deactivated weapons

Have they mentioned ammunition supply please? (just wondering as it's the obvious hurdle to overcome).
They didnt explain the fact that RFDs have to record powder and primer sales and that sales can only be made to FAC holders which was a critical point.

True I have seen patches made with home made primers on a colt that's scarey

Bren was made for me by a chap in Southport, , the barrel is solid, can be removed, but classified as a non gun as it has never nor can be made to discharge anything.

The emotive, fact deficient drivel is all too evident even in this short clip.
They say six people killed & "dozens" injured by antique firearms but conveniently forget to say over how many years.
There's probably been more people killed by dodgy takeaways than that.
UK gun laws: How strict are they?
ETA $2,250 for an antique?
It's way less than that for a Glock or a SIG if you wander over to eastern Europe & shove it under the car seat.
If you'll take a Makarov it's cheap as chips
Chances of being stopped: Somewhere between a million to one & zero.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
How about continuing to allow responsible people to enjoy shooting and firearms and hand out punitive punishments to abusers of same?
You there !
You can stop with that kind of bolshie talk !

Just let those that know best get back to punishing inanimate objects and law abiding taxpayers, otherwise where will it all end ?
You can't have people running around willy-nilly with rights and other such ridiculous ideas, however will we then subjugate them ?

Have they mentioned ammunition supply please? (just wondering as it's the obvious hurdle to overcome).
Ah that thorny matter. I watched a bit of last night's panorama and it would appear that the real issue is that of internet control and it's not dissimilar to the medicinal issue. They made the point that the legitimate ammo dealers will call for a licence- other's won't. LE have known for decades that light touch especially on Ferries and the shuttle let alone unmanned marinas have been a risk in terms of weapons importations-in fact it's fairly common knowledge. To me the the Key has always been ammunition not the weapon

Ah that thorny matter. I watched a bit of last night's panorama and it would appear that the real issue is that of internet control and it's not dissimilar to the medicinal issue. They made the point that the legitimate ammo dealers will call for a licence- other's won't. LE have known for decades that light touch especially on Ferries and the shuttle let alone unmanned marinas have been a risk in terms of weapons importations-in fact it's fairly common knowledge. To me the the Key has always been ammunition not the weapon
It is the key issue. If weapons are being smuggled into the UK then it is likely ammunition is brought in at the same time (that would make sense). In terms of obsolete calibre weapons, quite detailed research is needed to find out whether, for example, any modern rounds fit a .44 S&W Russian revolver and are safe to use in the same in terms of chamber pressure upon firing. As you know, there are web sites where what in the UK would be regarded as obsolete calibre ammunition can be sourced, albeit it can be expensive. IIRC, some modern .44 revolver ammunition can be modified to suit use in .44 S&W revolvers but you would need to know what you were doing [I don't! :)].
I suppose the question is, if you were prepared to conduct the necessary research, and to set up PO boxes, and a means of paying not linked to a name or bank account, could you get ammunition delivered to the UK at low risk? To my mind, the risk would be too high but I know it's been attempted and failed so it has likely been attempted and worked [on the basis that prevented crime is a small proportion of crime that succeeds].

ugly

LE
Recent claims by the home office point to a select bunch of crooked RFD's supplying ammo to the chav antique trade. Interestingly if the pistol blows up in their hands they have no recourse to law!
Several of these Rfds were allegedly involved in unregistered section 5 weapons from before the 1988 act. Add to that old collectors who didn't hand in stuff when they had the opportunity and there are an awful lot of firearms out there in circulation (for circulation read under beds etc) however we have yet to descend into anarchy.

It is the key issue. If weapons are being smuggled into the UK then it is likely ammunition is brought in at the same time (that would make sense). In terms of obsolete calibre weapons, quite detailed research is needed to find out whether, for example, any modern rounds fit a .44 S&W Russian revolver and are safe to use in the same in terms of chamber pressure upon firing. As you know, there are web sites where what in the UK would be regarded as obsolete calibre ammunition can be sourced, albeit it can be expensive. IIRC, some modern .44 revolver ammunition can be modified to suit use in .44 S&W revolvers but you would need to know what you were doing [I don't! :)].
I suppose the question is, if you were prepared to conduct the necessary research, and to set up PO boxes, and a means of paying not linked to a name or bank account, could you get ammunition delivered to the UK at low risk? To my mind, the risk would be too high but I know it's been attempted and failed so it has likely been attempted and worked [on the basis that prevented crime is a small proportion of crime that succeeds].
.44 Russian case length compared to say .44 S&W. It’s not rocket science for anyone who loads ammunition. Edmunds, a Registered Firearms Dealer went down for thirty years for it:
Major victory in war on gun crime as WMP brings down firearms supply chain | News | West Midlands Police

I caught the tail end of this program, a question if I may indulge some.

Are not the pistols brought, deactivated so a knowledgeable gunsmith would be required? This seemed to have been missed out in the program.

As has been pointed out, is it worth the £2500 to buy some Russian .44 when its easier to visit some East London or wherever dodgy boozer and either rent or buy some cheap import.

I caught the tail end of this program, a question if I may indulge some.

Are not the pistols brought, deactivated so a knowledgeable gunsmith would be required? This seemed to have been missed out in the program.

As has been pointed out, is it worth the £2500 to buy some Russian .44 when its easier to visit some East London or wherever dodgy boozer and either rent or buy some cheap import.
Obsolete calibre weapons are not deactivated. They are available to buy legally, at reasonable prices depending on what you are after (but a lot less than £2,500) because it is meant not to be possible to obtain ammunition for the same.
A search of 'buy obsolete calibre weapons uk' will show what's out there.

ugly

LE
They do tend to rise in price due to availability to collectors. I recall 450 MH going off ticket and Martini Henry prices tripling overnight!
There have been instances of maliscious prosecution by North Wales police over collectors having both sect 58 and section 1 swiss rifles in a collection quite legally but because the FEO could force a GP11 cartridge in to the chamber of the sect 58 it was an offence.
Luckily thrown out in court!

ugly

LE
Wonder how long it will take till they get to these
A fair few held on ticket for shooting were sold as originals and were clearly replicas.
I have fired one, only after being shown the difference did it become clear!

A fair few held on ticket for shooting were sold as originals and were clearly replicas.
I have fired one, only after being shown the difference did it become clear!
This one I only let loose once, it blew up in the vice, it's used as a show peace now, the young un's think it's a pirate "gun"