Deactivated Firearms

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by beetroot4000, Jul 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently at my partners Auntie and Uncles place and her Uncle offered to show me his antique guns he had on display.
    He had an old musket of some sort and a Martini action Enfield, both of which had the barrels welded up to could never be shot again.

He then took me out to his garage where he had a deactivated Bren gun, which was a lot of fun to play with.
    He told me that it was deactivated so couldn't be used, but the action and trigger and everything worked fine.

I assume that all it was missing was a firing pin, but it seems a bit dangerous only having the firing pin missing to prevent it from shooting.
    Is removing the firing pin all that you have to do to deactivate a firearm?

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they changed the rules mid 90's pre then you could have full working parts but the barrel was plugged and the pin ground down or something like that. then with the daft rules on buying ammo not covering handloading kit nor components a lot of uzi's etc.. were bored back out and put on the streets.

the new rules mean everything is welded together to it cant be rebuilt.

or something like that. someone will post a link or be super exact shortly :)

3. The Bren is probably "old spec", whereby the barrel is cut/plugged and the bolt also cut across the face and firing pin cut/removed. This spec still allows the working parts to move back and forth, and for the trigger to work. In theory, the barrel should be welded to the receiver, to avoid someone doing a "quick change"...

The "new spec" has the gun virtually welded up solid.

The "old spec" had its problems when applied to battlefield weapons such as the Bren, as of course such weapons were designed to have all major parts easily swapped out - and in some types the bolt locks into the barrel extension, so cutting the "receiver" didn't in fact de-activate anything...

See if the Bren barrels comes off, and if the barrel is plugged/ cut/ pinned. If so, then its probably still legal as an old spec. Alternative is to take it to an RFD to get completely ruined into "new spec"...

Re: other old guns: any rifle classed as "obsolete calibre" according to the Home Office list can in fact be owned by anyone without a licence or any deactivation. In practice, this includes any old British military firearm before the .303" era. Hence Martini-Henrys and muskets are legal to own without a licence so long as they haven't been converted to .303" or licensable calibre.

4. There's actually a bit more to a deactivated (even "old spec") Bren than that. For example the rails on the Butt Group/Body Group have cuts and the locking shoulders in the barrel group are cut so as to fundamentally weaken the gun.

Second the current new spec (2010 - there is more than one 1995 new spec.) varies quite a bit depending on the firearm. For example: the Bren spec differs little from the pre-1995 spec.. Whereas a Sterling is welded up tight so what is left of the action (no more than 50%) cannot move.

5. Here is what was done to my Lugers and revolvers in 2000, after they, and all the others I had to have deactivated, were released from evidence after the trial of the crooked gun-dealer, Matthew Palmer of Bath.

1. Barrel plugged to within 10mm at each end with a piece of silver steel rod pressed into place.

2. Face of the breech-block machined away to 45 degrees.

3. Frame rails reduced by 50%.

4. Corresponding rails on cannon reduced by a similar amount.

5. Feed ramp totally removed.

6. Slot machined into the remains of the breech and a lump of spot-weld placed there.

The pistol strips and assembles as per normal, but it will never be capable of being made to function as a live-firing firearm again.

Revolver -

1. Same deal on the barrel, including cut-outs [longer, though - and welding.

2. Conical cutout machined into the recoil shield, including the face of the hammer, to prevent any contact between the hammer/firing pin and anything placed in the cylinder.

3. Entire centre of the cylinder removed - including anything that looks like a chamber - and an annulus of steel welded in place to fill the space left by the absent ejector star.

As with the semi-auto, everything still functions, but never again as a live firer.

I kept seven such handguns.

tac

6. That's about what one would expect tac.

What's the story on this Matthew Taylor bloke and why were your guns involved?

7. See your PM

tac

8. My last rifle is of for deactivation next month, will let you know what the result is. It's a Parker Hale 7.62 Cadet Training Rifle, shame really as it was a very accurate rifle with a Schultz and Larsen match barrel but I want to keep it and I'm giving up the F.A.C. because it's too much hassle if you don't want to shoot regularly.

9. ...that's a shame, but if you want to keep it.......

It's a great rifle, especially with that S&L barrel. I have a K31-actioned 300m ISSF target rifle in .308Win with that S&L barrel - shoots the 155gr Palma match bullet a treat, too.

tac

10. Which police area are you? With a target rifle you can probably get away with shooting just a handful of rounds over the course of a year.

11. I have a chinese made AK47 which I brought back from Afghanistan which was sent a way to be deactivated and came back with half the breech block removed and several other modifications all of which are stamped with the Birmingham assay office stamp ( X7 Stamps ) which looks (it's actually somewhere in the loft at the moment ) roughly like a crown I think

PoGs

www.pocketcomms.com

12. I think you mean the Birmingham Proof House. Unless of course the rifle is made of gold or other precious metal. :)

13. Seeing what is done these days to some beautiful guns - a local dealer had a totally complete No4[T] deactivated - makes me wonder why they don't go the whole hog, like a pal of mine, Trevor W [sadly gone] at the handgun hand-in.

He worked for a company that manufactured precision cutting equipment of the water and laser variety, and only had the one pistol to give up - A Colt Gold Cup.

In the county in which he lived, there had been some malicious rumour [later proven to have been fact] that handed-in guns were being sold by members of the police who had been made responsible for their safe-keeping, so Trevor thought that he'd get some mileage out of the rumour. Handing his much-loved pistol over to the sergeant behind the desk, he advised him to take extreme care in the handling of it. Looking VERY closely, the sergeant saw that the pistol had been cut into about 60 slices, like a sliced loaf, using the very finest water jet cutter imaginable. 'Try flogging THAT to one of your mates' said Trevor, and he turned and walked out of the door, about as happy as you could be under the circumstances.

tac

14. Yep you are spot on just having dragged it out it is a small queens crown or small "B" on the relevant parts, however I did hear of a chap who managed to grab one of Saddam Hussiens gold plated pistols that might have been assayed

15. I'd hate to think how many beautiful old guns have been more or less wrecked to deactivate them.

Too bad you cant just remove the firing pin and leave it at that.