De - Vinci Code, true or false?

DO you think the De-Vinci code stands to reason?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• Do I care, no

• Total voters
Ok this could be a big argument/discussion. If your religious then you may think this is aload of crap, which to be honest I think so too.

If De-vinci is/was right then religion to this day has been based on a lie.

Mind you De-vinci wasn't the most sane person to ever live!!

So what do you all think of this?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/nov7.html

[/quote]Led by an Alexandrian theologian named Arius, one school of thought argued that Jesus had undoubtedly been a remarkable leader, but he was not God in flesh. Arius proved an expert logician and master of extracting biblical proof texts that seemingly illustrated differences between Jesus and God, such as John 14:28: "the Father is greater than I." In essence, Arius argued that Jesus of Nazareth could not possibly share God the Father's unique divinity

My personal belief? You should get out there and read the different materials then form you own opinion. Websites very rarely give a considered view unless all they do is hold journals.

From the brief reading I've done it seems that the said book you'll be basing this thread on is good fiction but in the end just that fiction.

Also I believe elsewhere there has been a debate on this very matter stemming from the Catholic group who's name has escpaed me for now, something dai i believe.

I am personally a happy Christian but I am also open minded and listen to any arguments people make on the matter. After all we have free will ;).

E

error_unknown

antphilip said:
Also I believe elsewhere there has been a debate on this very matter stemming from the Catholic group who's name has escpaed me for now, something dai i believe.
Oh no! Not the Welsh Secret Society :D

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
So, to recap, people want to know if a religion whos book talks about the creation of the earth and everything on it in 6 days flat is accurate, or based on a falsehood. The fact that the book has been translated, retranslated and altered throughout time for all sorts of reasons doesn't seem to make people question it.

I don't think it matters. I have my opinions, others have theirs and some have faith. Each one to their own.

I don't personally believe in the "De-Vinci Code" I think its aload of rubbish, I mena hidden codes in the painting "Last supper" etc thats rubbish.

If this is supposed to be true then why has it not been proved to be right yet?

Some one else claimed that the new testiment is about J. Cesare, that every thing that was written about jesus wasn't actually him but actually about this great Roman leader!

I think this is also crap.

I am a catholic and I do believe in what I have been taught over the years but I also have an open mind.

Let people investigate what they what. But in my view De-Vinci was insane, they should tell you everything :lol:

Zofo

Old-Salt
The basis of the book was taken from the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" minus the really boring bits! Both are great read but there are a lot of inaccuracies in TDVC (esp the Paris Church) and the foundation of the HBHG could be considered as flawed too. The idea that Jesus was married and had children is, perhaps not fully accepted by the church, but the church is acquainted with it. There were many "heresies" dating back to the time of Christ (for references, dig out HBHG) so the possibility exists. Is the book true, no.

Religion based on a lie??? What, you mean the stories about a big fairy in the sky who is all-loving, all good, yet is responsible for all bad that happens in the world (if he's all powerful, he could just make everything good) isn't true? And it took me to the age of 10 to work this out??? :roll:

Flame on, krissjuns... :twisted:

But logically, even though in the islam/muslim beliefs that jesus was a prophete and that our god is the son of Abrahim therefore brother to the muslims god. Wouldn't this mean that their religion is based on lies too if catholicism is?

(if he's all powerful, he could just make everything good)
They said that about the matrix. Humans just couldnt ccope with a perfect world (there would be no excuse for GWB then :twisted: ) so they created a slightly less perfect world full of problems and tossers (see Msrs blair et Hoon!)

I think its all a bunch of lies created (and enforced over the years) to act as a framework with which to control the general population by both fear an awe. And as for normal "belivers" (not the chruch or presachers etc) i think it is a complex part of the human psyche which requires something to be resonsible for all the occurences that man is not responsible for or can explain!.

Basically it was used to help explain occurences which we could not explain (almost a delusion you could say :? )

Not meant as a dig at the god botherers, just my view on the human aspect of it all.

A_S

E

error_unknown

Agent_Smith said:
(if he's all powerful, he could just make everything good)
They said that about the matrix. Humans just couldnt ccope with a perfect world (there would be no excuse for GWB then :twisted: ) so they created a slightly less perfect world full of problems and tossers (see Msrs blair et Hoon!)

