Dead End Pages - Volunteers required

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Good CO, Apr 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Shows a list of dead end pages, ie. they lead nowhere and have no outgoing links. It is clear that this life and death situation must be dealt with as quickly as possible. Who knows the extent of the damage that such one way e-streets could cause? Help is needed and you are just the man / woman / person / creature to help.

What needs doing?

Signallers: There are plenty of signals units there which are totally empty entries. No idea why. I would be grateful for content for those pages if you know anything about them.

Anyone: An example: is a long article. Let's take the word 'French'on the first line. A fine candidate for a link. A quick search (box on the left) shows that the page 'French' not only exists, but it well worth linking to.

Click edit in the top of the article, enter brackets around the word, so: [[French]] then save the article. You'll have to have an account and log in to do this - sorry our resident lunatics are to blame for this - but it's very very easy to do, no email confirmation and so on.

So please, STOP WORK, pick two articles and add one to three slack handfuls of links to each.
  2. Foreman edited and added link to Yeoman of Signals not a great entry but better than what was there before
  3. Happy to help where I can so will register and have a rummage. If you have anything specifically required let me know
  4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Another good way to solve the problem is by using navigation templates - check out the bottom of this page to see my 'Ranks' navigation template. I've done others as shown here. If you want me to do others for a particular subject (i.e your unit, capbadge, etc) then let me know. To add them to a wiki entry just put:

5. Bad CO

If you don't fancy the dead end pages - how about the Orphaned pages?
  6. I've noticed what seems like hundreds of dead threads. When I first came to ASSRE I trawled a while through the ARRSEhole and noticed many threads had not been posted on for a couple of years, some had very few posts and many threads were similar. Like advice for 1.5 miles! I did not trawl through all 300+ pages and I doubt if anyone else does either.

Why not cut out all these seemingly dead threads, place them out of public view as a temporary thread for a year and if no one pipes up whining about not being able to find their old thread (that has lay dorment for 3 years) then tough? If they do pipe up (snore Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) then replace their thread.

Just an idea, I hope it's useful to you.
  7. J_D

J_D LE

Doom, you do realise they are talking about the wiki, no arrse threads.
  8. No, not sure. I may have read the post while full of Guniness. Yes, I went to a small kids birthday party with my wee son and got a little bit rat-arrsed!
  9. Was bored a few days ago, saw the post on dead ends and set to killing a few of them. What can you do to the empty ones ones you cant link to anything?? I noticed the dead end link list is dynamic and reduces when you link a page, is the orphaned list also dynamic? because pages still appear on the list even though they are linked... Or have I just missed the point somewhere???
  10. Empty pages need filling up with stuff JB (cracking work so far BTW).

One or two folk created empty pages as a way of getting them off the "wanted pages" list, which only really swapped one problem for another.

Some of the others may be where a spammer created them and filled them with tat, which has since been deleted.

Somewhere, there is a list of the shortest pages, which should give you a pointer as to which are blank.

You could always drop a "stub" template into otherwise empty pages, or create a category "empty page" perhaps so we can track them down and beat them into a bloody pulp?

Keep up the good work.

11. F B

Might just have a play with creating a empty page category. Will the powers that be be able to kill them easily that way, or is it just moving the problem again?

12. I was looking at some of the 3000 odd wanted pages, some of them are only linked from one page, is it considered 'bad form' to edit the originating page and kill the link?
  13. Bad CO

14. Why? If the page has sat there for ages with no-one wanting to fill in the page, then it can hardly be important.

besides, if someone has some inspiration and wants to create that page, then they can simply create the new link.

Kill'em off Junior.
  15. StabTiffy

Personally I can see your point, but if the CO's say don't edit original pages and kill the links and you go ahead and do it, it would seem to be a good way of getting your account killed.

Anyhoo, I still have lots of retired time on my hands and I'm up for any other ideas for a tidy up but I can't create pages if I don't have subject matter knowledge.