deactivated weapons

An interesting excerpt from a London govt report on, inter alia, the source of guns used in crime in the capital:

'Guns enter the capital in a number of different ways: from overseas,
from other parts of the UK, or through the theft from licensed suppliers
and owners.
The Met said that “surprisingly low numbers” of legally owned firearms
are stolen in London: “single figures for rifles, pistols and revolvers and
low double figures for shotguns.” It highlights, however, that weapons
may be stolen in other parts of the country and brought into the capital,
and when this happens it is “very hard for [the Met] to control without
specific intelligence relating to such thefts”.

The available intelligence relating to thefts of legally owned firearms has
changed in recent years. Mike Eveleigh, from the British Association for
Shooting and Conservation, told us that the Home Office used to publish
information from each police force area which “included the type of
gun, where it was stolen and when it was stolen”, but that this has not
been produced since 2005. This, he suggests, has left organisations such as BASC relying on “the media and what our police friends tell us” in
monitoring the theft of legally owned guns and any rise in gun crime.

The supply of guns into the UK from abroad is a growing concern. The
NCA says that the “principal supply route” is through ports, via private
and commercial vehicles. It suggests that small, “but increasing
numbers” of weapons are originating from Eastern Europe, particularly
de-commissioned guns which “are easily converted” into a viable
weapon, but that there is still “a lot of traffic” from America.

The use of technology is changing the way people can access guns. The
NCA said it is “seeing more activity through technology”, in particular
the use of the ‘dark web’. Through this, it suggests, individuals can
“order maybe parts of a weapon or indicative parts of a weapon and […]
with a small amount of effort and sourcing parts within the UK or
elsewhere, they can put together a handgun or a pistol that is viable
that we would regard as a prohibited weapon here.”
The Met works closely with suppliers and owners of legal guns, and law
enforcement agencies across the country to “make it as hard as possible
for individuals to buy weapons”. For example, the Met works in
partnership with the NCA to tackle the supply of firearms moving
internally within the UK. The result, the Met suggests, is that “it is still
hard to gain access to guns in London.”

Source: Gun crime in London January 2018 - Greater London Authority

I have often wondered about the 'assembling a gun from components' method. Many Sten parts can be bought in the UK (you knew I was going to say Sten :)) and you might only need to source individual components from the US, if you find the right (well, wrong) sort of seller.
You can buy all the components of a STEN or any other weapon up to a 50 BMG from Gun Parts corp / Numrich warehouse in the US, the only restricted parts are the body with the serial number on, for a STEN the tube, an AR the lower, a pistol the frame. Most old spec deact SMG's , and pistols were easy to reactivate.

You can buy all the components of a STEN or any other weapon up to a 50 BMG from Gun Parts corp / Numrich warehouse in the US, the only restricted parts are the body with the serial number on, for a STEN the tube, an AR the lower, a pistol the frame. Most old spec deact SMG's , and pistols were easy to reactivate.
All very good but also a criminal offence with long jail time to import any of that into the UK , what you can buy in the US has fcuk all to do with UK law , old spec deacts can no longer change hands legally in the UK.

You can also be jailed for exporting US "legal" items out of the US , see ITAR regulations.

Was it? I thought first of all you were talking about ‘remanufacturing ammunition’ and it was mentioned what the definition of an antique under 58(2) is ie it’s not covered, until you put the two together.

You then mentioned using an ‘arquebus’ (presumably a muzzle loading matchlock type firearm) not being a firearm (due to the definition and being used in crime) and advised it would no longer be covered by the ‘kept as a curiosity or ornament’?

Bottom line is if it’s an antique firearm and held as a ‘curiosity or ornament’ it’s not covered by the FA’68 (other than Schedule 3, public place, trespass and prohibited). If it’s no longer held as a ‘curiosity or ornament’ eg ‘in use’ it is covered by the FA’68.
Yes with respect I get your point, but isn't that illogical. It means that the definition is dependent on the use to which it's put, but the licence (if necessary or exemption) is dependent on the use declared and I think this is where the problem lies. the Offences where they happen trigger a different definition

What does this mean for reenactors? If they can't get any deacs then will shows like War & Peace simply disappear?

Members of reenactment groups etc are exempt.It's why I can't buy a deac SLR.Even as a ex reg/TA soldier,former SAA instructor.
What if they eventually wanted to sell the firearm to another reenactor? Couldn't you buy one and say you were a reenactor? How do they tell if someone is or isn't?

What does this mean for reenactors? If they can't get any deacs then will shows like War & Peace simply disappear?
They can get de acts , its just that they no long dry fire / cock /strip down etc , everything has to be welded together so nothing moves or can be stripped.

So reenactors won't be able to cock or dry fire their guns or be able to sell them on if they decide to move on... I can't see this being good news for the War & Peace, Military Odyssey etc.

So reenactors won't be able to cock or dry fire their guns or be able to sell them on if they decide to move on... I can't see this being good news for the War & Peace, Military Odyssey etc.
Yes they/you/everyone can own and sell LATEST SPEC deacts , its just the old stuff has to go in for "re" deactivating and re proofing before it can change hands.

I don't know the full ins and outs,museum staff and suchlike are also able to have deacs and replicas.Something about being work related and historical presentation to the public,that sort of stuff.
I just find it galling that a fat walt can own an SLR and we can't.
Derrrrrrr you can own a latest spec SLR /GMPG/STEN/STIRLING ETC.

Those who really miss "That Rifle" can actually own a firing one if you have an FAC , the only difference is you have to cock it every time.

SLR

100 agreed.
Plus, actually fund the border force so they can police the border and carry out more random searches of vehicles, etc. The chance of being stopped at the border are so slim that people are willing to take the chance of bringing things in. Add to that un-policed points of entry like small harbours and some people will run the risk.
I had a 30 minutes wait at Manchester airport, Sunday night, because my 12 year old had had a haircut and the border guard felt he was substantially unrecognisable from his passport. Issued in Liverpool in July.

Eventually got an apology with a self-deprecating smile (border guard -Black Somalian(?), imperfect English - was clearly a decent guy doing his best).

Explanation: white kids look the same.

Errrmmmmm..... could his time have been better spent?

A few months ago, stopped by G4 or whatever tragic losers do security at Manchester because of my key ring; a grenade ring with a 7.62mm empty case, drilled sideways to allow its use as a key fob.

“That’s ammunition. You can’t take it to Switzerland”

I can’t even finish this anecdote. Too painful.

I had a 30 minutes wait at Manchester airport, Sunday night, because my 12 year old had had a haircut and the border guard felt he was substantially unrecognisable from his passport. Issued in Liverpool in July.

Eventually got an apology with a self-deprecating smile (border guard -Black Somalian(?), imperfect English - was clearly a decent guy doing his best).

Explanation: white kids look the same.

Errrmmmmm..... could his time have been better spent?

A few months ago, stopped by G4 or whatever tragic losers do security at Manchester because of my key ring; a grenade ring with a 7.62mm empty case, drilled sideways to allow its use as a key fob.

“That’s ammunition. You can’t take it to Switzerland”

I can’t even finish this anecdote. Too painful.
You can't take an empty case key ring to Switzerland? A country where people drive around with assault rifles in the boot of the car.
The irony.