I think its all a bunch of lies created (and enforced over the years) to act as a framework with which to control the general population by both fear an awe. And as for normal "belivers" (not the chruch or presachers etc) i think it is a complex part of the human psyche which requires something to be resonsible for all the occurences that man is not responsible for or can explain!.

Basically it was used to help explain occurences which we could not explain (almost a delusion you could say :? )

Not meant as a dig at the god botherers, just my view on the human aspect of it all.

A_S
Kierkegaard had much to say on this,......

but i can't be arrrsed :)

People choose to believe in a faith for their own reasons. Why bring something out that could ruin that.

Its like believing in good luck charms, some people have religion for that. And I know it sounds stupid but this thing with De-Vinci code could put everything up in arms about it!

Let people investigate what they what. But in my view De-Vinci was insane, they should tell you everything :lol:[/quote]

Well he was a left-handed, dyslexic, catholic, Italian, borderline poofta, so its odds on he was also a nutter! :wink:

De-vinci's painting of "John The Baptist", in the back ground there are some rocks, one of them is shaped like a penis!

The DaVinci Code is a moderately entertaining read - though I found myself getting bored very quickly. One of the reasons that this book is receiving so much exposure is that the author, Dan Brown, claims in the preface that his work is factually based and that the rituals and organisations he portrays in it are real - however, the fact is that The DaVinci Code is riddled with a myriad of basic factual and historical errors. It is nonsense, but nonsense that purports to be accurate. It should be read a work of fiction and nothing more.

However, we live in an age where peoples' religious beliefs are fading away, as a consequence of which many people are prepared to believe anything at all - hence the rush to embarce the nonsense being peddled by The DaVinci Code.

Agent_Smith - as usual, we are singing from the same songsheet!

Religion is, amongst other things:

a) A control mechanism
b) a mass-delusion maintained for the purposes of (a)
c) based on a logical tautology
d) the "god" figure of all religions is defined by a set of parameters which run in a circle, hence the tautology of (c)
e) a way to explain away the unknown without proving anything, like the dragon explanation of why the sun moves across the sky

I think I should quote Pascal's Wager here for the benefit of Anya, since it's not a philosophical argument, but is a gambler's argument:

You are betting on the existance or non-existence of the Xtian god. This results in 4 scenarios:

1a: you bet in, and he exists. You go to heaven for eternity
1b: you bet in, and he doesn't exist. You've wasted some of your life at church and praying.
2a: you bet out, and he exists. You go to hell for all eternity
2b: you bet out, and he doesn't exist. You've lost or gained nothing.

Hence, Pascal bets "in" because this results in the greatest reward, given even odds.

However, there are some problems with Pascal's wager:
- In case 1b, not only have you wasted some of your life, your whole life has been a lie, as has everything you have believed in.
- It is not a proof of the existance of a god, so if you use this as the basis for your faith, you probably deep down don't believe what you profess to, so should engage brain.

Until somebody proves to me that a god must exist, I shall continue to be agnositic (since if I say that there's a mad invisible zebra in my basement who controls the sexual desire of all midgets on earth, it's up to me to prove that it is the case rather than for you to disprove it, as I have made the contention).

Its like "Mary Magdeline" eventually the Catholic church admitt that she was not a prostitute yet they never apologised for the "Magdeline" Homes in Ireland that brought so much trouble and trauma to young girls

Even the shagging author said it was a load of tosh.

Anya1982 said:
De-vinci's painting of "John The Baptist", in the back ground there are some rocks, one of them is shaped like a penis!!!!!!!
And that is the sort of particularly erudite phraseology that guranteees that ARRSE will never be short of genetic garbage.

Ironic wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

(Perhaps I should have written the whole thing in 'text message' speak so she can understand it....)

Sleeper_service said:
Anya1982 said:
De-vinci's painting of "John The Baptist", in the back ground there are some rocks, one of them is shaped like a penis!
Thats odd, my penis is shaped like a rock, the Matterhorn! spooky or what??? :lol:
Dirty git, straight to bed and no supper for you!!!

I am not gambeling on a religion. I am just saying from what I have seen and been told.

I been brought up my whole life as a catholic, Sent to a convent School. you name it i was sent there and done it. All I mean is that, If this was proved to be true (doubt it would) then my whole life as well as many others has been based on a lie.

I'm not super religious or anything, just to state lol