deactivated weapons

i know, strictly speaking shouldn't be in shooting as they no longer shoot.

who do we know that could do a good de-ac'd folding stock AK variant compete with correct paperwork?

any suggestions?

cheers, Taff

ugly

LE
WWA or Ryton Arms, failing that google millweb.

ugly

LE
You get the cert when you buy it, I'm reasonably sure its illegal to sell without one!

You get the cert when you buy it, I'm reasonably sure its illegal to sell without one!
i don't know about illegal to sell.

More like it can't be proved to be a deac (Section 8 '88 Act) without the proof marks and cert. From memory the proof houses will issue duplicate certs on production of the firearm (for a fee).

Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988
8 De-activated weapons..

For the purposes of the principal Act and this Act it shall be presumed, unless the contrary is shown, that a firearm has been rendered incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile, and has consequently ceased to be a firearm within the meaning of those Acts, if—
(a)it bears a mark which has been approved by the Secretary of State for denoting that fact and which has been made either by one of the two companies mentioned in section 58(1) of the principal Act or by such other person as may be approved by the Secretary of State for the purposes of this section; and .
(b)that company or person has certified in writing that work has been carried out on the firearm in a manner approved by the Secretary of State for rendering it incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile.

Try d and b militaria. Always a fair price, the folding stock variants most likely going to be an AKM. If you try and get one that was deac prior to '95 it will still "dry fire" or if you go for a pre '83 deac it will be field stripable.

Afternoon all, the search function found this old thread so....
I am looking for an old spec Sten, none about through the online dealers so I thought I would have an ask on here. Does anyone have any leads or one in a corner for a realistic price?
GW

I am looking for an old spec Sten, none about through the online dealers so I thought I would have an ask on here. Does anyone have any leads or one in a corner for a realistic price?
GW
The law has recently changed on de acts , dont think you can buy one that doesn't meet current specs either privately or through a dealer @scalieback may know.

;-)

ugly

LE
I know someone with a very good RIFA. Mk2 sten I recall. Interesting too

You won't be able to get hold of an old spec legally anymore unfortunately, they have to be re-proofed to EU standards (ie ruined).

What Mk Sten are you after, just out of curiosity. 

GW
The law has recently changed on de acts , dont think you can buy one that doesn't meet current specs either privately or through a dealer @scalieback may know.
The HO Circular is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...firearms_provisions_-_HO_Circular_-_final.pdf
Basically 2017 legislation added Section 8A Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988: Firearms (Amendment) Act 198
(1)It is an offence for a person who owns or claims to own a defectively deactivated weapon—

(a)to make the weapon available for sale or as a gift to another person, or

(b)to sell it or give it (as a gift) to another person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative posts guys, wow, the EU have really done a stitch up on the deact scene. No wonder a lot of dealers have quit the industry.

ugly

LE
And that is another reason why this is so badly thought through, deacts have been around for decades, there must be millions out there with no way of tracing who owned what and when

The prosecution would have to rely on someone grassing up the seller. A gift type offense isn't going to be easy to prove who did what. They really have fecked it up haven't they. I expect licensing airguns to be another mess on its way
I don't recall saying it was good legislation. You'd be surprised what people give away in interview.

I also don't think any licensing dept wants to licence air weapons. Just the Scottish ones went along with the decision of the Scottish govt.

The HO Circular is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...firearms_provisions_-_HO_Circular_-_final.pdf
Basically 2017 legislation added Section 8A Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988: Firearms (Amendment) Act 198

That document is an absolute horror in its ramifications; they've really set out to criminalise anyone with a passing interest in firearms.

A lethal weapon is now defined as a barrelled weapon with 1 joule of muzzle energy. Thats about 1/3 the power of an airsoft! This probably turns many childrens' toys into licensable firearms!

They've also essentially made it illegal to posses any gunsmithing tools - or even basic machine or shed tools - unless you are an RFD.

By grandfathering pretty much all existing de-acts, the government/EU has basically robbed the population of millions of pounds worth of personal assets - without compensation (Re-cutting and reproofing a weapon is probably around £100 trade these days; and there isn't the slightest chance of the Proof Houses having capacity to re-test everything thats already out there).

That document is an absolute horror in its ramifications; they've really set out to criminalise anyone with a passing interest in firearms.

A lethal weapon is now defined as a barrelled weapon with 1 joule of muzzle energy. Thats about 1/3 the power of an airsoft! This probably turns many childrens' toys into licensable firearms!

They've also essentially made it illegal to posses any gunsmithing tools - or even basic machine or shed tools - unless you are an RFD.

By grandfathering pretty much all existing de-acts, the government/EU has basically robbed the population of millions of pounds worth of personal assets - without compensation (Re-cutting and reproofing a weapon is probably around £100 trade these days; and there isn't the slightest chance of the Proof Houses having capacity to re-test everything thats already out there).
So by doing even basic work on my own rifles in my shed I am now potentially breaking the law? Just as well I FTR ‘d my Enfields a couple of years back...best I bin the Dremel and toolbox I guess ;-)