De - Vinci Code, true or false?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by J_D, Feb 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. J_D

J_D LE

Ok this could be a big argument/discussion. If your religious then you may think this is aload of crap, which to be honest I think so too.

If De-vinci is/was right then religion to this day has been based on a lie.

Mind you De-vinci wasn't the most sane person to ever live!!

So what do you all think of this?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/nov7.html

[/quote]Led by an Alexandrian theologian named Arius, one school of thought argued that Jesus had undoubtedly been a remarkable leader, but he was not God in flesh. Arius proved an expert logician and master of extracting biblical proof texts that seemingly illustrated differences between Jesus and God, such as John 14:28: "the Father is greater than I." In essence, Arius argued that Jesus of Nazareth could not possibly share God the Father's unique divinity

2. My personal belief? You should get out there and read the different materials then form you own opinion. Websites very rarely give a considered view unless all they do is hold journals.

From the brief reading I've done it seems that the said book you'll be basing this thread on is good fiction but in the end just that fiction.

Also I believe elsewhere there has been a debate on this very matter stemming from the Catholic group who's name has escpaed me for now, something dai i believe.

I am personally a happy Christian but I am also open minded and listen to any arguments people make on the matter. After all we have free will ;).

3. Oh no! Not the Welsh Secret Society :D

4. And Arius was a heretic! Nuff said! :wink:

5. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

So, to recap, people want to know if a religion whos book talks about the creation of the earth and everything on it in 6 days flat is accurate, or based on a falsehood. The fact that the book has been translated, retranslated and altered throughout time for all sorts of reasons doesn't seem to make people question it.

I don't think it matters. I have my opinions, others have theirs and some have faith. Each one to their own.

6. J_D

J_D LE

I don't personally believe in the "De-Vinci Code" I think its aload of rubbish, I mena hidden codes in the painting "Last supper" etc thats rubbish.

If this is supposed to be true then why has it not been proved to be right yet?

Some one else claimed that the new testiment is about J. Cesare, that every thing that was written about jesus wasn't actually him but actually about this great Roman leader!

I think this is also crap.

I am a catholic and I do believe in what I have been taught over the years but I also have an open mind.

Let people investigate what they what. But in my view De-Vinci was insane, they should tell you everything :lol:

7. The basis of the book was taken from the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" minus the really boring bits! Both are great read but there are a lot of inaccuracies in TDVC (esp the Paris Church) and the foundation of the HBHG could be considered as flawed too. The idea that Jesus was married and had children is, perhaps not fully accepted by the church, but the church is acquainted with it. There were many "heresies" dating back to the time of Christ (for references, dig out HBHG) so the possibility exists. Is the book true, no.

8. Religion based on a lie??? What, you mean the stories about a big fairy in the sky who is all-loving, all good, yet is responsible for all bad that happens in the world (if he's all powerful, he could just make everything good) isn't true? And it took me to the age of 10 to work this out??? :roll:

Flame on, krissjuns... :twisted:

9. J_D

J_D LE

But logically, even though in the islam/muslim beliefs that jesus was a prophete and that our god is the son of Abrahim therefore brother to the muslims god. Wouldn't this mean that their religion is based on lies too if catholicism is?

10. They said that about the matrix. Humans just couldnt ccope with a perfect world (there would be no excuse for GWB then :twisted: ) so they created a slightly less perfect world full of problems and tossers (see Msrs blair et Hoon!)

I think its all a bunch of lies created (and enforced over the years) to act as a framework with which to control the general population by both fear an awe. And as for normal "belivers" (not the chruch or presachers etc) i think it is a complex part of the human psyche which requires something to be resonsible for all the occurences that man is not responsible for or can explain!.

Basically it was used to help explain occurences which we could not explain (almost a delusion you could say :? )

Not meant as a dig at the god botherers, just my view on the human aspect of it all.

A_S

11. Kierkegaard had much to say on this,......

but i can't be arrrsed :)

12. Well its worth a watch on channel 4 tonight at 2100hrs, just to see what your all on about
    :roll:

13. J_D

J_D LE

People choose to believe in a faith for their own reasons. Why bring something out that could ruin that.

Its like believing in good luck charms, some people have religion for that. And I know it sounds stupid but this thing with De-Vinci code could put everything up in arms about it!

14. Let people investigate what they what. But in my view De-Vinci was insane, they should tell you everything :lol:[/quote]

Well he was a left-handed, dyslexic, catholic, Italian, borderline poofta, so its odds on he was also a nutter! :wink:

15. J_D

J_D LE

De-vinci's painting of "John The Baptist", in the back ground there are some rocks, one of them is shaped like a penis!