He is my very own private troll following me round the site banging on the mong buttons.

He's all bent out of shape because I'm only a never served civvy MOD contractor and he has a thing about civvies.

He thinks that he's upsetting me by wasting his time following me round the site.

He'll be back on here soon venting his impotent spittle flecked rage by knocking off a few more pixels. :D

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
He is my very own private troll following me round the site banging on the mong buttons.

He's all bent out of shape because I'm only a never served civvy MOD contractor and he has a thing about civvies.

He thinks that he's upsetting me by wasting his time following me round the site.

He'll be back on here soon venting his impotent spittle flecked rage by knocking off a few more pixels. :D
1639223028425.png

Quod erat demonstratum.
;)

That's because he randomly started giving them to me for no reason, I did the same and he went bleating to the mods. That's why.

That's a bit childish. As an adult shouldn't you be rising above that?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads